kitty's elvish portraits

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

kestenvarn, i can't really see your problem with the hand - could you be more specific or provide a paint-over? :?

and because i'm still feeling elvish, i've got his female pendant, too. do you like her with her ear visible through the slit? or any other crits or comments?
Attachments
ranger-fem2.png
ranger-fem2.png (74.75 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

do you like her with her ear visible through the slit?
Absolutely not! It makes no sense in the world, it would not be easy to put the ears to the holes when putting the hood on and they wouldn't stay there, and the hood is loose enough to house the ears comfortably anyway. Plus, it looks just plain silly.

Both rangers are very good, stylewise. There is still the issue of vague light direction, but not big enough inconsistencies to jump out too badly. being a bit bolder with the difference between light and shadow would reinforce their character.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the way the upper front part of the hood of the female ranger sticks up looks unnatural.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I would say he has a sharp that a price boxer would be proud of. A fine and long drawn face. The length of the upper body and the relation to the head size etc..
Basically he feels a bit like greek statue.
The parts are fine just the sum feels different.
So please don't get me wrong here.
I actually quite like that. IMO, elves should have slightly inhuman proportions - they're not human, after all. Especially the higher level ones.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I would love to argue this one irrevenant but that's not the topic here nor fitting. :)

I agree with Groovy the ears though the hood is silly. Else it looks nice.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

These two images for the rangers are great. :D There have been some minor critiques posted, with which I generally agree.
JW

Post by JW »

It looks good, though a little flat. I'm glad to see some of your portraits have made it in already. :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

I agree about the ear-through-the hood bit. It looks silly and makes absolutely no sense. As mentioned, getting the ears through the holes and making them stay there would be very hard, but also: a hood is meant to protect you against weather and wind and keep your head warm (might also serve as camouflage of course). Having your ears stick out through the hood on a cold winter's day makes about as much sense as having your toes stick out of the boots. However...
Sgt. Groovy wrote:Now that I think about it, the way the upper front part of the hood of the female ranger sticks up looks unnatural.
Looks fine to me actually. Depends on what the cloak and hood is made of. I was under the impression that it's leather, in which case it could very well be stiff enough to stick up like that.

Edit: BTW, what is the English word for that garment, i.e. the hooded thingie that hangs down over your shoulders only?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I was under the impression that it's leather, in which case it could very well be stiff enough to stick up like that.
Since it's pretty matte on the surface, it looks more like cloth or softer, suede-like leather to me. Thicker leather could be stiff enough to stay up like that (though that small upward curve still would look strange), but in that case the folds would be more edgy.

I'm not sure how comfortable a hood made of such stiff material would be, the closest thing for comparison in my wardrobe is the raincoat (made of that pvc-coated fabric), softer, but already the stiffness makes the hood feel annoying.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

West wrote:Edit: BTW, what is the English word for that garment, i.e. the hooded thingie that hangs down over your shoulders only?
That would be a mantle. We actually use the same term for the arch that covers a fireplace (which has a shelf on top, which you sometimes put a clock or candles on top of).
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the upper part of the hood looked good to me...

I assumed ther was a piece of hardening material in it, which makes sense for an archer... you don't want the hood to lean down while shooting

@kitty : WOW your're amazing, the way you give life to your characters is just amazing
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Jetryl wrote:That would be a mantle. We actually use the same term for the arch that covers a fireplace (which has a shelf on top, which you sometimes put a clock or candles on top of).
Mantle, eh? I thought a mantle and a cloak/cape was the same thing. I.e. a long piece of cloth you wear across your shoulders and back. Just so you're not misunderstanding me, I mean specifically the hooded medieval garment that reaches down to the chest, like the one the female ranger is wearing. I thought it had a more exotic name.
kitty

Post by kitty »

ok, ok, the ear was just a silly afterthought.... :wink:

i redrew the rangers hand and changed her hood a bit (west, i intended it to be a gugel without the point).
i don't care much about the material, something leatherlike, a bit stiff, but still wearable...
and thank you all for your kind comments!

and i've got number 12, the elvish lady for you.... (like always: c&c please!!!) the sprite didn't offer much to work from except from masses of hair and a silver/white dress :?
Attachments
lady01.png
lady01.png (47.43 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
ranger-fem02.png
ranger-fem02.png (40.83 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
ranger02.png
ranger02.png (44.92 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Last edited by kitty on February 13th, 2008, 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:D

They're all really good.

One minor quibble - the male Ranger's right hand (the one holding the bowstring) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm not sure how to explain it - best I can say is, he should probably be holding the string with only some of his fingers, not all four. Perhaps you should look for a reference image, there should be some floating around the web.

But that's really a minor issue. Other than that they're all awesome.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kitty

Post by kitty »

thank you!

i intended him to be resting... he isn't aiming at an enemy so he can relax his finger a bit, perhaps... :P
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

kitty wrote:owhy can't i upload anything at the moment ?? :cry:
There was a problem with the attachment settings; it should work now.