Liberty's Death Squire

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Liberty's Death Squire

Post by Iris »

DISCLAIMER: I'm coder, not an artist.

Recently I made a baseframe for a custom UMC unit of mine that was based on Liberty's Death Squire, because the latter was so uglyly outdated :) that I don't believe it is still in mainline.

However, I don't feel capable of animating it, so I was wondering if it would be okay to ask an animator to animate it for Liberty. I seriously don't want to see that crappy sprite we have in there at the moment for 1.4.0.
Attachments
L2 Death Squire/Baron
L2 Death Squire/Baron
death-baron.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 9708 times
Current version
Current version
oldie-deathsquire.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 9724 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

In every way better than the current.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

It's very good looking.

The animations could be rather easily had by cribbing them from the human swordsman/lieutenant. Practically just a recolor, with certain features copy-pasted.

:? It's bordering on the unlikely side of things that I'd take this on myself, but if I did, I'd want to add it to mainline as a stock unit, as a L2 for the death knight. There's no reason not to, and a lot of reasons to do so.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| Oh wait, yeah, the death knight uses an axe.

Well, shucks-darnit, I'm sure we can figure out ... something. :lol:
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Cut and paste an axe from these perhaps?
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Um, I didn't know anyone would want it to be moved from Liberty (where it's used for the undead transformation of Lieutenants) to the core units, which is why I didn't take on the undead-battleaxe direction.

From the two samples of Eternal, I'll pick the second and work on animating it using Lieutenant's animations as base, to learn. Thanks for the suggestions. Believe me those ideas never came to my mind.

But in general, should I supply the exact amount of animations the Loyalist Lieutenant has at the moment, or can I stick to a completely different animation frames set?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Current in-progress work. I'm not happy with them, and I'll probably try to make their poses more "dynamic", but I post them here just to let you know that I'm alive and sucking.

NOTE: this is my first attempt ever at animating a sprite.
Attachments
Baseframe (corrected TC shading and other details IIRC)
Baseframe (corrected TC shading and other details IIRC)
death-baron.png (3.39 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
death-baron-crossbow.png
death-baron-crossbow.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
death-baron-crossbow-attack1.png
death-baron-crossbow-attack1.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 8789 times
death-baron-crossbow-attack2.png
death-baron-crossbow-attack2.png (2.96 KiB) Viewed 8791 times
death-baron-defend.png
death-baron-defend.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 8796 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Liberty's Death Squire

Post by Iris »

I'm very slow on this one, mainly because my campaign's own units artwork keep me busy since I'm the only one who works on them. However, I modified the crossbow animation a bit so that it looks more dynamic. Hopefully I'm on the right track; do you think I should exaggerate motion a bit more?
Attachments
death-baron-crossbow-attack2.png
death-baron-crossbow-attack2.png (2.91 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
death-baron-crossbow-attack1.png
death-baron-crossbow-attack1.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 8397 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Shadow Master wrote:I'm very slow on this one, mainly because my campaign's own units artwork keep me busy since I'm the only one who works on them. However, I modified the crossbow animation a bit so that it looks more dynamic. Hopefully I'm on the right track; do you think I should exaggerate motion a bit more?
The motion in your animations is generally pretty good, although I wouldn't do that "cloak over arm" business for defense - I'd use the following baseframe, which conveniently puts the blade arm facing the same way as the human general - I would then imitate the way the general swings his weapon, and the two-frame defense animation he has. Taking the actual general animation, and doing paste-overs/recolors is recommended - it's what I do.

Your existing baseframe is okay (which is praise, take it as such), but it's not *great*. If we're gonna mainline this, I'd like it to be nearer to "great", and I think using the other base frame would help.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 11#p288911
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jetryl wrote:If we're gonna mainline this, I'd like it to be nearer to "great", and I think using the other base frame would help.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 11#p288911
It's excellent. I'd like to do some minor edits and continue working on that thread instead.