Because I rock I deserve my own topic.

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yo, the last level 1 Drake here; the clasher.

I decided to size him up a bit, he's technicaly the toughest drake in terms of resistance and health; so I think it was kind of odd it looked so small and insignificant compared to the others;
Attachments
drakeclasherchange1.png
drakeclasherchange1.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 8310 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I don't think they'd really fit in 74x74 if unfolded.
Maybe as an idle animation then. For the level 3 huge wings unfold and hide units on the adjacent hexes showing how huge those drakes are? :D
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Image
Now I'm really starting to like those claw things. :shock:

There's only one thing bugging me about that clasher: he looks like he's overweight and/or sticking his stomach out. The impression is a bit like in this image, probably because he has his head quite far back. Having him a little bit stooped might look better otherwise too, IMO (all that heavy armour and so on; the higher level ones could then use a pose more like this one).
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

allefant wrote:
@allefant
I like to compare dragons to the old medieval european dragons who were just big reptiles with wings and to draco Razz
Maybe that level 3 just has something like this then: http://www.currumbin-sanctuary.org.au/g ... dragon.jpg

But should be up to Neo anyway.. I better don't distract any more from the excellent work in this thread :)
This is skin :) but you are right it is up to Neo. I would just find it a bit distracting.

Stretching of the wings might make a nice idle animation
On the other side since when are sprites 74x74 didn't I get the last memo?
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Okay, fixed up his big stomach a bit; hope this is better.
Attachments
drakeclasher-idle-1.png
drakeclasher-idle-1.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 9037 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I hate to say this but the leg position. In the original they looked right but somehow now I get the reminisence of a kangaroo. You basicly fixed the overweight problem but the bigger problem is the leg position.

The claws are intersting I will probably lend the idea. The rest is cool keep it coming.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

roflcopter
Attachments
heredrakeslololol.png
heredrakeslololol.png (21.28 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yo a little something;

The Drake Glider's full wingspan for those interested.

By the way, How usefull -are- gliders anyway? they're the best scouts around on large maps with a lot of terrain types; though they appear incapable of inflicting any real damage upon opponents;

do these guys have any real use outside of scounting on large maps? just curious.
Attachments
gliderbigwigg.png
gliderbigwigg.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Image
As I said on IRC, it looks like his right wing attaches to his back in a funny way or in a funny spot. Here's a quick edit that shows where I personally would see them as being attached to.
Attachments
gliderbigwigg_edit.png
gliderbigwigg_edit.png (7.43 KiB) Viewed 7648 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Actually, that wouldn't hurt; it does help A LOT with making it look more level 1 like.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I can see a few tweaks to be done to the unfurled wings, but I'll get to that later...
Neoriceisgood wrote:By the way, How usefull -are- gliders anyway? they're the best scouts around on large maps with a lot of terrain types; though they appear incapable of inflicting any real damage upon opponents;

do these guys have any real use outside of scounting on large maps? just curious.
Actually quite useful - they have two things:
a] Their melee attack isn't that bad, it's easily as good as many non-scouts (human bowmen).
b] Their ranged attack has marksman.

That last thing is really the deal-maker, because they can (quasi-)guarantee killing damage to remove threats from other drake units. Against units in entrenched positions, they're nearly as useful as burners, since they don't lose most of their damage potential to misses. With their speed and movetype, too, it's often as good as having skirmisher, since they can "fly around" in many situations where walking units can't.

They're great for flanking, and great for hit and run work - they're also more survivable than the average unit trying to do that, because they can actually run away from a fight when they get wounded, whereas most units can't.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yo, I made an image for the first leveled Drake, the Drake Gladiator;

considering he has claws, rather than holding a sword, I figured he could just hold a mace in his hand as it's not really occupied;

all other changes should speak for themself.
Attachments
revampgladiator.png
revampgladiator.png (13.15 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Roar, Drake Slasher?
Attachments
drakeslasherexample.png
drakeslasherexample.png (15.22 KiB) Viewed 7744 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoriceisgood wrote:considering he has claws, rather than holding a sword, I figured he could just hold a mace in his hand as it's not really occupied

One thing I've been thinking of for this unit is to change his impact attack to "Ram" or "Slam" - basically a glorified headbutt, augmented by that thick iron cap he's already wearing over his (assumed to be) thick skull. Basically, I have no problem with this on grounds of "realism", because drakes can be assumed to have radically different physiologies than humans; certainly, it's not too "out there" to assume that this horned creature has a thickened skull like many horned mammals (rams, mountain goats).

We could have so much fun making an animation for this. :D

"Why no other drake units do this" can be chalked up to the lack of a helmet that helps provide a good, rounded surface for doing so. (Just like it's assumed that no other drake units do the glider's slam because they're too weighed down/non-agile to do it in ample time).

As for the glider, I wouldn't mind seeing his attack animation worked into more of a proper flying kick.. I have some ideas on how to do this. :)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Sorry that I was away, I fell ill this week and really wasn't capable of doing anything due to a terrible stomach ache;

I'm back now though, I resized the Slasher a bit and will start on some more Drake stuff soon;

perhaps the best step to take now is to fully animate one of the 1st stage drakes, like the fighter or burner?