REQUEST - New images for orcish crossbowman

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Squig

Post by Squig »

i kinda agree with gus. werent archers supposed to be orcs to weak to be real grunts( aka real orcs and therefore goblins)?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Gus wrote:I was under the impression Archers and Assassins were actually goblins.
They are neither. The line between orc and goblin is quite blurred - some creatures are clearly one or other, but the ones that make up the assassin and archer lines could most accurately be called ... half orcs. They're definitely not goblins, but they're also not the big uruk-hai-like bulldozers.
Here's a crossbowman just about the height of a grunt. Too burly still?
He looks great, although he may still be a smidge too burly. Maybe 1-2 pixels less in width...

... here's an edit (also changing the color of his shoulderpads).

In fact, I think this is fairly close to a final version - apply some last-minute polish to this sucker, if you would, and then it's time for zhukov's slurbow.

Btw - great work on the crossbow itself - it looks much cleaner than before. I'll make a note that with regards to attack frames, I'd like to do to this fellow (and the slurbow) what is currently done with the thunderer; I'd like to give him directional ranged frames.
Attachments
xbowmanSmaller.png
xbowmanSmaller.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

His boots look a tad like hoofs.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

the archers are all orcs
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well, in Wesnoth, Goblins are Orcs, it's a social/power distinction, not a racial one. That's why i meant with my comment, and Jetryl's comment about Archers means that it's not definite whether they are weak or not (they are quite sturdy after all).

In any case, "the archers are all orcs" doesn't help at all since it's not backed up by any form of reasoning or justification, and that there's already an official stance on the matter.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

ok, well the archers are orcs because they are still strong enough to be excluded from the goblin title. however they are not the strongest of orcs which is why they become archers, but are still considerd to be orcs.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Jetryl wrote:the ones that make up the assassin and archer lines could most accurately be called ... half orcs.
What more do you want exactly? =/
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Gentlemen, this is a Cease and Desist order, signed by me, authorized and notarized by me.

Cease and Desist.

-Maeglin Dubh

Now, back to business. Herr Jetryl?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Gentlemen, this is a Cease and Desist order, signed by me, authorized and notarized by me.

Cease and Desist.

-Maeglin Dubh

Now, back to business. Herr Jetryl?
thanks, i was just trying to answer the question not start an argument (this is where i got my information http://zapicm.freeshell.org/stable/Orcish_Archer.html) but i agree with Krispos about the boots but thats probly an easliy fixed problem.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Those boots look like boots to me. I've drawn hoofs and they don't look alike.

Here's some hoofs: Image
Attachments
...and here's the bowman with, hopefully, final tweaks.
...and here's the bowman with, hopefully, final tweaks.
the-final-xbowman.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

i guess there not as hoof like as those (cool sprite btw) but i wouldnt hurt for his left boot could be longer/larger. on the other hand i probly wouldnt have noticed it if it wernt brought up.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The head fix for the orcish grunt (and warrior) has been committed.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Should the Slurbow use the old head?
I kinda liked the old head.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Here's an example of it.

I'll make a bow for him if he's good now.
Attachments
slurbow_205.png
slurbow_205.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Further grist for the mill; note that I don't care much about any of the *specific* things I added to the costume, but do care that it should have more "visual noise" to it in terms of additional parts compared to before.

Eternal, re: bow: his pose looks "finalized" now/in the last version you posted. Go ahead and make the bow.

There's more than one way he could end up holding it; let's start with whatever seems most natural to you and see if that works out. I like the way he's holding his dagger right now, and I think that much can be treated as 'final'.
Attachments
slurbow_edits.png
slurbow_edits.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 6254 times