Elf Portait

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Elf Portait

Post by Jormungandr »

Another portrait attempt, this one for the elf fighter: a unit line that really deserves to have a face, given that it's one of the default speakers in the main campaign.

Anyway, I'm trying something slightly odd here: no actual outline, just shading. Does it work with the vaguely cell-shaded look?
Attachments
Zoomed in
Zoomed in
elf-fighter2.png (29.29 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
Zoomed out
Zoomed out
elf-fighter.png (25.08 KiB) Viewed 8127 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

That's a brushed look, not a cel-shaded one. Also, most cels have outlines; typically you see them colored instead of black.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:That's a brushed look, not a cel-shaded one. Also, most cels have outlines; typically you see them colored instead of black.
:? Well, I don't think it could accurately be called any of the above. Truly, it's somewhere in-between.

In this case, *no*, the look would need to be tweaked, however, the core of the portrait is good, so inking over it would bring it into form. :)

-OR-

It's not so much that it needs "lines" as it needs heavier contrast (but only at specific points) to fit the style. Under the neck, for example.

For a great example of a line-less style that might work for something like this, look at the new work from http://www.machall.com, and try and understand his use of contrast.

I say "try and understand", because, both you and I, and probably he, can never get these things in entirety and certainty. Art has never been an exact science, though it's got a lot of the latter in it.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

What I was thinking of when I posted earlier - a typical style you see nowadays.

There are still outlines, but they are colored to match the surroundings. It looks cleaner.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I agree about needing heavier contrast. Looking at the hair, the lighting seems to be almost horizontal and very sharp. This complements well the rather dynamic pose, but some of the shadow areas need to be darker to make the lighting more consistent.
Last edited by Sgt. Groovy on August 2nd, 2006, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Also, light reflecting from the hair should be seen on the dark side of the sword blade. The sword could also be a bit smoother, now there is some jagginess to it.

The cast shadows seem to be missing, The arm should cast some on the body, and the sword on the shoulder.
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Post by Jormungandr »

Thanks for your various comments.

I've increased the contrast, and generally fiddled the shadows into something I think looks better.

And just as I was about to upload those changes, I saw Sgt. Groovy's very correct point about the cast shadows. Uh, oops. These have been added, which hopefully makes the pose a little clearer. One difference: were he holding the blade straight up, you'd be correct about it casting a shadow onto the shoulder. However, he's meant to be angling it slightly towards the viewer, which would move the shadow down to his arm.

The sword itself has also undergone straightening.
Attachments
elf-fighter4large.png
elf-fighter4large.png (34.78 KiB) Viewed 7984 times
elf-fighter4small.png
elf-fighter4small.png (29.18 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

The shading of the cheekbones are a bit overemphasized* in my opinion. The trailing ends of the headband could also use some work, and the hair still looks a bit odd; but other than that, I like where you're going with this. The improved sword is very nice.

* Elves often have angular features, but this one looks like he's starving to death...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm digging that armor and sword, very nice. But, the skintone and shading of the face is just too unnatural.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
tatmf
Art Contributor

A few things

Post by tatmf »

Hello.

I see a few things to work on to get it right:
- the left eye (on the right) looks too bright and embossed, you may just correct the outter corner
- I think you could give a more natural movement to the hair and clothes
- the Lutes-style has more visible linework
- well that's all :p

Keep the good work.
TATMF --- with an A as in Art
JW

Post by JW »

Nice work!

I very much like the style, but there are 2 places I think you could improve:

1) the shading on the cheek (already mentioned)

2) althought the Elvish Fighter is agile, I think he would have some strength as well, and thus I imagine with a larger bicep than you have drawn. I am speaking specifically about the unit's left arm. The right arm is hard to see, so the imagination can be used somewhat.

-those are just minor things in a really well done portrait
Jormungandr
Art Contributor

Re: A few things

Post by Jormungandr »

tatmf wrote: - the Lutes-style has more visible linework
This is so, but I'm not trying to imitate Jason Lutes' style. Normally my own stuff does as well, actually, but I'm experimenting with a lack of visible outlines for this one.

And now, the newer, less-starved version:
Attachments
elf-fighter5large.png
elf-fighter5large.png (34 KiB) Viewed 7677 times
elf-fighter5small.png
elf-fighter5small.png (29.12 KiB) Viewed 7690 times