Troll Revamp (serious attempt)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

On cave floor:
Attachments
trolls3.png
trolls3.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I am in favor of frame's grey trolls, they are a definite improvement on the green.

I do however have a couple of remaining nitpicks:
  • - The level3 is still shackled.
    - The thong on the level3 still looks painfully tight. (Is he trying to castrate himself?:o)
And one minor point: I think I realise why the level2 (and the whelp before it's head realignment) looks depressed while the level3 looks menacing. It's the eyes!
The level2 appears to have it's eyes closed as well as hanging it's head. The level3 has eyes, and so it is easier to imagine he is looking down on his opponent. Would you consider adding eyes to the whelp and level2?

Would people mind if I "put my pixels where my mouth is" and post a hack to illustrate my points?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Zhukov, please do...

that's how art evolves in wesnoth...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Here's my fully animated sheet for the Troll whelp;

Devs feel free to modify it as you see fit (colour wise, and whatnot) before adding it, it's your decision if you want to alter it;

Also, I might redo the death ani, after seeing the current one in game; because it turning into a skeleton is great.
Attachments
trollz.png
trollz.png (13.04 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Neoriceisgood wrote: Also, I might redo the death ani, after seeing the current one in game; because it turning into a skeleton is great.
:D
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Here are trolls in a new color scheme, which I think nukes the "issues" of the old one, and yet still looks very appropriate on a troll.

As for my own criticism, I needed to up the size of the whelp, but I think I overdid it by a few pixels, especially in how broad his shoulders are; I'll correct that. The troll warrior is ridiculously huge, but that's intentional - he's supposed to tower over other units. The first level of HttT will be much more intuitive, now.

The chains on the troll warrior have also been changed to spiked ankle bracelets - they really couldn't be removed entirely without breaking the composition.

These have a real chance of getting in 1.2, given how few frames the race has.
Attachments
trollDemo.png
trollDemo.png (85.27 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Jetryl wrote:The troll warrior is ridiculously huge
Curse you for making me read through that comic yet again.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

These colors might cause problem with the stoned state : it would be hard to recognize a stoned troll from a non stoned troll.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Yeah, and the fact that their eyes are red by default isn;t helping.

:o

But wooh! My trolls are getting into the game :D
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Noyga wrote:These colors might cause problem with the stoned state : it would be hard to recognize a stoned troll from a non stoned troll.
Yeah, except that stoning isn't used pretty much anywhere and you could still spot the stoned units pretty easily. It's not a real problem when talking about whether these are good enough now, it's just a possible minor inconvenience. Let's not care about that right now, in order to actually get these guys in for a change.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The only problem I see with getting them into 1.2 is the string freeze. (The L3 description mentions something about armor.) Still, I think everyone would rather have the new troll art regardless of a minor string issue.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

Yes, please yes. Just change it so that teh Whelp's arms aren't longer than the Troll's arms and everything will be spot on. That new Warrior is freaking fantastic!!

ps, guys.....I love new art....and this new batch of things (Woses, Trolls, Swamps) is awesome. 8)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:( Now my lego version of a troll is no longer accurate. (He was green - I'll have to switch him to dark grey.)

But still - commit these guys, now!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:But still - commit these guys, now!
Sir, yes sir! :P

I've done some slight updates (equalized the arm length on the troll/whelp), and have committed both the main frames for everyone, and animations for the whelp (ported from neo's animation sheet).

The other units will be relatively easy to make, since they have less frames; OtOH, they'll also be difficult because most of these frames are going to be mostly from scratch. I might be able to do them all in one night; who knows.

I'd like to defer the whelp death animation to someone else. It should be really easy (just a patchy-fade from troll whelp to troll skeleton, and then the skeleton crumbles - the troll skeleton can be made by editing the existing troll skeleton to fit the shape of the new whelp); I'd just rather spend time doing something the rest of the gang can't do (warrior/L2troll animations).

Any takers, please PM me.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Jetryl wrote:I'd just rather spend time doing something the rest of the gang can't do (warrior/L2troll animations).
Hey, hey, hey. Isn't there some arrogance in your voice now! You're really good, but you're not that good.