Troll Revamp (serious attempt)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

frame wrote:I think these look great, although I have the same minor objections as many other here:

- A bit to saturated
- Thongs look out of place
- Whats with the shackles?
- The head on the whelp is to big

Even though I'm no good at doing units I tried a quick edit to illustrate the direction I would like to see them go.

Why did you "fix" the old ones? I posted an updated version on them,

And why is everyone going "omg speedo", I'm not the one who picked the t colour; Now I remember why I don't like contributing serious art to wesnoth, bunch of nitpickers.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

Neoriceisgood wrote:And why is everyone going "omg speedo", I'm not the one who picked the t colour
No one is complaining about the color. We don't need or want to see "troll package."
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It's not visible, what is everyone complaining about?
scott

Post by scott »

Neoriceisgood wrote:It's not visible, what is everyone complaining about?
The new trolls are fine. You know, just don't get any funny ideas.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yeah, we like to nitpick! I think most everyone agrees it is good as it is, but a few possible changes/variations here and there.

I understand if you don't want to make any changes to what you consider a finished work. Then again, if you do, even better.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it might be nice to have the troll whelp look up...

I like the way the head goes down on the others as if they were towering their oponents, but having the whelp look into his oponent's eye (upward) would be better
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I find these images good quality, but I really don't want to give up the cyan color of our current trolls...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I find these images good quality, but I really don't want to give up the cyan color of our current trolls...
Same reaction.
I like the current trolls very much. The new ones are good, though IMHO they're a little dark, but why would you change something when what there already is is good enough? (perfection is when you can't take anything off, isn't it?) Do all the units have to be Tcoloured?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Tux2B wrote:...but why would you change something when what there already is is good enough?
We need new trolls because of so-called "creeping biggerism". Some of the new human units are really big. So the trolls have to be enlarged (a silly situation if you ask me).

However I also like the old ones, like Tux2B. Couldn't we just draw bigger versions of them?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Zhukov wrote:
Tux2B wrote:...but why would you change something when what there already is is good enough?
We need new trolls because of so-called "creeping biggerism". Some of the new human units are really big. So the trolls have to be enlarged (a silly situation if you ask me).

However I also like the old ones, like Tux2B. Couldn't we just draw bigger versions of them?
The primary reason for doing new Troll graphics, is the old ones (for L2 & L3) are extremly similar to some non GPL game. Secondary reasons are TColoring and to make them larger-- larger not only than the new-bigger humans, but than the orcs, who (contrary to their concept) also get as big as trolls.

Learn to accept change (or save the old graphics on your HD) all the art devs and many other devs condsider (with a few quibbles) Neo's new trolls to be better. And incase it's not clear, that does not include the dancing or female Trolls. Sorry Neo, but i realize you don't actually expect most of your crazy submissions to get in the game.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

We could put all old graphics in a deprecated graphics library. They are often very useful for user campaigns. The old troll graphics are game quality and animated, so someone would probably want to use them some time. There was a flurry of mage proposals that are great for minor variations of whichever character you want.

If the heads differed slightly from troll to troll and they weren't all looking down they'd be perfect.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It makes me sad that some people like the old trolls better :(

Is there absolutely no way to get 100% of this community to support you?

Seriously.
scott

Post by scott »

Neoriceisgood wrote:It makes me sad that some people like the old trolls better :(

Is there absolutely no way to get 100% of this community to support you?

Seriously.
Dude, don't worry about it. It is not possible to get 100% support for anything. People are too diverse and have the full spectrum of personal taste. What can cover a whole spectrum of anything?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think I am going to use the old graphics, even with the new versions.
First of all, because I prefer the old ones (most of the time, at least), then because of how units are getting IMO too big (Jetryl, neorice, no offense here).
I don't dislike change, Eleazar. For an example, I like the new logo very much, and I've been very happy with how Wesnoth has been improved during the year I've been playing it.
As I've saved the old versions, I'll just keep using them (at least some of them).

Concerning Scott's idea, it is a great one.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Ok, I bow to the inevitable. I'm not going to kick up a fuss if there is overwhelming support for Neorice's graphics.

EDIT:
Eleazar wrote:The primary reason for doing new Troll graphics, is the old ones (for L2 & L3) are extremly similar to some non GPL game.
I didn't know about this. It's certainly a solid reason for change.