Wesnoth Wiki scope

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sub2pewds

Wesnoth Wiki scope

Post by sub2pewds »

I'm curious to know what the intended scope of the Wesnoth wiki is expected to be. Most game wikis (generally hosted on Wikia) have a large amount of lore and dedicate pages to all characters/scenarios/locations (for instance, wowwiki.fandom.com). The Wesnoth wiki seems primarily focused on advice on gameplay/troubleshooting/creation. Strangely, it seems that there has been an informal Wesnoth website (wesnoth.fandom.com) to cover lore for the past decade, but it is extremely incomplete.

Does the Wesnoth community ever intend to officially support detailed lore anywhere? (Of course, if it has no intentions to do so, I'm curious to know why.) If it does intend to expand lore content on its official website, who should people talk to if they wish to help? :)
gnombat

Re: Wesnoth Wiki scope

Post by gnombat »

sub2pewds wrote: March 18th, 2019, 10:13 pm I'm curious to know what the intended scope of the Wesnoth wiki is expected to be. Most game wikis (generally hosted on Wikia) have a large amount of lore and dedicate pages to all characters/scenarios/locations (for instance, wowwiki.fandom.com). The Wesnoth wiki seems primarily focused on advice on gameplay/troubleshooting/creation. Strangely, it seems that there has been an informal Wesnoth website (wesnoth.fandom.com) to cover lore for the past decade, but it is extremely incomplete.

Does the Wesnoth community ever intend to officially support detailed lore anywhere? (Of course, if it has no intentions to do so, I'm curious to know why.) If it does intend to expand lore content on its official website, who should people talk to if they wish to help? :)
There are a few pages for the subjects you mentioned:

Characters
Scenarios/campaigns
Locations

Obviously those are incomplete and they look like they've bit-rotted over the years (e.g., the images are broken) so I'm sure improvements to those would be welcome.

The current instructions for registering a wiki account are here.
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

gnombat wrote: March 19th, 2019, 12:21 pm There are a few pages for the subjects you mentioned:

Characters
Scenarios/campaigns
Locations

Obviously those are incomplete and they look like they've bit-rotted over the years (e.g., the images are broken) so I'm sure improvements to those would be welcome.

The current instructions for registering a wiki account are here.
Thanks for the response. I was vaguely aware of these pages, but you're quite right: they are lacking maintenance. I haven't found any forums/wiki discussion pages which say this explicitly, but I'm guessing that the community would prefer for these to be brought up to scratch before perhaps splitting such pages appropriately:

e.g.

WesnothFigures → Characters of Heir to the Throne → Delfador

So I suppose you advise just working on bringing those pages up to an acceptable quality for the time being, and once that's achieved, only then do we divide pages?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

sub2pewds wrote: March 19th, 2019, 8:07 pm Thanks for the response. I was vaguely aware of these pages, but you're quite right: they are lacking maintenance. I haven't found any forums/wiki discussion pages which say this explicitly, but I'm guessing that the community would prefer for these to be brought up to scratch before perhaps splitting such pages appropriately:

e.g.

WesnothFigures → Characters of Heir to the Throne → Delfador

So I suppose you advise just working on bringing those pages up to an acceptable quality for the time being, and once that's achieved, only then do we divide pages?
Fixing those would probably be the best place to start. As far as the pages go - I don't think there's any specific reason that it's all on one page now other than the fact that there isn't much content at present (many of the characters just have "[insert details here]" or blank space for some entries). If more content were to be added, it would probably make sense to split it up into individual pages for each character.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

To answer this:
sub2pewds wrote: March 18th, 2019, 10:13 pm Does the Wesnoth community ever intend to officially support detailed lore anywhere? (Of course, if it has no intentions to do so, I'm curious to know why.) If it does intend to expand lore content on its official website, who should people talk to if they wish to help? :)
it's not really that there's any official intention to not provide detailed lore on the wiki, rather, it's just not something anyone's done and maintained.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

There's a lot of lore in-game, in the race descriptions, unit type descriptions, and geography section of the in-game help. I'd even consider adding more lore in-game, for example, when you start wesnoth for the first time you could have a page about Li'sar saying she's Queen Asheviere's daughter, and as you progress through HttT you'll get more and more sections of that page unlocked, with story info you've learned from the scenarios you've completed so far.
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

Okay. It's quite strange, given how much UMC there is, that the wiki has been left to rot. But I'm glad to hear that there is no barrier to improving it. I don't know when I'll find time, but I'll take a look. First thing I'll do is probably restore those images, if possible.
josteph wrote: March 20th, 2019, 2:43 pm There's a lot of lore in-game, in the race descriptions, unit type descriptions, and geography section of the in-game help. I'd even consider adding more lore in-game, for example, when you start wesnoth for the first time you could have a page about Li'sar saying she's Queen Asheviere's daughter, and as you progress through HttT you'll get more and more sections of that page unlocked, with story info you've learned from the scenarios you've completed so far.
Now that I consider it, this idea would be really neat, also because it would be dynamic. In-game decisions would influence what details are updated in the local lore. It would admittedly involve a lot of coding, but I suspect it wouldn't be intrusive or break all other aspects of the game... I am a big fan of that idea.
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

I've decided to experiment a little with creating a character page, and designing a couple of templates that it would require, including a new infobox specifically for characters and a plot branch template (for lore that is contingent upon in-game decisions). You can see it here:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Haldric_I
It is still work-in-progress, but I'll be able to keep chipping away at it over the next week. I appreciate all feedback (and of course, if you think it is bad/should be deleted, I won't take offence). :)
Derje Boven

Post by Derje Boven »

Nice !
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I think it looks great :)

Maybe increase the font size a bit?
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

GunChleoc wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 12:50 pm Maybe increase the font size a bit?
I've enlarged the font size and finished off the bulk of the article. There may be more tweaking to do, but all in due course. I'll probably do Jessene next.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

sub2pewds wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:57 am I've enlarged the font size
Could you not do that? Styles are supposed to be applied to specific elements as needed, not to the entirety of a page.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

shadowm wrote: March 25th, 2019, 9:23 am Could you not do that? Styles are supposed to be applied to specific elements as needed, not to the entirety of a page.
No worries. I've returned the size back to normal.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I'd ask whether we should increase the font size across the wiki, but I checked and the font size of the wiki front page at default zoom seems reasonable and is even larger than the font size of the forums at default zoom, so I guess the current setup of the wiki is fine.
sub2pewds

Post by sub2pewds »

I seem to have run into a problem. I'm keen to use references, so that articles like Haldric I's are only written to reflect actual in-game canon. However, MediaWiki only offers references as an extension: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite
Unfortunately, wiki.wesnoth.org doesn't use this extension at the moment. Would this be hard to introduce? ^_^