Minor introductory nitpicks concerning website

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sudipta

Minor introductory nitpicks concerning website

Post by Sudipta »

With the new stable release almost on our doorstep, and the steam release,and the potential influx of new players it's an exciting time for the community. I was taking a look at some parts of the BfW website that newbies will likely check out and noticed a few inconsistencies that probably should be looked at. Now i'm not saying these are wrong, instead just pointing it out

In the home page, and the description page, under the feature menu :
- it says there are 16 campaigns but now there are 17 campaigns including SotA. Also says 46 multiplayer maps, but I counted 55 in my BfW 1.13.13.
- over 200 unit types in six major factions, but now with the khalifate there are 7, plus that’s whats on the new trailer.

Getting Started page
-Under the description of the campaign button there’s a line “You may not change the difficulty during the campaign.” But now it is possible to do so.
-Also it says a good campaign to start with is Heir to the throne.. but this has been discussed many times that AtoTB is the best place to start, plus the campaign list has been arranged now to suggest new players to play in the given order.

Also,might be helpful if we had a short list of popular add-ons somewhere on the website as a recommendation for new players looking for UMC content like custom campaigns, factions, eras etc but the numerous discussions about this have gone nowhere in particular. :lol: Its always a heated discussion, which ends abruptly and then the issue is forgotten until someone brings it up again. (like me :whistle: )
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Minor introductory nitpicks concerning website

Post by octalot »

The GettingStarted page is a wiki page, everyone can change it.

This seems to be a good thread to mention Guide_to_UMC_Content, and ask for opinions about what to do with it. It's currently the 1.12 version, with a additional archived Guide_to_UMC_Content/1.10. I think copying it again would just cause lots of duplication, and in any case it might be nicer to try moving the useful features (like searching for undead campaigns) in to something auto-generated from the add-ons server itself.

Edit: my plan for the Guide to UMC Content is have 1.12 and 1.14 on the same page, and use it as one of the (several) places where people wanting to take over abandoned campaigns can register that they're working on them.
This list covers add-ons for the latest (1.14) and previous (1.12) releases of Wesnoth. As a player, you can see which servers they're available on in this page by looking at the "Status 1.12" and "Status 1.14", or just by looking at the list of available add-ons in the game.
For content creators who loved an add-on that hasn't been added to 1.14 yet, and are wondering about taking it over, please ensure that its entry on this wiki page is up to date, add a link to the add-on's feedback thread in the forums, and generally do the tidy-up that doesn't need you to start changing the campaign, and then ask the old maintainer. (You should probably also wait until the end of May 2018 before assuming that a maintainer isn't there).
If that sounds reasonable, I'll change the "Status" fields to "Status 1.12" and "Status 1.14", and update the list with the ones that are already on the 1.14 server.

Erm, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :oops:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sudipta wrote: April 30th, 2018, 2:50 pm In the home page, and the description page, under the feature menu :
- it says there are 16 campaigns but now there are 17 campaigns including SotA. Also says 46 multiplayer maps, but I counted 55 in my BfW 1.13.13.
:P

Code: Select all

<!--1.12--><li>16 singleplayer campaigns and 46 multiplayer maps to choose from.</li>
<!--1.14   <li>17 singleplayer campaigns and 55 multiplayer maps to choose from.</li>-->
Sudipta wrote: April 30th, 2018, 2:50 pm - over 200 unit types in six major factions, but now with the khalifate there are 7, plus that’s whats on the new trailer.
Except it seems that (rather predictable) despite months of conversations on the forums about the Dunefolk being relegated to a glorified add-on role hurting their visibility in the game, this still hasn’t been solved.

EDIT: Vultraz tells me to go with 7, so 7 it is.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

About the dunefolk, its not surprising that there's confusion abound since its fairly new. I wonder if dunefolks a popular faction in multiplayer? I felt that they are slightly harder to play with in SP
octalot wrote: April 30th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Edit: my plan for the Guide to UMC Content is have 1.12 and 1.14 on the same page, and use it as one of the (several) places where people wanting to take over abandoned campaigns can register that they're working on them.
This list covers add-ons for the latest (1.14) and previous (1.12) releases of Wesnoth. As a player, you can see which servers they're available on in this page by looking at the "Status 1.12" and "Status 1.14", or just by looking at the list of available add-ons in the game.
For content creators who loved an add-on that hasn't been added to 1.14 yet, and are wondering about taking it over, please ensure that its entry on this wiki page is up to date, add a link to the add-on's feedback thread in the forums, and generally do the tidy-up that doesn't need you to start changing the campaign, and then ask the old maintainer. (You should probably also wait until the end of May 2018 before assuming that a maintainer isn't there).
If that sounds reasonable, I'll change the "Status" fields to "Status 1.12" and "Status 1.14", and update the list with the ones that are already on the 1.14 server.

Erm, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :oops:
Sounds reasonable to me. Someone would have to cross check each add-on and edit its status in the wiki page. Currently there are a very few add-ons available on the 1.14 server. Maybe even add in a note and a download link pointing people interested in seeing more UMC content to try out BfW 1.12.6 in case they are not patient enough to wait for them to be ported to the new version.
BTW, i just had a thought. Is it really necessary to make everything so easy for newcomers? Why not just let them find things the hard way like we did :lol: If they love the game enough then they will go to the trouble of digging through the website, forums and servers to find the good stuff.

Don't worry about thread hijackings. Discussion is key... to victory :whistle:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
taptap

Post by taptap »

Guide to UMC ... keeping stats for multiple BfW versions on the same page looks like maintenance cancer to me and defeats the main purpose of easy information on current campaigns (and aggregating an archive for old versions just by keeping the current page up to date) instead of another unwieldy museum page absolutely no one would feel an urge to update. It is much neater to move everything to a subpage and clean out the main page. The archive for 1.12 is one click away, yet the main page isn't filled with old stuff- When a campaign is ported, it isn't much more than copy-paste the old entry + new version number + changes. I answered in the thread as well, but whatever.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.