Someone dare to beat me with an undead

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

King Arthur

Someone dare to beat me with an undead

Post by King Arthur »

I've been playing wesnoth for quite some time and I consider myself a good player. So, giving my player opinion I want to say that the undeads are very underpowered, I never lost a game against an undead. That is, a normal game, not a heroe's age or with very low % of experience. I really think that undead should be made stronger, but some people say that undead are good, you only have to use them well. I dare then, any of those good undead players, who I have never seen, play a two players game against me on several different maps, for me to see if that's truth or not.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
Tippsey

Post by Tippsey »

Hmm I commend your challenge, and I shall continue gathering data from the undead standpoint trying to win with them. If you can remeber to save all replays as it would be very useful data.
May the drakes bloody kill you all.
Ardonik

Post by Ardonik »

The undead have changed a lot in the last few weeks; the skeleton archer is now as dangerous at night as its human counterpart is at day, and it is still more resistant to ordinary damage. How can you be so sure of yourself?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Someone dare to beat me with an undead

Post by Doc Paterson »

King Arthur wrote:I've been playing wesnoth for quite some time and I consider myself a good player. So, giving my player opinion I want to say that the undeads are very underpowered, I never lost a game against an undead. That is, a normal game, not a heroe's age or with very low % of experience. I really think that undead should be made stronger, but some people say that undead are good, you only have to use them well. I dare then, any of those good undead players, who I have never seen, play a two players game against me on several different maps, for me to see if that's truth or not.
I really like the spirit of this post, but you need to understand something. Good Undead players are rare simply because the faction is quite complex and is very difficult to master from all angles. Question for you. Roughly how many online 1v1 games have you played against Undead? If your record is anything less than 20-0, I'd not be so hasty to judge, because 1 in 20 is my best estimate on the ratio of good Undead players to trashy ones. 8)

Tell us when you'll be online; I'm sure you'll get plenty of games in that way.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
telly

Post by telly »

What faction do you use? The factions seem better balanced than before but undead still look ok to me, not that I've played much at all since 0.8. A lot depends on the map though.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Come on now, Arthur- tell us when you'll be on the server. Putting out an open challenge then disappearing is just no fun at all. :twisted:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

Hahaha, I wouldn't dare to do that, I'll be here til 22 of july, tomorrow is sunday and I'll join in the afternoom, see you there, or later on a more specific time if we do not meet tomorrow.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
Disto

Post by Disto »

Cmon, where's EP hanging about, someone bring him over here.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

Disto wrote:Cmon, where's EP hanging about, someone bring him over here.
Didn't you know? He shot himself after trying to not lose any unit on hard mode. I think it was the final map of TRoW.
King Arthur
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think he succeeded.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

No, it's impossible.
King Arthur
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

That was on Easy, and it wasn't even a complete success. I haven't gotten past Siege of Elensefar on Hard, although I'll try again sometime. For now, though, I've been playing MP only (at least when I'm not busy with other stuff.) It's early in the morning so I won't be playing for several hours after this post at least, in case anyone was wondering.

EDIT: But that doesn't mean that I don't play single-player in the morning. Only multiplayer gives me a headache when I play too early. I just beat a 200-gold Rebel AI with Undead, and it was _trivial_. (of course, Rebels are the worst faction against Undead...)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
yeeha

Re: Someone dare to beat me with an undead

Post by yeeha »

Doc Paterson wrote:
King Arthur wrote:I've been playing wesnoth for quite some time and I consider myself a good player. So, giving my player opinion I want to say that the undeads are very underpowered, I never lost a game against an undead. That is, a normal game, not a heroe's age or with very low % of experience. I really think that undead should be made stronger, but some people say that undead are good, you only have to use them well. I dare then, any of those good undead players, who I have never seen, play a two players game against me on several different maps, for me to see if that's truth or not.
I really like the spirit of this post, but you need to understand something. Good Undead players are rare simply because the faction is quite complex and is very difficult to master from all angles. Question for you. Roughly how many online 1v1 games have you played against Undead? If your record is anything less than 20-0, I'd not be so hasty to judge, because 1 in 20 is my best estimate on the ratio of good Undead players to trashy ones. 8)

Tell us when you'll be online; I'm sure you'll get plenty of games in that way.
I think problem is quite simple, its only faction who has all units two common dmg type resistances very low (fire,impact) and one rare dmg type extremely low(holy). So undead good player simply has to be super tactician to overcame opponent because opponent doesnt have to use complex tactics, only units with fire, impact & holy.There is no way around that tactical problem so this faction cant be mastered at all angles.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Touché :cry: ?
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004