1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

ihsan wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:The number of LOSERS!!!--- I mean people who post replays of them losing, increases by one. This was a fun game.
well, this is not playable :)
It looks like multiplayer replays are now suffering from the same affliction as campaign replays. No one will ever be able to see it unless they extract the map from the replay (which I don't recall if it's possible now) or get the now out-of-date version that game was played on from me. Replays *should* contain all the information about a game.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

ihsan wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:The number of LOSERS!!!--- I mean people who post replays of them losing, increases by one. This was a fun game.
well, this is not playable :)
I can't speak for EP's copies, but these ones play just fine on 9.3:

EP vs. Pikel

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... _vs._Pikel

EP vs. Turin

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... _vs._Turin

I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

So, people talk about how great Drakes are on Charge....and I tend to agree. They are indeed GREAT on Charge. (Not as good as Northerners in my opinion, but still exceptionally powerful). With this in mind, I set out to create a winter-ized version of Charge, heaping some snow and ice onto the map. :)

Let me paint you a picture. It's called "The Underdog." Drakes on Snowy Charge. As player 2. Against their arch-enemies the piercing Loyalists. Against the man (Pietro) who claims to have NEVER LOST against Drakes, when using Loyalists. Said fellow having EV advantage. (Excuse my dramatics; I think it's fun to hype up matches.) 8)

Ladies and gentlemen.....

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... c_Paterson
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"King Arthur vs. D."

King Arthur: "I dare anyone to beat me with Undead."

In this game, he starts first, has about a 100 EV advantage, and still gets taken to school. There's a slight oddity in the replay in that the Undead player is shown to have around 7-8 villages for most of the game, when in fact, their villages were more in the range of 14-16. (You'd be able to tell, regardless, by the number of units they recruit.)

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... sus_Undead
without your noses.
Saurian Bibleist

Post by Saurian Bibleist »

Doc Paterson wrote:"King Arthur vs. D."

King Arthur: "I dare anyone to beat me with Undead."

In this game, he starts first, has about a 100 EV advantage, and still gets taken to school. There's a slight oddity in the replay in that the Undead player is shown to have around 7-8 villages for most of the game, when in fact, their villages were more in the range of 14-16. (You'd be able to tell, regardless, by the number of units they recruit.)

Funny game. I knew it'd be an easy win for me after seeing how many Fencers he recruited.
Take that plank out of your eye.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Watch this replay if you like tactics and rhymed couplets.
Attachments
2p_-_Icy_Waters_replay_-_NICE..zip
Very nice map. Balanced and tactically interesting.
(22.3 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Typhus

Post by Typhus »

those are some good games, specially the one above ^^^^^^^
Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
He knocks you to your feet and so what are you gonna do?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Watch this replay if you like tactics and rhymed couplets.
It won't run.
Perhaps you could write a description of the match, in villanelle form? 19 lines?

2 things:

It may interest you to know that Icy Waters will not be in 9.4; the locations of the "out at sea" villages favor player 1 too heavily. The only alternative would be to rearrange the problem villages, and seeing as I'm not the author (and don't know who the author is), I don't want to just step in and modify it.

Also, you should post one of those terrible games you had with Swordfodder. :P
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Watch this replay if you like tactics and rhymed couplets.
It won't run.
Also, you should post one of those terrible games you had with Swordfodder. :P
It suddenly worked. Odd.

Good match! :D

When I said "terrible game," I was thinking of that Drake v. Elf Charge match that I caught a piece of. Not quite the epic that this one was. :?
without your noses.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Doc Paterson wrote: It may interest you to know that Icy Waters will not be in 9.4; the locations of the "out at sea" villages favor player 1 too heavily. The only alternative would be to rearrange the problem villages, and seeing as I'm not the author (and don't know who the author is), I don't want to just step in and modify it.
FYI I'm the author.

You're welcome to modify it, but you're welcome to remove it too.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Dave wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: It may interest you to know that Icy Waters will not be in 9.4; the locations of the "out at sea" villages favor player 1 too heavily. The only alternative would be to rearrange the problem villages, and seeing as I'm not the author (and don't know who the author is), I don't want to just step in and modify it.
FYI I'm the author.

You're welcome to modify it, but you're welcome to remove it too.

David
:!:

:)

Thanks; that's very good to know. You see what I mean though about the spacing problem? Now that I know that modification is a real option, I'll see what I can do with it. Nothing too radical, of course.
:D
without your noses.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Doc Paterson wrote: Thanks; that's very good to know. You see what I mean though about the spacing problem? Now that I know that modification is a real option, I'll see what I can do with it. Nothing too radical, of course.
:D
Sure....I added the map at a time when we had a very poor selection of maps in the game. I can see how it could use improvement, and these days there are so many nice maps I don't have any strong attachment to retaining it. Don't keep it just because I'm the original author. It's not like I don't have enough content in the game already. ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MCP

Post by MCP »

Compact 1v1: Murph vs Me

X shok's Compact

Just wanting to see people's opinions of our play...I am interested in what I could have built particularly.
Attachments
User_Map_replay.tar
Un-tar this succa first.
(30 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Last edited by MCP on August 5th, 2005, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCP

Post by MCP »

I guess this thread doesn't get posted in often. *bump*

Don't you people know, a very good way to improve skill is to critically watch yourself play, or have others do the same.

Works for fighting games, why not for wesnoth?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

MCP wrote:
Works for fighting games, why not for wesnoth?
You play fighting games? :D :D :D

Which ones?
without your noses.