1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: isle hopping team game

Post by Doc Paterson »

ereksos wrote:notice the 1st P can reach the center first. thus controlling the most strategic location.
Yes, I know, and had actually decided to finally fix that map (even though I'm not the author). Unfortunately, ott seems to have never received the fixes I sent him, and my original copy was (stupidly) overwritten when I installed 1.0. :oops: (Granted, I didn't think it would matter at the time, as I figured the fixes were already a part of 1.0). Thanks for reminding me about this one; I'll likely try to balance it today.

The big problem that I face is balancing it for all factions (and against player 1) while still maintaining the map-author's concept and original layout.

As far as I can see, the only fix that would truly balance the map would be adding a combination of cave terrain and shallow water around the area of P1's castle....The cave would slow everything but Saurians, and the water would slow the Saurians. The obvious problem with this plan is that it would clash visually with the look of the map as it is now.....But hopefully I'll be able to find an appropriate balance.

By the way....Post some of those matches with Dragonking! I'm sure a lot of us would love to see them.

:D
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Wild Penguin (P1, Drakes) vs. Nosmos (P2, Northerners) on Blitz.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... vs._Nosmos

Tomsik (P1, Loyalists) vs. Lovina (P2, Drakes) on Charge.
Watching this match will improve your day. Some real precious moments.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... vs._Lovina

Ereksos (P1, Undead) vs. Wild Penguin (Knalgans)
There is a special note from ereksos on this match; "Don't misclick, or it will cost you turns." Good advice. :D
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

And the players played on. :D

Blackevil (P1, Knalgans) vs. Justinllf (P2, Loyalists) on Den of Onis.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... _Justinllf

Wild Penguin (P1, Knalgans) vs. Sbib {Saurian Bibleist} (P2, Knalgans) on Charge.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... ld_Penguin

Caesar (P1, Northerners) vs. Paterson (P2, Northerners) on Charge.
Northerner vs. Northerner on Charge can be a really tedious drag, but this match is pretty watchable and interesting.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/caesar_vs._dp

Adrock (P1, Elves) vs. Paterson (P2, Elves) on Divide and Conquer
A Beastie Boys fan playing elves? :P
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... ._Paterson

Defeat Me (P1, Drakes) vs. FlakTarget (P2, Loyalists) on Charge.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... FlakTarget

Mythological (P1, Loyalists) vs. Paterson (P2, Northerners) on Sablestone Delta.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... thological

Palloco (P1, Knalgans) vs. Maxy (P2, Northerners) on Charge.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/palloco_vs._maxy
without your noses.
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

Here's me versus uh...me. Trying to find a way to beat those damn Knalgans with Undead.

Have to admit here: There WAS some saveloading involved, when I made some strategic blunders (who's gonna talk anyway...me?). It occurred on both sides...one occasion each IIRC.

PS: Special thanks to Yogi Bear. This replay would not have worked without him.
Attachments
TestPatch.txt
(399.19 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I can't get that to work.....and the file is strangely large. :?

Here's me and Dragonking though, doing a similar test. This was some time ago; the concept was that I wouldn't use thugs, and we'd see how the matchup was that way.

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... ndead_test
without your noses.
Shadowdweller

Post by Shadowdweller »

Hmm. "Strangely large" sounds a bit scary.

However, I had some difficulties with the replay from the beginning. The fixed file didn't work for me at first, either. I reinstalled Wesnoth then downloaded the file again and NOW it works.

I think changing the filename creates problems, but I might be mistaken. In any event, he posted another version (Testpatch2) here trying to fix it:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 65&start=0

PS: I don't think I played the Knalgans to the best of my ability (took some time to figure out good ways to destroy the wraiths) but FWIW in my version, the Undead win.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Doc Paterson wrote:I can't get that to work.....and the file is strangely large. :?
The file is so large because it is saved in text format, not binary. The file extension shouldn't make any difference. What happens if you try to load the file?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Yogi Bear wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:I can't get that to work.....and the file is strangely large. :?
What happens if you try to load the file?
It says "not valid," or something to that effect.

Some cool matches that I recently aquired:

Soliton (P1, Elves) vs. Defeat Me (P2, Undead) on Charge.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... _defeat_me

Defeat Me (P1, Undead) vs. Soliton (P2, Drakes) on Charge.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/ ... defeat_me2

Place your bets on who wins these matches. 8)
For both of these, be sure to hit "show replay," so as to avoid having the end spoiled.
without your noses.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I bet Defeat Me won both!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I bet Defeat Me won both!
I'll take that bet.

By the way-

Submit some matches, ye bum!
without your noses.
baruk

Post by baruk »

I started playing a few games online recently, I'm usually called Bob or Bug Eyed Earl.

I'll try to provide some 1v1 replays, let me know if they work!

Edit: the replays seem to work, here are some more descriptions of each of the matches.

King of the Hill, Elves vs. Undead, 1000 gold

A 2-player game played on a 4-player map, with lots of gold. I use a village grabbing strategy using lots of ghosts and bats at the start, followed up by some more serious units. General builds a lot of high level units, most with ambush capability to take advantage of the large forest. The outcome is fairly predictable, I'd give it 2 stars out of 5. Watch if you want to see a small elite force try to cope with an unending stream of undead.

Den of Onis, Dwarves vs. Drakes

My first 2-player game I played online, and my first game facing drakes. It was a learning experience: another case of "don't put your leader in danger". Was the result down to poor play and bad luck, or was the matchup uneven if the first place? Probably a bit of both. 2 stars out of 5, a short game but informative.

Blitz, Elves vs. Elves

A typical Blitz game, featuring an all-out assault on three fronts. I think I used of fog of war quite well to disguise the main thrust. I was quite pleased with this game, 4 out of 5 stars for entertainment value.
Attachments
2p_-_Blitz_baruk_vs_cwebber.zip
Blitz, Elves vs. Elves
(10.76 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_baruk_vs_willoi.zip
Den of Onis, Dwarves vs. Drakes
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
2p_-_King_of_the_Hill_General_vs_baruk.zip
King of the Hill, Elves vs. Undead, 1000 gold
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Last edited by baruk on October 18th, 2005, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baruk

Post by baruk »

And a couple more.. (I also have some team and free for all replays, I'll save them for another thread)

Den of Onis, Elves vs. Orcs

Note the successful use of Woses. I noticed on the forum someone suggesting that they were useless. They did pretty well for me against the orcs in this game. I noticed he was using mainly trolls and assassins, so Woses were a good choice. I'd give this game 4 stars out of 5.

Charge, Loyalists vs. Drakes

I decided to try to learn how to use Drakes. Quite a bloody battle, multiple deaths on both sides. Low exp requirements, so a lot of advancements also. Entertaining and unpredictable, so 4.5 stars out of 5.
Attachments
2p_-_Charge_Sundancer_vs_baruk.zip
Charge, Loyalists vs. Drakes
(11.77 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_baruk_vs_Farna.zip
Den of Onis, Elves vs. Orcs
(9.81 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Last edited by baruk on October 18th, 2005, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager

Doc Paterson wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:I bet Defeat Me won both!
I'll take that bet.

Well, just because I've been beaten by Defeat Me - unfair situation, but still - so I figured his name should count for him. :P
Doc Paterson wrote:By the way-

Submit some matches, ye bum!
I don't play a lot of good 1vs1s nowadays. :(

What I SHOULD do is make & distribute an era using my costs for high-level units. Then I could use that era to test, and that might lead to some nice situations. Speaking of which, does anyone know who - among the host, other players, and replay watchers - currently needs to have the actual .cfgs for additional units added for the era?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote: I'll take that bet.

Well, just because I've been beaten by Defeat Me - unfair situation, but still - so I figured his name should count for him. :P
What was the unfair situation?

(The match was undoubtedly on Charge, so I can think of quite a few potential "unfair situations." :P )

I think you'd be amused by those matches though, because Soliton really takes Defeat Me to school.
without your noses.
Elvish_Pillager

Doc Paterson wrote:What was the unfair situation?
I've quite forgotten.

Although, a vague (and thus next to useless) recollection tells me that it was a game hosted by me, where I played the second player, on Tactics Island, in which I faced about a 3:1 disadvantage due to luck.

(side note: I believe Tactics Island to be almost top-notch in terms of balance, while all derivative maps are inferior. The derivatives do not have the time-of-day balance Tactics Island has, and they usually use village positioning different from that of Tactics Island, which wastes all the careful terrain balance.)