1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Two replays of llukiz (Drakes) vs. vrooom (Undead) showing very good first player advantage (ab)use. One of them is quite short. :wink:
Attachments
2p_-_Blitz_-_llukiz_vs_vrooom_-_Turn_18.gz
(21.01 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
2p_-_Blitz_-_llukiz_vs_vrooom.replay.gz
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Imp

Post by Imp »

Wow, Soliton. Those replays are...wow. :shock:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Soliton wrote:Two replays of llukiz (Drakes) vs. vrooom (Undead) showing very good first player advantage (ab)use. One of them is quite short. :wink:
I must say, I'm glad that llukiz ended up loosing both of those games (he did lose the first one, right? The replay ended when vrooom had a statistical kill on llukiz's leader.)- whenever I see someone trying that style of play, it just drives me crazy, and I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's that it seems so rigid/robot-like in its reckless and neverending pursuit of enemy villages? I just find myself thinking "I wish I was the one facing this; I'd show him how silly that is, blah blah..." :P

Really interesting matches, nevertheless. I've been considering changing the spacing of P2's rightmost village for some time now- I don't think that the theft of one of those villages is particularly viable if player two has normal luck and uses their leader/unit spread efficiently (usually leading to an overall loss for P1), but, a little early bad luck (as we saw in these games) can make for some seriously destabilizing scenarios. Is it possible for P2 to be unfairly pressured with the right factional combinations? Perhaps, and as I said, I'm going to investigate further. The undead would seem to be the most susceptible to any potential abuse, as bats are their only unit capable of reaching the outlying villages in one turn.

Anyways, I'll post up any revisions, if and when they do occur.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Soliton wrote:Two replays of llukiz (Drakes) vs. vrooom (Undead) showing very good first player advantage (ab)use. One of them is quite short. :wink:
I must say, I'm glad that llukiz ended up loosing both of those games (he did lose the first one, right? The replay ended when vrooom had a statistical kill on llukiz's leader.)
The replay ends exactly one move before the kill. Notice how one Glider was left unmoved. It's indeed a bit irritating that it changes sides at the end but no, llukiz won the first game.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Another Drakes(Zatz) vs. Undead(V) game, this time on Hamlets.

EDIT: Corrected the name, sorry.
Attachments
2p_-_Hamlets_-_Zatz_vs_V_-_Turn_36.gz
(26.97 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Last edited by Soliton on April 2nd, 2007, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zatz

Post by Zatz »

The name is Zatz :P

To whoever V is. Sorry for leaving so abruptly I was very annoyed with myself at having ruined a epic game by leaving the firedrake within range of 2 DA's. Rookie mistake

warm regards zatz
running away is the most underrated tactic
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Zatz wrote:The name is Zatz :P

To whoever V is. Sorry for leaving so abruptly I was very annoyed with myself at having ruined a epic game by leaving the firedrake within range of 2 DA's. Rookie mistake

warm regards zatz

wow im not sure how you screwed that up
5 lv2 units vs 0 lv 2 units =/

id have to say, spearheading ur army with a lv 2 drake in WATER was a very bad move especially when u knew he could hit it with 2 DA's and a ghost (as you pointed out)

your overall luck was bad that game (80 points or so down statisically i think) and not being able to kill even 1 adept at the final counter there.. ouch

ur leader shoulda been in his base recruiting more stuff, u had a ton of money

this match up is gonna be quite diff in 1.3 i think with the ghost changes
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Imp

Post by Imp »

It was a nice game. Everybody gets tired.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

hell of a drake vs orc battle imo.
never seen that many spearman before
Attachments
Blitz_DvN_GG!!.zip
Cackfiend vs Destruct
(9.4 KiB) Downloaded 595 times

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Zatz

Post by Zatz »

To cackfield regarding replay.

Putting firedrake at front was clearly a mistake. I thought it was in range of 1 DA and 2 ghosts which didnt think had a chance of killing.

Regards the 4 level 2's vs 0, they require quite an upkeep cost. 8 gold which could support 8 DA's with a combined attack power at night of 304 at 70% which is quite outstanding. Also I suspected V had been building an economic lead by pestering with WC's and not recruiting level 1's. Probably needed a glider for more precise information of enemy troop numbers.

I had the leader out of castles because I think my frontline needed a flare to boast level 1's. I got the firedrakes cause i really wanted to burn down WC's with 1 unit and at that time I was fighting a slightly desperate defence near keep.

The battle had turned quite peaceful with rapid advances matched by complete retreats. I didn't suspect there to be a full force engagement for a while so I decided to make a few gold by not recruiting and saving upkeep. With this strategy at next "1st watch" or "2nd watch" (depending how far enemy is from keep) can do a massive recruit designed to counter there current army and go on offensive at day with everything, This also can have quite a shock value cause they don't know your true strength and what units you will come with. Did it with the 2 burners to counter the newly appearing ghost force. (note: shouldn't use this strategy if always engaged.)

As it turned out i make a beginner mistake, lose my cool and ruin all the grand designs :D

I really appreciated your comments on game and id be open to any further opinions on play.

Many regards Zatz
running away is the most underrated tactic
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

This is a fun replay (1.2). Silverhead Crossing, me as Rebels vs Dragonking as Undead. The game ended on turn 5 due to a Bone Shooter meeting a Wose. :D

EDIT: Sorry for the filename, but I win so rarely that I got carried away when saving it!
Attachments
2p_-_Silverhead_Crossing_replay_zookeeper_pwns_Dragonking.zip
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

zookeeper wrote:This is a fun replay (1.2). Silverhead Crossing, me as Rebels vs Dragonking as Undead. The game ended on turn 5 due to a Bone Shooter meeting a Wose. :D

EDIT: Sorry for the filename, but I win so rarely that I got carried away when saving it!
Ha ha, yes, it was quite funny :D

Good lesson. :)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
linos

Undead against elves 46 turns. Great game

Post by linos »

Well guys some of you enjoyed it, for all the others a very good game

Is the first time i load a game and i really dont know if i done it well...

I added the last autosave.

If i hasent done well just let me know.
Attachments
2p_-_Den_of_Onis-Auto-Save46.zip
(34.42 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

pretty cool replay. very close game that came down to a few key battles at the very end. only a few mistakes made the whole game.

must suck to die with over 100 gold :)

note* this guy slaughtered me in our previous match drake vs drake on onis
Attachments
Charge_DrvDw_GG!!!!.zip
Cackfiend vs n
Drakes vs Dwarves
Charge
(8.73 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Absoloutly crazy Loyalist vs Reble match.
Stings of luck that didn't ruin the game.
Back and forth battleing for 37 turns.
And an assassination finish.

I was the loyalists.
Attachments
Crazy_LoyalistvsReble_game.zip
(17.56 KiB) Downloaded 510 times