The New 9.2 MP Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

The New 9.2 MP Maps

Post by Doc Paterson »

I'd like to use this thread to discuss the new MP maps that were packaged with the 9.2 release. These maps will change and develope as the game progresses, so I'd like players to post any suggestions that they may have. For ease of reference, I'll post screenshots of the new maps below.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Silverhead Crossing"
Attachments
oversilver.jpg
oversilver.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Den of Onis"
Attachments
overoni.jpg
overoni.jpg (115.6 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Sulla's Ruins"
Attachments
oversulla.jpg
oversulla.jpg (129.73 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Hamlets"
Attachments
overhamlets.jpg
overhamlets.jpg (145.69 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Hornshark Isle"
Attachments
overhornshark.jpg
overhornshark.jpg (115.18 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Meteor Lake"
Attachments
overmeteor.jpg
overmeteor.jpg (198.55 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"Lagoon" (by Turin)
Attachments
overlagoon.jpg
overlagoon.jpg (138.11 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

"The Wilderlands"
Attachments
overwilder.jpg
overwilder.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
without your noses.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Hamlets is a great map. I urge people to try it out.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

One point that is currently being discussed is whether or not the Elf advantage on "Meteor Lake" is too extreme. It may very well be; however, I'd like to highlight some of the subtleties that could indicate otherwise. I acknowledge the power given to elves by putting a lot of forest on the map. This power is, however, meant to be counterbalanced by other, less obvious disadvantages.
At first glance, one might think that the Elves will overrun the map; afterall, there is a lot of water and a lot of forest, terrains for which they have excellent units. Note though that the water is largely obstructed by forest and grassland, and that it will take roughly 4-5 turns for a merman to begin to make his way down the river that connects to the central lake. While this is happening, flying units can easily seize a large portion of the sea villages, and even though these villages may eventually be taken by the water units, the other faction has been given a significant gold advantage, probably enough for a proper assault into elf territory. I've seen this happen in a few games now, where flying units have rushed forward and taken all of the sea villages, giving them a very large economic advantage by turns 6-7.
Bear in mind also that the Elves cannot cross the middle area without taking heavy losses; there is next to no forest here, and their movement is severely restricted by the canyons. A single elf can be easily assaulted by multiple flying units as it navigates the center, another weakness that the Undead, Drakes, and Knalgans are meant to exploit. The Northerners' Nagas can reach the water slightly faster than the Elves, giving them a minor edge in the village race. In my mind, this leaves only the Loyalists that could have a tough time of things, but even this is offset by their ability to overpower the elves on open ground (the center).
If anything though, it seems that this map could facilitate long long matches, where forces could keep building until someone finally attempts to break through the middle.
The 9.3 version will almost definitely have less forest, but still, I'd like to hear what people think about this; how bad the elf advantage may be, and other suggestions for equalizing things, if this is indeed the case.
Last edited by Doc Paterson on June 8th, 2005, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
without your noses.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

On "Hornshark Isle," I'm considering moving the sea-village that is near the middle of the island closer to the player 2 side, so as to insure that they could reach it before player 1. There are other small anti player-1-advantage features, but I think this would bring it closer to the ideal. I've actually not been too keen on this map lately, and could really go either way as to whether or not it's in 9.3. Any opinions?
without your noses.
ryn

Post by ryn »

Now what we need is a random map generator which can make maps of this quality, and the game is perfect :D
2B |! 2B = 3F
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

You took out the Princess's Battlefield, you villian you! I haven't played on the new maps so I can't judge them much, but that map was both fun and pretty balanced.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:You took out the Princess's Battlefield, you villian you! I haven't played on the new maps so I can't judge them much, but that map was both fun and pretty balanced.
I'll ransom it back to you. :D

Seriously though, a lot of us, myself included, felt that the massive campaignish 1v1 maps had to be cut down on. Many were balanced, but lent themselves to those loooong games that most 1v1 players dislike.
without your noses.