What are the hallmarks of a good MP player (and map)?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

What are the hallmarks of a good MP player (and map)?

Post by Rhuvaen »

1. What constitutes a good player on MP? What are the different skills you need?

2. What do you think you're good at that's important im MP play?

3. What do maps or scenarios need for good (fair and enjoyable) MP play?

I started wondering about this because I read some of the names of good players in the other thread, and while I have beaten some of them in some situations I'd probably lose against most in others.

My answers to these:
1: skills are reactive recruitment, tactical positioning, timing of coordinated attacks, group movement covering damaged units, moving so you can choose where to engage, strategic eye for the distribution of forces, good understanding of combined unit strengths vs an opposing force, good judgement of "least necessary force" to resolve any local skirmishes in your favour, understanding of relative unit strengths and weaknesses in a one-to-one comparison.

2: I think I'm good at the strategic elements and coordinated attacks but make errors when it comes to judging skirmishes involving small unit numbers, exact moves and such. That's why I don't play much on the smallest duelling maps, and like multi-side situations.

3: IMO, maps should have some room to choose the battle location, not have too many predictable tight spots where units duke it out on a 1vs1 basis, and allow for multiple sides to play in teams. On the other hand, I hate to spend all my starting gold on scouts on the bigger maps with too many villages. FoW is something I originally liked, but I can see how it can skew the whole situation - you recruit units that can't beat your foes but won't find out until 10 turns later... hm. More for 'epic'-type battles where you don't want to follow all the action anyway :).