Welcome to the Multiplayer Development Forum!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Welcome to the Multiplayer Development Forum!

Post by Dave »

We've opened this new forum to discuss all aspects of multiplayer development. This will include discussion of balancing changes, as well as server issues and development.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sounds good.

What exactly should be posted here? Can, for example, eras that people have created be posted here, or do those belong in S&C development?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

BTW: This forum has no moderators.

Turin: User campaigns go in Scenario and Campaign Development, so user Eras should go in Multiplayer Development.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:BTW: This forum has no moderators.
yet.
Elvish Pillager wrote:Turin: User campaigns go in Scenario and Campaign Development, so user Eras should go in Multiplayer Development.
Well, previously eras (and maps) were posted in S&C dev.

So now both will be posted here? It seems good to not have the S&C dev. forum so crowded...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:So now both will be posted here? It seems good to not have the S&C dev. forum so crowded...
Given that there is no such thing as a scenario that isn't for multiplayer or a campaign, shouldn't S&C be renamed to just Campaign Development then?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

S&C usually picks up the WML questions as well, which would probably have as good a home there as here. It would be nice though if the WML questions stayed consolidated in one or the other. The kinds of things people try to do with WML aren't so different between SP and MP.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: What exactly should be posted here?
Just be reasonable. If someone posts a help request for finishing Heir to the Throne here, then clearly that's off-topic, but if anything could be arguably on-topic here, then let's just not sweat it.
turin wrote: Can, for example, eras that people have created be posted here, or do those belong in S&C development?
Sure. S&C development should focus more on single player campaigns and WML issues. Once again though, either way is fine.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oh, and one last question. Will, as happened when the Music Development forum was created, the topics that would belong in here, but were posted earlier in the S&C dev. forum, be moved here?

(I think that makes sense, and I can't find any better way of phrasing it. :) )
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:Oh, and one last question. Will, as happened when the Music Development forum was created, the topics that would belong in here, but were posted earlier in the S&C dev. forum, be moved here?
If moderators have the time and inclination, they are welcome to do this.

David
Elvish_Pillager

Dave wrote:If moderators have the time and inclination, they are welcome to do this.

David
Given that it's been done, who did it? Clearly not moderators...
scott

Post by scott »

Who do you think the moderator of the scenario and campaign forum is? I would say clearly it was a moderator... who else would do it?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

scott wrote:Who do you think the moderator of the scenario and campaign forum is? I would say clearly it was a moderator... who else would do it?
It had to be an admin. The reason why all mods are mods of Off-Topic is that you have to be a moderator of a forum to move a topic there. So if EP wanted a topic moved from Strategies to Developer Discussion he would move the topic to Off-Topic and then someone, say Invisible Philosopher, would move the topic from Off-Topic to Developer Discussion.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
scott

Post by scott »

No, it was I. We can move topics to other people's forums without asking.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

scott wrote:No, it was I. We can move topics to other people's forums without asking.
Hmm, you're right... I seem to recall not being able to do that in the past, though (one of the reasons there were so many mods in OT, I was once told).
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
scott

Post by scott »

Sanna set it up that way. Maybe it was set this way before the crash. Some other settings, such as the layout of the attachment control panel probably reset to defaults.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.