Dunefolk Rework - Changes In Unit Lines & Base Units

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hejnewar

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Changes In Unit Lines & Base Units

Post by Hejnewar »

doofus-01 wrote: November 4th, 2019, 2:25 am Is it odd that there is no forest terrain defense penalty for the rider line, unlike the loyalist/"human" horsemen? They are supposed to be human, and there's no reason to think they'd be better with forests than the other human horsemen. Basically change 40%->30%.

EDIT: Also, for similar reasons of expectations, does it make sense for the Naga recruit to be liminal? The mainline Naga is neutral.
I cant say anything about naga but dunefolk horses actually descend from elvish not loyalist horses. If you look at geography it would be hard for loyalist horses to appear in region that is "home" of dunefolk, elvish horses live closer and even after long time of accustomization to hilly / desert region that they live in now some traits of elvish horses would remain also thanks to their current habitat they became smaller and much cheaper to maintain (they can eat pretty much anything and wont be sick while regular horses can die after eating something for example wet). Dunefolk of course breed them in certain way but the are still smaller than loyalist horses (with exception of Sunderer and Cataphract horses that are expensive and are breaded to fulfil role of heavy battle mount, other horse units have more common types of horses), its against dunefolk interest to have big expensive and fast horses, they need small and durable horses that will allow them to travel thru harsh environments without much food.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hejnewar wrote: November 4th, 2019, 8:51 am
doofus-01 wrote: November 4th, 2019, 2:25 am Is it odd that there is no forest terrain defense penalty for the rider line, unlike the loyalist/"human" horsemen? They are supposed to be human, and there's no reason to think they'd be better with forests than the other human horsemen. Basically change 40%->30%.

EDIT: Also, for similar reasons of expectations, does it make sense for the Naga recruit to be liminal? The mainline Naga is neutral.
I cant say anything about naga but dunefolk horses actually descend from elvish not loyalist horses. If you look at geography it would be hard for loyalist horses to appear in region that is "home" of dunefolk, elvish horses live closer and even after long time of accustomization to hilly / desert region that they live in now some traits of elvish horses would remain also thanks to their current habitat they became smaller and much cheaper to maintain (they can eat pretty much anything and wont be sick while regular horses can die after eating something for example wet). Dunefolk of course breed them in certain way but the are still smaller than loyalist horses (with exception of Sunderer and Cataphract horses that are expensive and are breaded to fulfil role of heavy battle mount, other horse units have more common types of horses), its against dunefolk interest to have big expensive and fast horses, they need small and durable horses that will allow them to travel thru harsh environments without much food.
Hrm, the horses seem just as fast as the loyalist horsemen, and geographic distribution wouldn't matter much if humans were moving them, so I'm not sure how much I buy all that. :hmm: But if they really are supposed to be different animals than the loyalist horses, I guess I could at least try to show that in the sprite. There's a risk it will make them appear something like donkey riders, but we'll see.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
walodar

Post by walodar »

I was wondering about the leader choices for the dunefolk multiplayer faction. In the Age of Heroes, the Dune Warmaster is available as leader, but in the Default era, the Dune Captain is not, even though he has the ability leadership. I also think the Dune Alchemist would be an attractive addition, with his regeneration and poison attack.

For both these suggestions, an additional argument is that for all other factions, if one unit is available as a leader, all the other units of the same level in its unit tree always are as well. (And current leaders include the Spearguard and the Swordsman from the Captain's tree and the Apothecary from the Alchemist's tree.)
ghype

Post by ghype »

walodar wrote: December 15th, 2019, 11:22 am I was wondering about the leader choices for the dunefolk multiplayer faction. In the Age of Heroes, the Dune Warmaster is available as leader, but in the Default era, the Dune Captain is not, even though he has the ability leadership. I also think the Dune Alchemist would be an attractive addition, with his regeneration and poison attack.

The reason why Dune Captain and Dune Alchemist are no leader are balance reasons.