Please try out and give feedback on new features in the beta

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

iceiceice

Please try out and give feedback on new features in the beta

Post by iceiceice »

Hi Everyone,

Since we are in beta for 1.12, you are of course all welcome to try out and test the latest version on the mp server. (Any feedback / bugs found are extremely valuable, as we are in feature freeze now and all devs are mainly working on bug fixing before the next stable version.)

But, I want specifically to ask people to try out the new blindfold feature and give me any of the following feedback.

The blindfold is intended to work as follows: When you rejoin a game you dc'd from, or otherwise want to take control in an active game, you check "enter blindfolded", next to "quick replays" in the lobby. Then when you enter a game, you will see no units and no terrain, until you are given control of a side.

As a bonus however, I *believe* that it will also be significantly faster to rejoin a long game this way, as besides skipping animations, the game will no longer have to compute visibility at every turn.

1.) Did the blindfold work in the way that you expected to?

2.) Did you find that getting to the end of a long replay was faster with blindfold or without? Or no difference?

3.) Did you find that the performance of the game was noticeably worse than you are used to in 1.10? (Please describe your machine specs if so.)

4.) If the blindfold is noticeably faster for most users, it might make sense to apply a blindfold during quick replays as well (which would automatically be removed when you catch up with the players). Although, I imagine some players might prefer the current unanimated but non-blindfolded quick replays, I kind of like them actually. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think there should be a preference to enable this?

Please give me feedback if you want to help improve these aspects of MP wesnoth play -- after 1.12 comes out (expected in a few months), it becomes harder and harder to make changes to these features, as all 1.12 clients must be compatible, and 1.14 isn't expected to be released for another 1.5-2 years! For the same reason, you should also give feedback more generally.

~iceiceice~

related threads:
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39652
http://gna.org/bugs/?21405
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Please try out and give feedback on new features in the

Post by Velensk »

Might be nice to have the ability to just abort a game rather than having to save and abort every time, especially when a game is already over and/or practically over.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
UK1

Post by UK1 »

iceiceice wrote:
As a bonus however, I *believe* that it will also be significantly faster to rejoin a long game this way, as besides skipping animations, the game will no longer have to compute visibility at every turn.
This takes care of my second biggest problem with multiplayer. And my biggest problem cannot reasonably be fixed because it has to do with addons. So, you guys rock, I guess.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

iceiceice wrote: As a bonus however, I *believe* that it will also be significantly faster to rejoin a long game this way, as besides skipping animations, the game will no longer have to compute visibility at every turn.
i believe the code that calculates the fog/shroud is the same that calculated the sighted events (actions/vision.cpp), which can have an influenece on the game, thats why you cannot skip these calculation in replays.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

gfgtdf: I see, I didn't expect that. You are right, in the current implementation there shouldn't actually be a performance increase.

Regardless I would still appreciate any answers to (1), (3).
Spoiler:
Velensk: Wintermute suggested that the "Save and abort" save be an autosave, I can't remember if this is how it works on trunk right now or not. In the first implementation it was a named save. I think we felt that having "Save and abort" and "Abort" options was excessive. But I do think there should be some kind of save option -- see SlowThinker's argument in the bug report.

UK1: As always I guess you have the option to rehost the game if it is too long. But I don't think you should actually expect any performance increase here unfortunately.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

iceiceice wrote:
Spoiler:
i think visibility computing is one of the most cpu expensive things (after AI calculations) (but i didn't test it neigher, but there are bugs that suggest that gna.org/bugs/?21257) done in wesnoth. So i like that idea. Note, that modifiactions might also use sighted events, so you would hav to add such a key in modifications too.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Please try out and give feedback on new features in the beta

Post by Atreides »

It's terrible. When used to OBSERVE a game you end up permablind.
EarthCake

Re: Please try out and give feedback on new features in the beta

Post by EarthCake »

Atreides wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 8:32 pm It's terrible. When used to OBSERVE a game you end up permablind.
Hey, that is because you chosed in observe options "Enter Blindfolded", which means that you will not see map or anything until you are given side to play.