Introducing WesMod -- The Wesnoth Modern/Total Modification!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

Introducing WesMod -- The Wesnoth Modern/Total Modification!

Post by dipseydoodle »

Since I don't think this belongs in any other UMC sub forums I decided that I needed to post here, since this is actually quite experimental.

Years back (not to bring back bad headaches or anything) I had begun talk of several ideas for possible Wesnoth total conversion, though none were ever even "attempted"(so to speak). Then the other week or so Fabi began asking for icon art (radio boxes) which got me thinking tonight!

I've finally attempted this age old TC thing now (several have been tried before... Spacenoth, WWII mod and the new Steampunk Wesnoth game for the iphone) and I've already got working stuff.

Currently this is just a GUI/graphics mod but I hope to include:

*new mainline campaigns (mainline in WesMod standards that is)
*new faction(s) (modernized races/factions etc)
* & more *NEW*(Eras based on game type***seal/swat, ctf, etc...***)

Here's a little demo of some simple buttons I've thrown together they are nothing new... I'm planning on adding "toggle switch or switch" style buttons to give it a high-tech computer look.

****stay tunned, due to work etc... I only have limmited time nowendays :P***

- Thanks, dipseydoodle

ps: To make work just replace your old button with the new ones (drag and drop) somewhere in wesnoth/images/buttons (not core/images)

*UPDATED*
Attachments
wesmod.zip
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Last edited by dipseydoodle on April 7th, 2013, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dipseydoodle

Re: Introducing WesMod -- The Wesnoth Modern/Total Modificat

Post by dipseydoodle »

UPDATE:

New switches! (needs some shading work)

UPDATE:

Final revision for the buttons checkboxes, I'm moving onto arrow boxes and such next.

UPDATE 4/17:

Making more progress finishing up the wesnoth color and B/W cursors, will post when work and time allows.
Attachments
checkbox-active-pressed.png
checkbox-active-pressed.png (566 Bytes) Viewed 10215 times
checkbox-active.png
checkbox-active.png (477 Bytes) Viewed 10215 times
checkbox.png
checkbox.png (452 Bytes) Viewed 10215 times
wesmod.zip
(26.27 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
checkbox.png
checkbox.png (368 Bytes) Viewed 10241 times
Marwic

Post by Marwic »

I´m new to this forum, but I has enjoy playing Battle for Wesnot for some years now. I would like to help people developing new eras, so I´ll post here some of the most known units in WW2 and suggested values and upgrades. I know it is very little, but took me A LOT OF TIME (years, really) to get it, so I hope it to be helpfull or at least can be used as a base for any furure develop. I has made another one much more extensive and complex, but maybe would not properly match the actual BforW game mechanics, but if any of you are interested, just let me know. Tyvm.
Long, poorly formatted number dump:
I did it (and of course I have it) in Excell format -dunno how to properly post it in here tho-. If there are any interested, just let me know and I can send it to you by e-mail.
Japanese and Italian tanks has not any value assigned since they were really light, so they could be used a bit more like explorers with very low combat value -even against infantry-.
Last edited by Gambit on July 14th, 2013, 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Made the page not quite as long
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Can you upload the excel file as an attachment to your post? This info dump is very difficult to understand.
Marwic

Post by Marwic »

I don´t know how to upload it...
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Marwic wrote:I don´t know how to upload it...
When writing a post, look below the posting interface. You should see two tabs — “Options”, and “Upload attachment” — immediately below the “Save draft”, “Preview”, and “Submit” buttons. Select “Upload attachment”. Choose a file, then press the “Add the file” button.
Marwic

Post by Marwic »

An error message appears when I try to add the Excel documents: "The extension xls is not allowed"... I have 7 different factions (each one in its own Excel page) and a general stuff Excel page (8 different Excel documents in total), but I cant upload them here :(
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Zip it or change the extension to bypass that sad little attempt at security by phpBB. Alternatively, upload it to google drive and share it with us.
moopli

Post by moopli »

In case anyone still cares, the data Marwic posted is pretty interesting, and I put it all in a spreadsheet :D
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
If you like, leave comments there with ideas on making the data more useful.
Marwic

Post by Marwic »

moopli wrote:In case anyone still cares, the data Marwic posted is pretty interesting, and I put it all in a spreadsheet :D
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
If you like, leave comments there with ideas on making the data more useful.
I'm revising all that data. I'm working in a far deeper stats/abilities/upgrades for all that stuff. And it is becoming quite vast I guess... and interesting (I hope). So far I'm working in 7 factions (Germans, Russians, US, French, Italy, GBR and Japan) as well as in marshalls, admirals, skills, vission limits, besiege rules, etc.
Also, I wonder if it would be possible to create a kind of "TripleA World at War FUEL v3 variant Japan" kind of "persistent main map". From there, we could get into Wesnoth-kind battles. I mean: Having a "Grand persistent map" divided into several territories (the most, the better) being subject to be invaded.
It will work more or less this way:
1) A persistent "Main" map when you deal with resources, recruit troops and manage your "STRATEGICAL LEVEL MOVEMENTS". Naval battles would take place here as well as air battles. A TripleA simple combat system could be used for this battles.
2) Then, once you has made your movements, it is the turn of your oponent (human or AI) for moving, resources managment, buying units, etc..
3) Once all players had made their moves, TACTICAL LEVEL ACTION takes place.
3.1) First, naval and air battles in the persistent map (TripleA like combat).
3.2) Then, the combat in the territories invaded by all players in a "Wesnoth like" mode (Tactical mode).
For this, a new PERSISTENT "minor (Wesnoth-like) map" will open, where you will deploy your units in one extreme of the map (Steel Panthers WaW like).
4) Fog of war is crutial for both maps, so you will be obligated to make reconnaissance manouvers on the Main (strategical) map with airplanes and risk to lose them if you want to know what and how much your enemy have in the adjacent territories.
Also, vission of tanks will be very limited, being strongly dependant in vission range of infantry/airplanes while fighting in the "minor maps".
Here, in this Tactical map, gameplay will be so similar to the actual one (but for some new abilities that forts, bridges and cities will have).
5) After certain amount of rounds (I'm thinking about 30) if no one has been able to put the enemy(ies) out the disputed territory, a "stalemate" will occur, having place a new "grand phase" in which you will be able to manage your resources, sent reinforcements, retreat or whatever you like (again).
6) If someone whipes out all the enemies from a territory, then he/she will be the new owner and will be able to gain the resources of it and invest them at will.
6.1) THEN, Player will be able to POSITION his/her units everywhere (but for a small line at the borders of the territory reserved for eventual invaders positionment) he/she wants in the "minor (Wesnoth-like) Tactical map" with no movent restrictions, but with terrain restrictons still applied (a tank will not go high mountains or deep watter, etc.).
7) A new "Grand" turn begins then, and players can move their units through the Strategical map (TripleA movent rules), manage their resources, buying units and place them ON THE "MAIN (Strategical) map"... and so on.

As you can see A LOT OF WORK IS NEEDED for it, but this is a huge comunity and I guess we can do it if we work together. I hope you found it interesting enough to be willing in helping me out with this. Tyvm.
Marwic

Post by Marwic »

If someone is interested in taking a look on the work I have done for this new era pls send me a private message letting me know your e-mail and I'll send it to you (or you can post it here if you want). Ty.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

This sounds very cool. I too have actaually looked at AAA for this too. I still plan on finishing that,but right now I'm working on finishing my previously unfinished Apocalypse Era & Campaign. I do hope to incorporate APOE into WesMod once it is finished.

Regarding AAA, I wonder... I've been trying to think of a script that would cut a eagles' eye "picture" into diferent hex sized pieces and these could be stiched together as terrain transitions for a map. This would be the first step to working WesMod into as I see it.
moopli

Post by moopli »

Marwic wrote:...
<Obligatory voice of reason> Although cool, altogether that's getting very wide in scope. I'd say it would be a much better idea to stick to wesnoth's standard tactical interface instead of a two-level strategic/tactical system.

That does raise an interesting (and quite OT) idea though -- what if wesnoth had an API that other games could use to plug wesnoth in for tactical battles? Ie, you're playing a modded version of TripleA, and every encounter involving you is played out as a wesnoth battle. Or you're playing FreeCiv, and every battle, again, is played out on a wesnoth battlefield. I'll just go and start a new topic now...
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

That'd be interesting, but it would really involve alot of extra code... C/C++ that people would not be willing to learn... That's why I abandoned the 3D ideas that I had for WesMod previously.