World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: World of Wesnoth (MMORPG add-on project)

Post by Heindal »

I'd like to take a little break too. Its very stressful at the moment and there has been a new situation in my real life as well, which is - lets say - very annoying.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

:( Well, I have to write the core code, and it is far from being finished by now, and without it, most other things are quite pointless.
I hope you'll be able to return when I finish the most necessary things.

But I will be much less active during early winter as well, I am at university, I have exams, and I have to learn a lot, theoretical physics isn't easy.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Good luck for your exams. For now I need to slow things down now. Too many open projects, not enough focus.
Merry Christimas and a Happy New Year to all of you.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
alex23

Post by alex23 »

so.. finally back, finished nearly all exams^^ wanted to ask if you still work on this or not? if yes is there anything to do?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am just returning to it. I also finished my exams. So yes, can be said we still work.

Atm, unit graphics are completely non-existant, so I think you might make some baseframes for now. The unit will be basically a collage of several images, so the positions of weapons and shields should be generic. Try to make a male, female and macho baseframe, then some weapons that would be placed over them, shields, helms, and armours (light, medium, heavy, clothing). Colour all clothes and weapons grey, I already have written a piece of code that can colour them according to data files. Have no shame to frankenstein other sprites.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

what kind of weapons exactly? one type of shields or different? tower, heavy etc

heres a first try for he male base not even nearly finished but is the height etc ok?
his hands are too big but i find it difficult to make them look like hands when they are smaller..
Attachments
Male_base_try1.png
Male_base_try1.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Weapons mean sword, rapier (basically, just a curved sword), axe, mace, wand and dagger. There can be only one kind of shield for now. From distance, the sprite looks okay, proportions look correct, the details will be polished later, when we'll have all parts drawn.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

here, i have no idea about the wand: staff? small wand? bigger wand? there are simly too many possibilities.. and about the shield a round one? a tower? or something between them?
Attachments
weapons_wesnothmmorpg.png
weapons_wesnothmmorpg.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Wand is meant to be some kind of a smaller staff, held in one hand, like the one Mage holds.
I need the weapons to be in a 72x72 px transparent square in a position so that when it is placed over the character, it looks like if it was in his hand. Sorry if it sounds too bossy, but I would have to do that myself otherwise and I am quite busy writing lua codes (atm, I am writing the codes for character level-up), I want to create an alpha that would be playable to a certain extent, so that Heindal could make more quests, locations, scenarios, etc.

Additionally, can you please fill the requirements for higher skill levels in this file:
classes.cfg
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
accordingly to the skills list we discussed? (it is filled for barbarian, so it should be easy to learn how to do it for other classes, deciding about the details is up to you)

Another success, this window checks for requirements for skills, lists those that aren't met, and generally lets you advance to a new level. I hope to figure out later how to improve the appearance.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

looks nice (the window) ill try to make all the weapons as you asked and the file tile tomorrow evening as i dont have time today anymore.
About the lua code: its good that you focus on it as i cant write that or help you with it.. i tried but its just too complicated yet for me.
I will start the other sprites tomorrow as well although we maybe should first improve the details of the current version and "upgrade" it to woman/macho afterwards?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

looks nice (the window) ill try to make all the weapons as you asked and the file tile tomorrow evening as i dont have time today anymore.
No problem, there is a lot of things to do so that some of them can wait till I do other things.
About the lua code: its good that you focus on it as i cant write that or help you with it.. i tried but its just too complicated yet for me.
I didn't know how to write it when I begun with this add-on.
I will start the other sprites tomorrow as well although we maybe should first improve the details of the current version and "upgrade" it to woman/macho afterwards?
Yes, it is a good idea to draw them first for one sprite and then improve it for others.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hey, Dugi. The options for the Skill Improvement could better if you would resize them (reduce the height). :hmm:

Anyways, is this thing playable yet, cause I want to be a beta-tester?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
alex23

Post by alex23 »

its not even alpha actually.. as far as i know we have currently only decided the basic structure. made a few placeholdersprites, one single unfinished scenario with a map and the char creation isnt finished yet as well.. although all those things are in progress..
However thats what i know, maybe dugi is already further?

EDIT:
here are the first 4 weapons that look ok plus the holding position
i will have to remake the scimitar/curved sword and make a staff that fits as the current one dont ...
the axe may look strange but because the picture will be mirrored most of the gaming time it looks good (in my opinion)
Attachments
holding_position.png
holding_position.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
sword_hold1.png
sword_hold1.png (673 Bytes) Viewed 3282 times
mace_hold1.png
mace_hold1.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
dagger_hold1.png
dagger_hold1.png (526 Bytes) Viewed 3282 times
axe_hold1.png
axe_hold1.png (936 Bytes) Viewed 3282 times
Last edited by alex23 on February 8th, 2013, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Hey, Dugi. The options for the Skill Improvement could better if you would resize them (reduce the height).
That is easy to tell, hard to do. The size had to be pointlessly increased because otherwise it crashed, these GUIs are badly bugged. The size is determined by the size of the picture, but with size of the picture 16x19 it crashed when I clicked on a skill (even if I disabled all callback functions related to it). I had to enlarge it to 72x72 (standard sprite size) to make it work. Also, the skill level (if not zero) is displayed under the name of the skill, but all skills were at zero when I was making that screenshot. I should replace the icon for available and unavailable skill by something larger soon, I think.
However thats what i know, maybe dugi is already further?
Okay, I can tell you the level of progression:

What IS done:
Character creation
First scenario, densely populated with monsters
Attributes and their effects on character properties
Items

What is PARTIALLY done:
Inventory control (not all item properties are coded, it is possible to equip any item)
Character properties window (shows only some properties)
Advancing (not all changes are done yet)

What is NOT done at all:
Skills and their effects on the character
Magic
Randomised item generation
Quests

So I can conclude that we are still far from needing beta testers. Not even alpha testers. In fact, we are far from needing any testers at all yet. But I'll let you know when we will need.
alex23

Post by alex23 »

i edited mylast post just so you see