Dawrvish Scout xp tweak

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoskel
Art Contributor

Dawrvish Scout xp tweak

Post by Neoskel »

The dwarvish scout unit is currently unavailable for mainline multiplayer, but i added it into a modified Pick Your Recruits era with other mainline-but-not-default units. Playing a couple games shows that they are actually quite strong and act more like a mixed fighter, with damage rivaling frontline fighters and archers in both categories (6-3 melee & 8-2 ranged). They have only 8 less health than a dwarvish fighter and only slightly lower resistances (10% to everything) however they require only 30 xp to level up currently, compared to the fighter's 41 (thunderer: 40, ulfserker: 42, guardsman: 47).

That seems wrong, as the dwarvish scout is actually better than the fighter in most circumstances. I feel that the scout and its level 2 the pathfinder should require more experience to level up, about the same amount as the fighter/steelclad. 40 or 41 seem about right, or maybe 39 or 38.

The cost is good though. 18 gold for scout, 16 for fighter, 17 for thunderer, 19 for ulfserker and guardsman.
Horus2

Re: Dawrvish Scout xp tweak

Post by Horus2 »

And it just happens to be another modified PYR there secretly, i'm surprised... :)
What i can say is that Dwarvish Scout is an OP unit obviously, hence it costs 20 in my Pick Your Recruits, although i still use the old one with 20% physical resistances.

Let's state that the Dwarvish Thunderer is a perfectly balanced unit and compare Dwarvish Scout to it, since it is the most similar one. Let's consider pierce, blade and impact damage types equally useful. The advantages of these units are by using the less resistant Scout if their experience requirements become the same:
+1 mp, +6 melee dmg for the Scout
+4 hp, +2 ranged dmg, +3x10% resist for the Thunderer

Evaluating of the resistance could be tricky, but since physical attacks are far more common than others, with healing effects and traits included, additional 10% on this unit with 30 base hp results the absorbtion of 6 points of damage approximately. Maybe less if fighting against a cavalryman spam, maybe more if it is sitting on a village. According to my observations, a rule of thumb says that on an average combat unit between the cost of 10 and 20 gold and without outstanding skills or parameters, +1 movement point, +3 damage or +4/+5 hp makes the unit worth +1 gold in each case. Thus the pros of the two units seem roughly equal to me, which means the Dwarvish Scout with these stats should rather cost 17 gold.

Hopefully i was understandable. ^_^
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Horus2 wrote:Hopefully i was understandable. ^_^
You were, but i don't see how any of that is relevant to the topic at hand. The price is already at 18 gold and is good as is. I just want the xp requirement increased.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Lets just say that someone breed a thunderer(movetype) and a poacher(low XP) so we have these low XP requiment scouts.

Anyway i don't see a good enough reason to change it.
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'll admit to not careing a whole lot about the topic but-

Even if it is a campaign unit, it will likely be used elsewhere and although low xp requirement seems to be a choosen aspect of the units design, I do not think that it is a neccisary or a good one.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."