Settlers of Catan

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

terakay273

Settlers of Catan

Post by terakay273 »

I've had this idea for a while, but am not an experienced enough programmer to implement it. Have any of you played the board game Settlers of Catan? If not, it's a great game. But seeing as both it and Wesnoth use hexes, it got me thinking: What if someone made a Settlers mod for Wesnoth? I don't know at all how it would work, considering the rules of the two games are completely different. Still, I think it would be a cool mod that many people would enjoy using on multiplayer. However, I realize this could be a legal issue with Mayfair games (creators of Settlers) so we'd have to get permission. Anyone agree with me?
Rhugastan's Bridge campaign
8 scenarios of 20 completed
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Settlers of Catan

Post by Gambit »

I do not know anything about legalities, but this belongs in Multiplayer Development.
I moved it for you.
terakay273

Post by terakay273 »

Ah, okay. I meant it as just an outlandish idea, but I guess it could go under Multiplayer Development.
norbert

Post by norbert »

terakay273 wrote:What if someone made a Settlers mod for Wesnoth?
Dovolente's "Dov's MP Maps" add-on on the 1.4 add-on server contains a Settlers_Era.cfg that was inspired by Settlers of Catan. And back in the 0.9.x days of Wesnoth, Rhuvaen experimented with random maps, and created "Settlers of Wesnoth". So it seems there were some related initiatives here and there, but it's all from days long gone.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

It's probably possible with WML, yes. This could actually be a pretty good idea...
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Be mindful of copyrights. (It's okay if it's inspired by Settlers of Catan, but don't call it SoC and don't duplicate entire things from the game.)
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
itota

Post by itota »

i love settlers of catan too, and ur idea is interesting.
terakay273 wrote:I don't know at all how it would work, considering the rules of the two games are completely different.
this is the biggest problem :augh:

i want to read the detailed rule of your settlers of wesnoth someday.
terakay273

Post by terakay273 »

Again, I'm not at all a skilled programmer, so this idea is probably not for me to make. I was just throwing the idea out there, and anyone who would like to expand is welcome to.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I love that game, but I can never get anyone else to play it with me cause it's so long! :x

Anyway, I like this idea too, but it would be quite a project and it's unlikely that it would be picked up by someone else, cause they all have their own ideas too... kind of sad- I'd love to see this actually made. :(
terakay273

Post by terakay273 »

I could, but I'm already working on a campaign, and I'm not a programmer. By the way, have you played Cities and Knights? It extends it even longer!
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Captain Wrathbow, there is settlers of Catan game on the net which plays fast :wink:

And adapting to Wesnoth is a freaking good idea! All my friends (not only playing Wesnoth) actually enjoy Settlers of Catan... Could bring several players to discover Wesnoth :eng:
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

But why would they play the Wesnoth version when there is that web version already running? :hmm:

Especially since, if you're thinking of the one I'm thinking of, it offers lots of options and, importantly, bots that are capable of interesting, if not tremendously competitive, play.