MP Campaign: The 7 Seasons (Add-On) - Try it now!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rya

Re: MP Campaign: The 7 Seasons (Add-On) - Try it now!

Post by Rya »

Updated to 1.0.4.

I fixed a bug that caused the players to get an additional Peasant leader in 1.8 even if their leader didn't die when advancing to the next scenario.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

Yo, got a problem! Before that I'd just like to say good work, and thanks for the fun so far!

When the second scenario starts there is no objective, and the leaders are peasants.

The host occupied the 2nd player spot so I assume that's the problem then? All the characters can be recalled, including the real leader, though.

I've attached saves from the end of the first and start of second, can they be fixed?

EDIT: We tried reloading the last save of the 1st scenario with the host as player 1, but it made no difference. We also updated to the latest version when doing so. All the play up until that point was using 1.0.3, though, if it is relevant.
Attachments
The_7_Seasons_Campaign_Turn_19.gz
End save of 1st scenario
(53.77 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
The_7_Seasons_(Autumn).gz
Start save of 2nd scenario
(10.82 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Rya

Post by Rya »

The peasant bug was fixed in version 1.0.4, you just need to update the add-on. The fix will only work for new games, if you continue a game that you started in an older version you will still get this bug. Sorry about that.

I haven't defined objectives inside the scenario files, they are always the default one "Defeat enemy leader without losing both of your leaders", that's why there are none displayed. Don't worry about it. If you kill the enemy leader it should be success.

In 1.6 there were quite some bugs for multiplayer campaigns that appeared if the first player was not host or if the players change in the middle of the campaign. I'm not sure if those bugs were fixed in 1.8.

Thanks for playing my campaign. :-)
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

If we continued on, would everything be back to order in the 3rd scenario or do we have to start over?
Rya

Post by Rya »

Well you'll get another additional peasant leader, after that this peasant leader will be kept as the main leader. I mean it's not such a big problem since you'll still keep your old leaders and can recall them. It actually makes the game a little bit easier.

If you want the peasants to be removed complete you'll have to start over.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

We continued on - and yes, it makes things a bit easier... Good thing, too.
embair

Post by embair »

Hi, I just played through the campaing with a friend. The map design was nice indeed, planning our advance was always full of interesting choices. Sadly, we were not able to keep up with the increasing difficulty level and gave up at the 5th map (desert). A few pieces of feedback:

- the carryover rule is downright evil - 40% of gold OR (not plus) the defined minimum (100) - didn't see that in any other campaign. It means no matter how well you do, you can hardly start the map with much more than 150 gold. We ended our playthrough facing an oponent who had 700 gold and 5 gold per village, while we had 100+126 and 2 per village. That makes me believe there might be a bug involved with the carryover rule.

- there are no objectives displayed except for the first map (not like it was unclear what needs to be done :-))

Overall, this campaign proved to me that you dont need a breath-taking narrative or varied objectives to create a fun coop experience. Hell of a nice job with the map design. I just really wish the difficulty level would keep somewhat closer to where it was at the beginning :-).

Well, thanks for the campaign!
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

embair wrote:Hi, I just played through the campaing with a friend. The map design was nice indeed, planning our advance was always full of interesting choices. Sadly, we were not able to keep up with the increasing difficulty level and gave up at the 5th map (desert).
Had the same problem, the desert map was just overwhelmingly difficult because of shortage of gold.
Rya

Post by Rya »

The carryover gold is intentional. That is because with 2 players you get double as much "early finish" bonus, that's why I halved the 80% bonus to balance it. Also I'm more the type that likes to play with small armies (especially in multiplayer I find it rather boring having to wait for the other player if the armies are huge). Good players should be able to achieve a starting gold between 150 and 200 for each map.

The difficulty should be increasing for each map, starting at "medium" and ending with "very hard". This should make it give more of an "arcade" feeling to it. In other words: The better you are, the further you will get. So it's intentional that you might have to play the campaign multiple times if you want to finally finish it. By the way the desert is already the 6th map (of 7 maps) and the fact that you got there already means you are a really good player.

I know that there have been 2 groups and a player that played both sides that managed to clear the campaign already, so it's not impossible. :-)

You can't only compare the gold to see if you have a chance though!

The enemy will have this sort of gold for his units:
Gold: 200-300-400-500-600-700-800
Village: 2-3-3-4-4-5-5
But you have to also consider, that he doesn't have recall, that means he actually recruits level 2 and level 3 units.
Level 2 units cost around 40 gold and level 3 units around 60 gold.
The players will have the possibility to recall units which costs 20 gold only, at the end I estimate they have acculated quite a few level 3 units already, and as much level 2 units as they can recall (the exp modifier is 70% so it's actually easier to get leveled units than in most campaigns).

So let's say you are on the desert map, both players have 140 gold and 3 level 3 units they want to call on this map.
They can call 3 level 3 units and 4 level 2 units at the first turn each, so they will have 6 level 3 units and 8 level 2 units.
Unit worth will be around: 6*60 + 8*40 = 680 Gold
That's pretty close to the gold the CPU starts with as well (on the desert map he will recruit ~18 level 2 units on first turn and use up all his gold by doing so).
The higher village gold needs to be countered by a good strategy. The AI isn't very smart when it comes to keeping villages.
And you need to use the fact that your newly recruited level 1 units will level more likely than the enemies level 2 units. If you manage to level a level 1 unit that means you got another level 2 unit for only ~20 gold, while the AI has to pay ~40 gold to recruit one.

So yes it's hard but not impossible.

Of course you only had 100+126 carryover gold which makes it quite hard indeed. It's already a signal that previous maps could have been cleared better / faster or that too many units were recruited when the match was already basically won.

I hope I could clear some things up.
- there are no objectives displayed except for the first map (not like it was unclear what needs to be done :-))
Basically intentional. I wanted to make the whole campaign completely "silent", so that the story is only told by the things you can see. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove the "no objectives" window that opens at start altogether.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Rya wrote:
Basically intentional. I wanted to make the whole campaign completely "silent", so that the story is only told by the things you can see. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove the "no objectives" window that opens at start altogether.
Sure it is. This would prevent the objectives from popping up at turn start for side 1:

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=new turn
    first_time_only=no

[lua]
        code = <<
            wesnoth.get_side(1).objectives_changed = false
        >>
    [/lua]
[/event]
You might need to adapt it a bit to make it also work for side 2. Like use name=side 1 turn,side 2 turn or something like that. The empty objectives might still show up when loading a game though.
Karadan

Post by Karadan »

So, really enjoying the campaign so far. Just got to the cave, but ran into a serious problem. My recall list is the same as it was at the start of the previous level, which means I've suddenly lost a ton of level 2 and 3 troops. I tried going back to the previous level (saved the last turn thankfully) and beating it again, but that didn't help. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Given the post about the difficulty just made, I don't know if I can make it through the cave level with the 3 level 2s that I have (forget how many exactly my dad has on his side, but it isn't many), even with our 400ish combined gold.
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

Karadan wrote:So, really enjoying the campaign so far. Just got to the cave, but ran into a serious problem. My recall list is the same as it was at the start of the previous level, which means I've suddenly lost a ton of level 2 and 3 troops. I tried going back to the previous level (saved the last turn thankfully) and beating it again, but that didn't help. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Given the post about the difficulty just made, I don't know if I can make it through the cave level with the 3 level 2s that I have (forget how many exactly my dad has on his side, but it isn't many), even with our 400ish combined gold.
Did you load the game at any time without going via the multiplayer game creation? I don't know if thats fixed nowadays but that used to be a big no-no. Try reloading the last save of the previous scenario that way and finishing it again.
Karadan

Post by Karadan »

Yeah, I did do that. Never had a problem with that before though, so it is a bit odd, but I'll give it a shot.

Yep, it worked. Thanks a ton. Now to clear the caves of undead with my two level 3s, army of level 2s, and my 190 gold :D
Karadan

Post by Karadan »

I guess my dad and I are doing this wrong, because we finished the cave level with over 250 gold each carrying over to the next level x.x'

He managed to lose a few of his higher level troops though, so we may need it.
Rya

Post by Rya »

Sounds like you're pretty good actually. Though now you'll get to the really hard levels. Keep us updated. :3
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".