Wall of Sorrow (standard MP map)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jequ

Wall of Sorrow (standard MP map)

Post by Jequ »

Wall of Sorrow is my 1v1 multiplayer map designed for standard gameplay. The name is just something what came to my mind when browsing my dictionary so I might change it. I was thinking about submitting this to the Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest but I need feedback & replays first. A lot of them. :? I afraid, I will run out of time but we'll see.

Gameplay

The biggest battles should take place in the centre but the mountain passages make it possible to launch surprise attacks. The players' keeps are connected with castles and water terrain so water units might prove themselves semi-useful. They shouldn't be a necessity but they also shouldn't be an absolute no-no. There are couple of forward keeps, one of them near the centre, so it should be easier to fight with your leader and play more aggressively.

Aesthetics

The map looks too green... :annoyed:
It should be a burned, demolished and annihilated battlefield! FIREEE!
The wall looks good now, though. Well, it can be recognized as a wall and it doesn't break the balance (other things already do that, I afraid...).

Feedback, replays, comments, anything, please.
Attachments
wall_of_sorrow.cfg
(13.66 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
mah-map.png
Sorrow

Re: Wall of Sorrow (standard MP map)

Post by Sorrow »

Always wanted my very own wall.
Let us all measure in milliyards, that way we can all get along.

Replay Archive: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Replays
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Drake Warrior can reach the front keep in 2 rounds, whereas every other leader takes three.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Caphriel wrote:Drake Warrior can reach the front keep in 2 rounds, whereas every other leader takes three.
no, every leader with 6 MP can reach the front keep within 2 rounds
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

So they can. That's what I get for trying to count hexes on the screenshot, rather than downloading it, I suppose :roll: I'm not sure if it's a problem or not, the amount of space between the two players and lack of easily rushable targets may make it not a problem.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

It is definitely a balance issue. Either all leaders should take 1, 2, or 3 turns to get to that keep... having a 6mp leader is advantageous already... Getting to that front keep early would mean putting pressure on the opposing side a turn earlier, an advantage that shouldn't exist.

As for asthetics, the map seems to be fairly mono-tone. It only has one mix of terrain throughout the entire map. I would suggest mixing it up a bit, and using a variety of terrain to accomplish the ideal look you were going for. Now this mostly opinion, but I think it'd make your map more interesting visually.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

F8 Binds... wrote:It is definitely a balance issue. Either all leaders should take 1, 2, or 3 turns to get to that keep... having a 6mp leader is advantageous already... Getting to that front keep early would mean putting pressure on the opposing side a turn earlier, an advantage that shouldn't exist.
hmm, although i love to have a tactical advantage by chosing a 6 MP leader, i can agree with that.

should be easy enough to fix though. just place the keep one hex farther away (on the hex which hold the swamp village (or whatever that is). that should work fine and would allow all leaders to reach the keep within 3 turns.

or ... place the keep two hexes nearer and remove the hill in front of it, so that all leaders can reach it in 2 turns
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

There's another problem with the positioning. A quick bat, glider, gryphon, or elvish scout recruited at the front keep hex of the starting castle can reach the enemy keep in two turns (or the enemy village that's near the keep) from the friendly village near the keep. P1 advantage much?
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

All issues noted and fixed. Thank you for your feedback!

No screenshot & download yet because I am re-thinking the aesthetics (thank you, F8 Binds).