Warnoth: MiniTourney ***IT'S LIKE, TOTALLY OVER!***

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tesafilmchen

Re: Warnoth: MiniTourney ***ROUND 2: OPEN SEASON*** 'till 11/22

Post by Tesafilmchen »

Loyalists learned from some mistakes (which shouldnt be mentioned again) and when they spotted the horde on hornshank island they called in the support of some fierce merman and riders. The battle endured some days before the evil assassin leader was taken by surprise and slaughtered in his hot bubble water tub before he could give the command to launch the next assault.

thx again Shotgun_Crocodile for the game
Attachments
shotgun.gz
(21.33 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Cackfiend

Re: Warnoth: MiniTourney ***ROUND 2: OPEN SEASON*** 'till 11/22

Post by Cackfiend »

ParadiseCity has still not even read my pm on the boards and I still never see him in game

wondering if we will ever get to play eachother....
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Death

Re: Warnoth: MiniTourney ***ROUND 3: Settling Scores*** ->12/5<-

Post by Death »

Spotlight of the Week: The Mongol Strat

The Mongols were a fearsome band of nomads whose reign dominated most of the 12th century. Led by Genghis Khan, they won several battles and invaded many countries reaching all the way from Asia to Central Europe. Notable among their many tactical innovations was the lethal combination of Horse and Archer that led to so many of their devastating victories. The previous statements are entirely historically true because I wrote them in italics.

What is the Mongol?

THIS is the Mongol:

One of the more interesting trends to come out of this tourney is the wedding of horse and archer into a marriage that can only mean relentless assault. Just ask Orc Rigor, a strong proponent of the Mongol.

We caught up to Rigor recently and asked if he could tell us a bit about the origins of this revolutionary strategy. This is what he had to say:

Rigor: Well dudes, I was right in the middle of this gnarly dream one night, with me and Claudia Schiffer from Zoolander, and right when we were about to get it on, I look back into her eyes and then BAM!
It's Genghis Khan! And I thought to myself, what could be scarier than that?

Truer words have never been spoken, friend.

Just as the Mongol Horde was made up of many cultures, the Mongol is not limited to just the Orcs.

Last week, as ShotgunCrocodile bore down on his luckless opponent in intimidating fashion, Veliq found himself in a world of trouble. His Orcish enemy had already snagged two villages, and as Uncle Cackfiend reminds us, 'that's like two grunts per turn'.

Things weren't looking too good.

Realizing the situation was desperate, Veliq finally decided enough was enough. It was time to SPRING IN TO ACTION.

Someone call for the Mongol?

Horse archers leading the way, a dramatic comeback was achieved. The day was saved thanks to this bold new tactic, to the surprise of many...

except not for

That's it for this week's Spotlight!

Tune in next week for Heroes of WarNoth™ or Those f00kers That Just Won't Die
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Death wrote:

The previous statements are entirely historically true because I wrote them in italics.

We caught up to Rigor recently and asked if he could tell us a bit about the origins of this revolutionary strategy.

Tune in next week for Heroes of WarNoth™ or Those f00kers That Just Won't Die
because i wrote them in italics? HAAHHAHAHAHA !!!

i think those wolves are very handy in many situations where a grunt simply fails. imagine a superunit that gets hurt by a grunt at night, having much less hp already, and then being attacked from 2 hexes with 6 attacks. even if im very optimistic, i dont think this unit might survive after two claw attacks or two archer strikes, not speaking about what happens if u manage to attack from 4 hexes like sometimes ppl think those units are invincible. of course thats only one way to play and sometimes there is a mix of possible strategies that can be applied.

i really like your idea of the heroes of warnoth =))) im very curious about the outcome of the last few games !
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

need to get someone to replace paradise city ;)
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Veliq

Post by Veliq »

Cackfiend wrote:need to get someone to replace paradise city ;)
Yes, this would be preferred. But might be a little hard to do, since they'd be behind as well.
Kvinkunx

Post by Kvinkunx »

@ Cackfiend

We also need to hire you a manager to finally arrange our match. :wink:
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

im waiting already for my final match maybe we can arrange something ?
Death

Post by Death »

I'm aiming for a couple of updates later tonight or tomorrow. the short is: play kvinkunx as soon as you can. pick a big map that's more interesting for orc mirrors, like silverhead or sullas. the winner will play cackfiend for the finals, preferably this coming weekend.
Death

Post by Death »

Spotlight of the Week: Heroes of WarNoth™

From great battles come great heroes, and the stories told of their exploits become legends. Their image becomes taller, stronger, grander, and their names carry them on down through history, preserving their glory for generations.

In such matters, a hero's name is as much if not more important than the deeds of valor. J.R.R. Tolkien, well aware of this fact, took great pains to ensure that his characters names fell within painstakingly-defined linguistic systems, often drafting a name several times before settling on the final name, even drafting nicknames. Indeed, some of the most recognizable and enduring characters in video game lore have benefited greatly from well chosen monikers - Mario and Luigi, Link, Donkey Kong, Lara Croft... whilst few people can instantly recall who was the main character in Super Metroid.

That said, it is only our greatest fortune that the soldiers of Wesnoth enjoy such carefully crafted names that are both logically sensical and easily pronounceable. Who among us hasn't played a game with a Floog, Gurflenurf, Zzrrzrzriizzizizzmzmzz, or Laiiui and thought "wow, that was exactly what I was going to name my kid"?

I know I have.

So anyway, here are the mighty tales of some of those mighty heroes:

The Tale of Glodd or Dear Glodd, What an Awful Name.
(Veliq vs. Kvinkunx)

After a fruitless attack, Veliq seemed to be fighting an uphill battle from very early on in this game.

Sensing the advantage, Kvinkunx pressed harder and harder each night, hoping to shut down those pesky humans, and it was working pretty well...

Until one fateful night...

Aftermath: Sadly, the arrival of Jackie Chan (another great name) wasn't enough to turn the tide against the orcs. Leader down!

The Legend of Prol or Prol-ly Shoulda Gone With a Different Name.
(Rigor vs. Tesafilmchen)

A first player night blitz on a small map vs. loyalists. Predictably, after an imperfect defense and a bad run of numbers, Tesa had much riding on the following day.

Tesafilmchen even took a turn with no movement leading up to the counterattack, intending a daytime strike at maximum strength.

One thing he didn't count on, however, was the strength of a young little gobo and its fuzzy fanged mount:

Aftermath: Sadly, Horsies come in pairs, and the wolf rider (wait a minute, is the wolf named that, or was it the rider? what's the wolf's name? how about 'Fang', should've just gone with that) did not live to see the triumph of his goblin fellows.

The Whimsical Adventures of He of Great Renown, Glun
(ian vs. Kvinkunx)

... and finally, the most heroic of them all:

The Tale of... "Grulg"?! Are you f-ing serious?

Sigh...

(Tesafilmchen vs. Kvinkunx)

This final hero was the most glorious of them all, for although many a would-be hero have perished after great feats, those that live to taste their glory shine far brighter.

This is not a tale of cleverness, or of might, or even impossible accuracy.

This is merely a tale of a little goblin that could:

That's it for this week! Tune in next time for Finals Recap and Tourney Wrap up.

Good luck to the remaining contenders! (and thanks to everyone who's participated so far for the great material!)
Last edited by Death on December 11th, 2009, 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kvinkunx

Re: Warnoth: MiniTourney ***FINAL ROUND***

Post by Kvinkunx »

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Cool review!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omfg how great !!!!!!!! i have laughed so much plz death host another tournament !
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

Samus Aran is the name, btw.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Death wrote:Note: I'm still interested in seeing the full Shotgun_Crocodile/Cackfiend replay. If any Wesnoth hackers are knowledgeable enough to fix it (if that's even possible) please assist!
*Yogibear Possible steps in*

Ask and thou shalt be given. For the glorious reminiscience of true wesnoth heroes, here is the full tale of the grim fight between Shogu-Croc, leader of the most fearsome orcish hordes and Cacfindus, elite human commander.

Watch this mercyless fight and take your hat off in admiration of true bravery. And beware, this is not suited for tender minds :shock: (legal age >14 :wink: ).

Have fun :) .
2p_-_Fallenstar_Lake-Auto-Save28.zip
Shotgun_Crocodile (Northerners) vs Cackfiend (Loys) on Fallenstar Lake
(56.33 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

says this data is defect on 1.6.1