Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest! UPDATED

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quetzalcoatl

Re: Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest!

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I wanted to post this one earlier, but made changes lately and didn't had replay :/
Thx to all people who helped me with this one with feedback or just by playing (wont give names not to miss anyone).
Well my plan was to make map for fast and intense games with easy side switching and action all the time, attack direction is counter clockwise.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Serpent_Ford.zip
(25.35 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

is there a way to open a map made with 1.7.7 map editor on Wesnoth 1.6.5?

It will be easier for me to have some replays on stable branch....
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i just played 3 games, so here are 3 replays (not too long ones).

i really really like ur unconventional map.

making the decision where to go at the start is a good change!

ill just post the replays to give u a feedback, not because im super proud of them because my opponents didnt take ur map very seriously. turn 8,10,13 wtf :D

i hope ill play it with some1 serious next time, best wishes!

R
Attachments
2p_-_Two_is_a_crowd_Turn_13_(10161).gz
(13.15 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
2p_-_Two_is_a_crowd_Turn_10_(10108).gz
(10.86 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
2p_-_Two_is_a_crowd_Turn_8_(10137).gz
(9.05 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
tsr

Post by tsr »

Rigor wrote:i just played 3 games, so here are 3 replays (not too long ones).

i really really like ur unconventional map.

making the decision where to go at the start is a good change!

ill just post the replays to give u a feedback, not because im super proud of them because my opponents didnt take ur map very seriously. turn 8,10,13 wtf :D

i hope ill play it with some1 serious next time, best wishes!

R
Thanks Rigor! Any replay is welcome, if not to just see how people decide where to go ;)

To the judges: am I allowed to change the map up until december 1st? Or do I have to wait for the edit-window in late december?

/tsr
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Wintermute wrote:
Sapient wrote:Do collaborations between two mapmakers count?
I'd like to submit my slightly modified version of a map by Jelly the Mad Dog (assuming he doesn't mind).
Sure! As long as all (current) authors are credited, notified, and OK with the submission.
Ok, I got a PM from Jelly_the_Mad_Dog and he has signalled he is OK for this submission.
Credit is in the CFG file.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

another one on ur map, just say stop if u think its enough
Attachments
2p_-_Two_is_a_crowd-Autospeichern10.gz
lanzalot
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Rya

Post by Rya »

-Maps must be Human vs. Human. No AI sides allowed.
Boo.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
grrr

Post by grrr »

Rya wrote:
-Maps must be Human vs. Human. No AI sides allowed.
Boo.
I don't think you should take this too strictly. Because if you did, maps like CotB and Sulla's would not be allowed in this contest.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

grrr wrote:
Rya wrote: Boo.
I don't think you should take this too strictly. Because if you did, maps like CotB and Sulla's would not be allowed in this contest.
Wilderlands is an example of a mainline map that has an active AI side. It also breaks the "no wandering monsters in mainline MP" FPI.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Rya

Post by Rya »

Well as someone who only makes "Coop Player vs AI" maps the contest doesn't really fit to me, even if the rules aren't taken 'strictly'.

It's just sad that it gets limited to balanced MP human vs. human maps because I don't see a good reason why coop vs ai maps shouldn't be included in official wesnoth.

I understand that the way they are rated won't really fit, though ("balance" in a vs CPU map would mean that the CPU has enough advantages that the map is challenging for players and whether the player sides all have the same amount of villages doesn't even matter, in what it could be part of the map's intention that one weaker player needs to be defended while the other have enough villages to survive themselves). It was just that I read about the content ingame and was like "Hey maybe I can submit the MP scenarios I made lately" and then I read that it is limited to Human vs. Human maps and "Boo" was basically the first thought I had.
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Rya wrote: It's just sad that it gets limited to balanced MP human vs. human maps because I don't see a good reason why coop vs ai maps shouldn't be included in official wesnoth.
What do you consider Dark Forecast?

Whatever the FPI says/said, I don't think we're opposed to adding that sort of thing to mainline, and already have added things like the above.

As for this particular tournament, let's keep it simple, as it's the first time we've tried this. If you don't like the rules, this is not the tournament for you.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Rya

Post by Rya »

Yeah Dark Forecast is something special, but also the only map of that type and it's also a survival scenario and not really a co-op one (well both).

What is the FPI? First person involved?
As for this particular tournament, let's keep it simple, as it's the first time we've tried this. If you don't like the rules, this is not the tournament for you.
Well I didn't say anything else.

So this is the first map contest?
Wesnoth
The developer says "no".
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

FPI: Frequently proposed ideas, look at the stickies in the ideas forum. These are ideas that have shown up frequently but are never going to be implemented. The list is missing a few at the moment but it covers most of them.

You cannot say that dark forcast isn't co-operative. It just isn't what you do.

This is the first map contest.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

tsr wrote: To the judges: am I allowed to change the map up until december 1st? Or do I have to wait for the edit-window in late december?

/tsr
Certainly go ahead and improve things to your heart's content. Dec 1st is the cutoff, and we will then take a look at what has been submitted, and see who goes to the next round. The goal of this enterprise is to motivate the community's many talented mapmakers, so go ahead and polish up your stuff!
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
tsr

Post by tsr »

Wintermute wrote:
tsr wrote: To the judges: am I allowed to change the map up until december 1st? Or do I have to wait for the edit-window in late december?

/tsr
Certainly go ahead and improve things to your heart's content. Dec 1st is the cutoff, and we will then take a look at what has been submitted, and see who goes to the next round. The goal of this enterprise is to motivate the community's many talented mapmakers, so go ahead and polish up your stuff!
Ok, good to know, so for everyone playtesting this map (and I am looking at you Rigor ;)) there is a new thread in town...

/tsr