Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest! UPDATED

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

siddh

Re: Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest!

Post by siddh »

Rigor wrote:siddh, it says error to me when i try to play ur map
really? It works for me. I downloaded the rar I uploaded here and used the file from it and it works.. I dont know much about WML so maybe there's some mistake, or making maps, not that a single map file could be very complicated... But it works for me so I dont know. Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

siddh wrote:
Rigor wrote:siddh, it says error to me when i try to play ur map
really? It works for me. I downloaded the rar I uploaded here and used the file from it and it works.. I dont know much about WML so maybe there's some mistake, or making maps, not that a single map file could be very complicated... But it works for me so I dont know. Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?
Trying to open a 1.7 map with 1.6?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
siddh

Post by siddh »

oh! I made the map with 1.6 I dont even have the dev version atm... so this contest is for 1.7? =D
silent

Post by silent »

oh did the map have to be designed in the 1.7 branch?
siddh

Post by siddh »

I made another map "Plateau" for the contest I think this one is a little better than the previous attempt, but oh well.. I guess there's plenty of balance issues and such still.

I also made a 4player version of the same map which I didnt really seriously change since the original map was rather large, well except for that there's 2 more villages. Also for the replay in the attachment, since then I changed the default gold from 100 to 150 in the 2player version so it's a bit outdated but since the difference is minor I thought it's not worthwhile to obtain a new replay just for that.. =)

Anyway the 4p verson is just a sidekick so if you've to decide which map participates in the contest or something it would be the 2p one, not that it's going to matter Im afraid =D
Attachments
plateau.rar
2p and 4p versions + 2p replay
(32.65 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I'l glad to see submissions continuing to roll in! :)

I wanted to make a few points/reminders.

Remember to read the rules post (first post in this thread).

All maps should be compatable with 1.7.8 (or thereabouts), because these maps will be expected to work with the newer versions of Wesnoth. Please try to make that happen, as it will make all of the judges happy - and that is something that you want. :wink:

Try to post about how you think the map plays, if you anticipate any possible balance issues, and such. This may help you decide "ah, I should change that" before (or after!) submitting and might improve your chances. If you can, post replays of test games *specifically trying to break or exploit any issues you are wondering about* or ask folks on the server to test it or help you test it. If you think about your map and decide that elves might be too good, but play some games with elves and it seems OK, that is the kind of info (in replay form) that is the kind of thought process that (hopefully!) will hone the community's collective map making skills.

just my thoughts of course. ;)
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

any idea when 1.7 is gonna become the official version of wesnoth?
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Cackfiend wrote:any idea when 1.7 is gonna become the official version of wesnoth?
When it becomes 1.8
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
siddh

Post by siddh »

I published the previously posted 1.6 maps as 1.7 maps into the add-on server so they can be downloaded from there... I also packed them into this .rar file now with the old 1.6 replays since I've not been able to find anyone with 1.7 to play them with me yet.. Well. I guess that's all.. Hope there's no more problems =)
Attachments
Siddhs_Maps.rar
2p plateau , 4p plateau , 2p scarred foothills , replays from 1.6
(56.67 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
siddh

Post by siddh »

here's a replay from plateau with 1.7
Attachments
plateau_siddh_vs_darthsmart.gz
replay
(19.26 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

Here's a 1vs1 (my first map). Very small, should be for quick games. Map thread is located here.

Edit: Updated with a 2vs2 version, which, I believe, is more fun than the 2p version.
Update: I also uploaded the map on the 1.7.8 (beta1) add-ons site, so whoever is interested can directly download it from there.
Attachments
Screenshot of the 2p version
Screenshot of the 2p version
4p_The_Haven.tar.gz
4p - The Haven (map and replay)
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
2p_The_Haven.tar.gz
(12.78 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Last edited by Chris7mas on November 22nd, 2009, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Hi. Imostly play 2v2 and 3v3 games. I like a lot waterloo, hexcake and manzivian traps, but if I have played some 3v3 in a row, I jus want new map for my next game. As I cant know when usual map developers will provide us with it, here is my attemp: Volcano. It´s a 3v3 map (west vs east) that represent the final battle after a violent eruption collapse a great kingdom and diverse factions fight to control its ashes.

I have no idea how to get a screenshot, so if anyone is so nice to get and post it, thanks! :D

My first test were with 100 gold per player and the flow of game seemed like I was looking for. Violent action about turn 5 due to easy attacks fronts counterclockwise. In most of games victory was sure about turn 10. Very difficult or impossible village stealing on turns 2 and 3. Recruits are slowed a little by terrain, so players have time to settle their front more or less in turn 4. I didnt play too many games, but factions seemed balanced and also terrain. Center of the map had very low importance in all games and seemed to prove central player must quickly spread his units to help in flanks. As I am not a pro and most of games were played with random skill level players, all about writed could be nonsenses.

Anyway, the size of the front looked like needed more units, so I test the same map with 150 gold per side. The flow of the game changed. Now an orc could overpopulated their front in defensive flank making a 5 turn attack not very profitable, conservate his territory including the extra village of his flank and even start an attack. Also (perhaps is just a map problem, but I only noticed it with 150 gold) now a drake player in center position could spread his units very fast to flanks, giving a great adventage to his team in most north and south villages and following attacks. So I think the right amount of gold for this map would be 125, but I had no tested it.

I am sure this map can still be improved a lot, so if anyone want take it and make his own version, go ahead. I really want a new 3v3 map that most of 3v3 usal players want to play. and sorry my english, it dont reach for more :(
Attachments
Volcano150gold_replays.rar
(64.21 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
VolcanoReplays_100gold.rar
(97.91 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Volcano(map&cfg).rar
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
lancebramsay

Post by lancebramsay »

Can I submit three maps?

and will there be just one winner or will there be several categories to win? Examples of categories being number of players on a map or map size.

-LaZrO
Last edited by lancebramsay on November 20th, 2009, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

lancebramsay wrote:Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to the whole map design process in Wesnoth but I consider myself pretty tech savvy. Took me a bit to figure out the whole .cfg portion of the process but once I found where they were it was smooth sailing from there.

My map offers a two very strategic options, either you can head towards the mountains and attempt to hold strong there, or you can head for the middle and attempt to flank your enemy. Played through this quite a few times, made some tweaking (it seemed that Dwarfs were too powerful and Elves were too weak). I removed some mountains and added in a few more forests. Everything seemed to balance itself out quite nicely and the map makes for some very epic battles.

If anyone would like to give this a run through that would be great. Any pointers or constructive criticism is appreciated.

-LaZrO

*Note* The first replay is my choice to show the strengths of the map. The second shows the minor map changes I made. The changes aren't really huge but they make a small difference.
Heartbreak Ridge.jpg
Heartbreak Ridge.zip
We've been spending most our lives living in a Drakeish paradise.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
ps7

Post by ps7 »

Hi,here is my entry map.

・As map title say, main concept is "center provide different path for each race" so I attached simple "How to play" here.
・Map is perfectly symmetrical and P2 start with 1 flagged village.
・I tested much and have more replays if needed(Unfortunately most opponents was bad).

---------------------------------How to play-----------------------------------------------------------
<Loyalist>
・Since their horse is slowed by forest and cave, fencer or any quick infantry is better if you use center path.
・In exchange for little disadvantage of using center, you can get advantage by threatening water village with fish(Loyalist have best fish) especially opponent don't have fish.

<Drakes>
・Drakes can use their mobility as usual but slowed especially by cave.
・Saurians(especially skirmishers) are very good on cave but slowed by forests around cave and they can't enter deepwater.
・Not having water village holder can be a little nasty for them but not critical.

<Rebels>
・They are simple, elves can move quickly arround cave and horrible on cave(cave-path is OK).
・You will need a fish on most matchup.
・Notice that your opponent can block your path by holding forest.

<Knalgan>
・Dwarves can go through both forest and cave well,so parking a dwarf on cave is good idea.
・Having a bird is strongly recommended especially your opponent threaten your water village byfish.

<Northerners>
・They are "average" on center and grunt rush is good idea as usual.
・Since only troll can advance caves well, parking one troll on cave is not bad idea, and having naga is also good option.

<Undead>
・Their infantry is slow especially on center, but ghost will complement it by scouting,blocking,and trapping on center(though bat also good, I recommend ghost here).
・Some deepwater give skeletons go across or hide option.
Weird Passages.jpg
Weird Passages.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
Attachments
2p-Weird Elf vs Dwarf.gz
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
2p_Weird_Passages.cfg
(819 Bytes) Downloaded 256 times
2p_Weird_Passages.map
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 287 times