Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest! UPDATED

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Des

Re: Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest!

Post by Des »

Unless I'm missing something, December 1st due date means entries can be submitted on December 1st.

I won't be able to get mine up until later on tonight (U.S. Eastern). Hope that's okay.
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Des

Post by Des »

Actually, I am going to need someone to playtest my map with. If anyone would be so kind as to volunteer, I'll be on the 1.7.9 server from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m (Eastern Time).

My map is a beefed version of 1v1 Clash (link found in signature).

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

There were so many good maps that it was difficult to make this choice. Thanks for all the great submissions. Please understand there was a lot of great competition, so if your map didn't get chosen, don't despair. Keep working at it for next time.

There can be only one winner, but in the spirit of keeping new maps alive we'll try to put together a map pack that includes all the finalists.

Without further ado, here is the short list of finalists in no particular order.
finalists:
We're going to open things up to the community now for all kinds of feedback. We'll include our thoughts as well of course. Now is the time for authors to tweak their maps before a final winner is announced.

*Honorable mention to Ezysquire's Azgart map, which we liked a lot. I've already explained to him why his map didn't make the final cut.

cheers!
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Nagi

Re: Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest! UPDATED

Post by Nagi »

darn i hoped my map to be in the list.

Where did some of the maps come as i dont remember seeing them in this tread, or did i miss something.
Des

Post by Des »

Nagi wrote:darn i hoped my map to be in the list.
Same...looks like back to the drawing board.

Does everyone get feedback for their maps, or just the one's that advance to the next round?

Congrats to the winners.

lancebramsay

Post by lancebramsay »

I was waiting for the results of the first round like a small child waiting for Christmas morning the night before. Sad to see that I didn't make the cut but I am confident in the judges decisions. Back to the drawing board or map editor that is.

Thank you to all the judges participating in this contest. Your countless hours of hard work and dedication is what makes Wesnoth truly great. I know that this is your free time and I appreciate what you are doing. The best of luck to all of you and keep up the fantastic work.

Special thanks to Doc Patterson for actively participating in this thread as well as providing me with critiques for my map.

On another note, will we be seeing a contest like this again? Any idea on when we will see one?
-LaZrO-

Amaranthine|Map
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

lancebramsay wrote: On another note, will we be seeing a contest like this again? Any idea on when we will see one?
We will definitely be doing this again, though perhaps not too soon, as I think our judges (myself included) came very close to burnout trying to meet the deadline. Perhaps in a few months? We'll let you all know.

I'll definitely try to do some extensive feedback for those maps that are advancing, and if I get the chance over the course of the next few weeks, will also try to help those whose maps didn't qualify, if they want input. Today is all about house-cleaning for a big party though, so unless any of you are planning on stopping by, I'll have to talk to you about your map some other day in the very near future. ;)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Thanks to all judges for his work, wesnoth comunity will be always in debt for it. I would have becomed mad trying to judge so many maps in just a few days. Special thanks to jb for his help with cfg file.

I dont know if the maps were played and if replays are saved, but if anyone is available I would like to see them all. They would be a lot of help for map dessigners and more important, I am sure they will be fun.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Seeing as I snuck into the competition at the last minute, I thought I might as well leave the files for my concept map here. Any help testing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
4p_Chilled_Caves.zip
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
(On a side note, how long do I have to tweak the map? I hate to say this, but a second due date would really help me.)

Congrads to other finalists, I'd also like to thank the judges personally for their time spent on this contest, I think it's a great way to encourage and expand the wesnothian art of cartography. :D
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

We're going to open things up to the community now for all kinds of feedback. We'll include our thoughts as well of course. Now is the time for authors to tweak their maps before a final winner is announced.
Hey, wow. I didn't notice this post somehow. I feel very honored that the map I collaborated on with Jelly_The_Mad_Dog was chosen to enter the final round. I've made several attempts at unusual concept maps but I never was satisfied with the balance on any of them. So, to get this far gives me a very pleasant feeling.

I am looking forward to hearing any feedback you might have, especially from the judges, whether it be specific points or just general feelings about how the map plays.

Thanks for the contest; it was a good motivator for many of us, apparently. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Is it allowed to have ai side with petrified units only? I would like to add statue to my map.
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

If you want the name and portrait appear, like in caves of the basilisk, you can't avoid an AI side. But if it's just a nameless statue you may not need one : the following code

Code: Select all

[item]
        x=20
        y=25
        image="units/elves-wood/sharpshooter+female-bow-attack3.png~GS()"
    [/item]
for instance, places a black&white image of the female elf sharpshooter in aiming stance, at the 20,25 coordinates.
In case you use that second method, you'll probably want to put an impassable layer on that hex with the editor.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Sapient wrote:
Hey, wow. I didn't notice this post somehow.
They simply edited the old post instead of double-posting, so nobody found it.
(Hint: If you have something to announce, delete the old post and post a new one instead. Or simply double-post.)
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

krotop wrote:If you want the name and portrait appear, like in caves of the basilisk, you can't avoid an AI side. But if it's just a nameless statue you may not need one : the following code

Code: Select all

[item]
        x=20
        y=25
        image="units/elves-wood/sharpshooter+female-bow-attack3.png~GS()"
    [/item]
for instance, places a black&white image of the female elf sharpshooter in aiming stance, at the 20,25 coordinates.
In case you use that second method, you'll probably want to put an impassable layer on that hex with the editor.
Thank You. It fits my needs even better because i can select other frames :)
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm heading into a real busy time of the year and may not have time for a while.

I've chatted with several of you on-line about different things I think would help your map. Others with have to be more patient.

cheers
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty