Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Araja

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Araja »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Grow Trees currently always creates evergreen forests. I intend to make this more nuanced in the future.
Good to hear :)

When I said I couldn't find a good use for the era I meant in general, not just the RPG. While it does spice up a fight considerably, I always feel like I'm only touching upon what it could really do...Sampling, if you will.

Wait, the RPG era in a survival map? That sounds awesome :P
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Reanimating touch perhaps works a little too well on enemy leaders. When a reanimated leader gains a level, I gain picks, and they appear to be valid sources for spell casting so they also work as range extensions.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yeah, this was a bug. It'll be fixed in the next release, hopefully out today or tomorrow.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS v0.4.5 released.

- Reduced leaders' melee damage by 1. I haven't been liking how much damage they do on counterattack with the increased swings (which are necessary so that the touch spells don't suck.) Also makes Wizard Sword for leaders more worthwhile.
- Speaking of touch spells, fixed the obvious bug with the dummy weapon specials. :oops:
- Speaking of buggy spells, fixed the whole reanimating-an-enemy-leader thing. I actually separated out a lot of the wizards' abilities from each other, so now I have the reanimated enemy leaders retain their ability to block damage spells and stop damaging attacks, but lose their ability to cast spells, but then...
- Added a system for spellcasting by proxy. You can now cast spells from reanimated enemy leaders, but it's still always your real leader casting the spells. Also, made compatibility with my High Seas engine: A wizard on your ship can cast spells onto the main map from the ship location.
- Dispelling Touch no longer works on units in Circles of Protection.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.4.6 released.

- The game now will give you a warning if you try to cast an attack spell at yourself. (You're still allowed to do it, but it gives newbies an option to cancel out of fireballing themselves and stuff.)
- Lightning Bolt can no longer be cast at the same enemy two turns in a row. On the other hand, it now completely disables their attacks - both on their own turn and for retaliation before their turn. Wizards can still cast spells while paralyzed, but now can't attack.
- Fissure now turns water tiles into deep water instead of chasm, as a quick fix to the fact that it's now way too good against Sea Serpents.
- Players that start with 500 gold or more now default to starting with 12 picks instead of 10, because players with huge gold and only 10 picks play rather strangely (in a bad way.) EoHS gameplay still doesn't work very well with huge amounts of gold, but this'll make it a bit less awful.
- Grow Trees now creates trees similar to the types already on the map near where you cast it, always creates tropical forest on savanna and sand, and has been cleaned up a little in general.
- Meteor Storm should be noticeably less laggy now.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS v0.5.0 released. There have been major rewrites.

Internal changes:
- Separated almost everything from "Is a wizard leader" into different abilities. Specifically, you can now have arbitrarily many spellcasters on one side, all with different skills. Summoned units now share XP with the unit that summoned them, rather than with "the leader on their side". Picks for a kill are given to the caster that owns the killing unit (summons are owned by their summoner, wizards are owned by themselves, and recruits are owned by the unit that recruited them.) Specifically, Reanimating Touch used on an enemy leader now raises them with their full powers and abilities - although they still count as a summoned unit belonging to your own leader, and therefore share XP with you (including the XP they receive from their own summons! including summons from before they were reanimated!)
- Rewrote EOHS_FULL_KILL. This doesn't have any visible effects, but the new version is coded much more cleanly, so this will hopefully fix the tenacious bugs when units die to Dark Pact.

Gameplay changes:
- Wizards no longer have the constant fireball attack of the Red Mage, or the Red Mage's fire resistance. Instead, attacks and resistances are based on your skills. You gain a different type of attack at level 1 of each realm, and it increases in power up to realm level 4, and also increases with your unit level. You also gain resistance per realm skill per level, up to realm skill level 5 (which gets you 10% resistance per level.) None of these changes apply to player Liches.
- Nature wizards also get many more terrain movement cost bonuses at different levels.
- New experimental Nature spell: Flood. Basically Grow Trees except with shallow water instead of trees. I don't know if I actually want this spell, but I want to see what strategies it creates...
- Fireball's damage has been adjusted again (it's slightly less.) Energy Bolt now does Arcane damage.
- Necromancers can no longer recruit Ghosts, but can summon them for 16 gold at level 3.
- To make up for the increased availability of arcane and cold damage, Drake Fighters have been renamed Arctic Drakes, tinted blue, and given 20% cold and arcane resistance.
- Many Nature summons and spells have had their prices reduced.
- Dark Pact is now a level 4 spell.
- Reanimating Touch is now a level 6 spell.
- The hokey Chocobone advancement has been removed.

On-map graphical changes:
- Casters now have a little animation (they raise their staffs) when casting spells.
- Many spells have new animations: Lightning Bolt, Energy Bolt, Fireball, Meteor Storm, and Corridor of Frost.
- There's now a horrible little flying animation for wizards who are standing on chasm or deep water.
- Player Liches no longer have Submerge, to avoid clogging the right sidebar. (You can still gain it from Devour Soul, but at least that way it will appear after the wizard ability.)
- Poisoned hexes are now tinted green as well as having a poison potion drawn on them.
- Reanimated units are now recolored to a more dull blue-grayish color instead of having an overlay drawn on them.

UI changes:
- The random picker now allows you to re-roll any number of times if you happen to dislike the picks it gives you.
- Because of the internal changes, you can now only pick "Train your magical skills" on the hex of the specific unit you're training (usually your leader.)

(Known) bug fixes:
- Devour Soul no longer steals dummy abilities.
- Wizards struck by a Water Serpent at night are now poisoned like they're supposed to be.
- Lightning paralysis is no longer buggy when attacks are added or removed while a unit is paralyzed.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.5.1 released.

- Added code manually preventing you from casting a spell during another spell effect by (accidentally) exploiting bug 16171. This might have been the cause of a lot of EoHS's out-of-sync problems. It's still possible to move and attack during a spell effect if you try hard. (Don't do it. It causes out-of-sync errors. The bug should be fixed in 1.8.3.)
- AMLA no longer costs the default amount. It now costs (Arch Mage -> Great Mage) cost times 3/2 for the first ALMA, 4/2 for the second AMLA, 5/2 for the third, and so on. This should prevent most of the kind of power-tripping that currently goes on when someone (especially a Lich) hits L4.
- Speaking of L4 Liches and power trips, the L13 necro spell now has a limited number of times it can be cast per turn: 1/3 your Necromancy level.
- The Fissure spell has been drastically altered: It now has a 1-turn delay before taking effect, and its cost has been reduced to 12.
- Dark Pact no longer refuses to take hit points from your leader (unless your leader has its own Dark Pact, of course.) Beware!
- Devour Soul no longer gives you multiple copies of the same attack, although it still does give you multiple copies when the attacks differ in any way (for instance, you can have both strong and non-strong versions of bat fangs.)
- Lightning Bolt's cost has been increased from 14 to 20.
- Tailwind has been removed.
- The Circle of Protection image has been made smaller to reduce confusion regarding the surrounding hexes.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.5.2 released.

- GRYPHON RIDING WIZARDS
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.5.3 released.

- The requirement for riding a creature is now that creature's summon level plus 2, instead of a constant L6 nature (so you can ride Wolves a 3, Serpents at 8, and Gryphons at 10.) The minimum is nature-3 to have the spell at all.
- You can now ride Fire Dragons, too (but only with Evoc-13 AND Nature-3).
- Riding a creature now gives you its defenses as well as its attacks/moves/movement costs.
- The graphics are now correct for undead riders and/or undead mounts. It still doesn't update if you reanimate a wizard who's currently riding some creature... I'll fix that when I can
- There's an easter egg with riding now, but I won't tell you what it is. :P
- The can't-cast messages now appear directly in the spell list, to make them more obvious. The system of attempting to cast the spell before it would tell you why you couldn't was not intuitive.
- The level effect descriptions on the training screen are now auto-generated. Never again will I forget to change a spell's listed level when I change its actual level.
- Poison Ground now doesn't work on chasm or lava hexes, and casting Fissure on a hex removes the poison.
- There was a major OOS bug when you started the game with an AI player in it, and I think I might have fixed that.
Elvish_Pillager

EoHS 0.5.4 released. Nothing much new.

- Reduced Necromancers' ranged damage per strike, so that they aren't quite as devastating against enemy leaders.
- Removed the AI hack that was causing OOS in any game that began with an AI in it. The AI will not train skills anymore.
- Flood now sinks fords to shallow water and makes castles into sunken castles.
- Fixed several bugs with monster-riding wizards.
- Allowed Devour Soul to grant Feeding. (This had previously been impossible because Feeding isn't a real ability, just a dummy ability plus an event. I made my own dummy ability and event to allow this.)
- Implemented an excellent debug mode to help me debug things. It has much more flexibility than the standard debug mode, but the main advantage is that I can use it in networked games. (Don't worry, it announces when I turn it on - I can't use this to cheat at MP :p)
Araja

Post by Araja »

Oddly enough, I always thought you should have some kind of superpower when you join matches. Defaldor status :wink:
ElvenKing

Post by ElvenKing »

There seems to be a bug which causes the game to freeze if you level up a leader who is riding. In two games I played with telomere where he levelled his riding leader the game froze. Since it was only riding leaders that I'd ever seen this happen, I opened a local game and tried to level a riding leader, and sure enough it froze. Then I reloaded the game from a previous and tried levelling the leader after dismounting and it worked fine.

This is probably not a totally comprehensive test, but I thought I should mention it.
"if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do."
Angel- Angel the Series

"Sore thumbs. Do they stick out? I mean, have you ever seen a thumb and gone 'wow, that baby is sore'?"
Willow Rosenberg- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Elvish_Pillager

I have fixed this bug. Advancing riding leaders will work in the next version.

Simply storing and unstoring a unit should never change the unit, but it does, because the advance= key in [unstore_unit] defaults to "yes". It should default to "no". Even any use of the stock {MODIFY_UNIT} macro in an advance event will cause this bug.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Bug: reanimated leaders can recruit, but not their own recruits, only yours.

You can also ride reanimated riding units (sorry if that was the easter egg and I gave it away) if you have the appropriate nature level.
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

Spell suggestion: Opposite of "Corrupt Ground" - "Bless Ground" would make similar ground effect as Corrupting it, but it would only harm undead, note, only harm, as it would be too powerful otherwise. Dispelling touch would dispell it, just like corrupt. And when Bless and Corrupt hit same tile, they neutralize eachother, creating normal tile. Like the idea?

EDIT: Moving wizard riding gryphon above deep water makes that silly floating effect. Would look nicer if that gets fixed.
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.