3P Campaign: The Haunted Woods v1.7.0 [Complete]

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MrEPIC

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.9)

Post by MrEPIC »

Dusk wrote:
MrEPIC wrote:My 10 year old sister made most of these maps, so...
I thought you were the one who approved them?
Perhaps we should keep this discussion off this thread.
Last edited by MrEPIC on October 17th, 2009, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 player co-op campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.6.19)
1v1 campaign: Tug of War (v0.4.0)
MrEPIC

v1.2.20 released!

Post by MrEPIC »

Major version 1.2.20 has been released. The 20 shows that it now has an added branch. For a brief list of changes, read the changelog on the first page.

Get it now!
Dusk

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (New! v1.2.20)

Post by Dusk »

I am also currently changing some of the dialogue. Ford of Abez, Escape to the Caves, and The Mission are all good to go. I'm still working on the others.
"The one that kills is not always the one that lives."
MrEPIC

Re: Multiplayer Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.21)

Post by MrEPIC »

Quick update, seeing as the last update to the campaign was nearly a month ago:
Due to the amount of homework I have from school, I can barely find any time to work on this. Sorry about this, but I will try my best to find time during our 5-day Thanksgiving break (unless homework gets piled on us). However, in the meantime, I have ported the add-on to the 1.8 server, so you can get it from there also.
Once more, I want to remind everyone that although I temporarily will not be able to put in major updates to the campaign, if you have a request, or if you discover a bug, then tell me and I'll try my best to implement the necessary changes. Also, feedback is always welcome.

Another update (11/28): I am sorry to everyone for this lengthy delay, but I was loaded down with several projects to do for school this Thanksgiving, so I couldn't get around to adding anything to the campaign. Furthermore, with finals only a few weeks from now, I'm not sure if I will be able to make anything new until then. Once more, I encourage feedback and suggestions for improvement and balancing. Please tell me how you're doing so that I can adjust difficulty. I have noticed that an issue with the shops in this campaign is that units can become very strong after a few scenarios, so I'm thinking of implementing an upgrade limit.
Anyways, I hope that everyone had a joyous Thanksgiving and thanks to those who have downloaded and tried out this add-on. Finally, to re-iterate, do post feedback and opinions on this add-on, it would be much appreciated, and most of all, have fun!

EDIT: Oops, sorry about the double post.
MrEPIC

Re: 3-player Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.22)

Post by MrEPIC »

Yay, I finally got around to working on this a little bit. I have put in an upgrade limit of 8 (10 for leaders), so units cannot become too powerful. Leaders also now get to level up by their regular experience requirements. Hopefully, this will help to balance it a bit so you don't end up have 1 extremely powerful unit running around the battlefield slaying everyone he touches. Changelog is updated on the first page, and I would greatly appreciate it if people post their thoughts on this campaign and suggestions for improvement here.
MrEPIC

Re: MP Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.2.25)

Post by MrEPIC »

Fairly big update: v1.2.25 (Soon will be 1.3...Finally!)
This version adds the feature of being playable with less than 3 players, as a 2 player or 1 player campaign. Before, this could also be done, but no difficulty adjustments would be made, which makes the campaign almost impossible with less than 3 players.
Now, when less than 3 players are present, gold is added to each player to make up for the fewer players. Also, in events where a unit is given to a side, if that side is not present, then the unit is given to the first side controlled by a player. For example, if, such as in the second scenario, an Elvish Fighter is supposed to be given to Fioril (side 1, elves), and Fioril is not present, the the Fighter is given to Aigatus (side 2, dwarves) if he is present, or Cariddry (side 3, humans) if Aigatus is not present either.

Finally, I have a question: I have seen many people from all over the world playing this, and some do not speak English (fluently), which makes it difficult to understand the plot (and humor) of this campaign. How would I make this campaign translatable, and how could I send it to translators?
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Nice work on the updates, you've put a lot of work into this mp campaign.

I'll try to make some time over the holiday to play the updated version and give some feedback, as I see you've gotten very little so far.

To all the World Conquest players out there looking for a change of pace, this is an excellent 3player campaign that is worth your time. I'm sure MrEpic would love to hear people's thoughts to help make improvements.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

I have started this campaign a few times, and really enjoyed the options. There are lots of fun choices. Good work. :)
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
MrEPIC

Re: MP Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.3.0)

Post by MrEPIC »

Thanks for the compliments, jb and Wintermute.
I've released v1.3.0 (meaning the 13th scenario) now. Go get it from the addons server!
Also, Merry Christmas everybody! I hope everybody passes the holidays joyously and safely.
popsch

Post by popsch »

Hi,

Can you please also update it for v1.8? It's still 1.2.23 for v1.8 (http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.8/)

Thanks.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

popsch wrote:Hi,

Can you please also update it for v1.8? It's still 1.2.23 for v1.8 (http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/1.8/)

Thanks.
I just uploaded v1.3.0 to the 1.8 addons server.
MrEPIC

Re: MP Campaign: The Haunted Woods (v1.4.0) for 1.6 and 1.8

Post by MrEPIC »

I just released scenario 14 onto the addons server, along with many other changes. One of the most important among these was that I overlooked the fact that [store_unit] also stores units in the recall list, which meant that the campaign thought that more than 3 people were playing it. A notable change in scenario 14 is that depending on the difficulty, villages are removed, and on the hardest difficulty there are no villages. This means that it is important to have high-level units by this time, because otherwise it will be hard to put together enough power to defeat the enemies.
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

Congratulations for your campaign, I am eager to try it. So far I used it mainly for debuging purpose as I am also porting a MP campaign to 1.8. From the tests so far, you'd need to put some:

Code: Select all

unrenamable=yes
Trying "features", I discovered that renaming your leader bugs the game when advancing to the next scenario.

Keep up the good work.
MrEPIC

Post by MrEPIC »

Natasiel wrote:Congratulations for your campaign, I am eager to try it. So far I used it mainly for debuging purpose as I am also porting a MP campaign to 1.8. From the tests so far, you'd need to put some:

Code: Select all

unrenamable=yes
Trying "features", I discovered that renaming your leader bugs the game when advancing to the next scenario.

Keep up the good work.
Are you using Wesnoth 1.8 or 1.6? I haven't tested 1.8 as much as I have 1.6, mainly I just made sure that everything works. I've renamed my leader before while testing it, but I haven't noticed any bugs occurring, at least not in 1.6. Could you give more details on how to produce this bug and what it is?
Thanks, and have fun!
Natasiel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Natasiel »

It is on 1.7.12+svn.
In the first scenario, buy your upgrades then rename Fioril to something else.
On the next scenario, your ranger got a random name and lost his upgrades.

Though the bug seems in the MP campaign engine and there are people working on it right now.

Sorry for the noise, still I'm eager to play your campaign later on. :)