Modern Combat: 1.0.1 Released!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

A Guy

Re: Modern Combat

Post by A Guy »

It will be designed for 1.6.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

could we, in later versions, have teleporters between the most eastern side and most western side to stimulate roundness?
melinath

Post by melinath »

You don't need teleporters. You just need two moveto events.
[fakecode]
if x=max_x {teleport (max_x,y1) (min_x,y1)}
[/fakecode]
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

besides that, that was the first thing that was coded. So yes, we weren't stupid enough to make a flat planet.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
melinath

Post by melinath »

How do you deal with the poles? Is the world a sphere or a cylinder?
mukablo

Post by mukablo »

A_Guy . . . . just curious how the silo coding is coming along . . ??

Is it possible to see a replay game of Modern Combat? or a picture of gameplay? or some of the units to see what they look like? thanks

Fixed for you. -Turuk
PsychoticKittens

melinath: Its a cylinder. You can't go from pole to pole because that would be true teleportation. You can't get to Antartica at all though. Deep water is pretty much impassable nothing can cross over it (to funnel combat and prevent people from artillery attacking leaders in the bottom of the map).

Mukablo: Its only been played two times with more than one person, and that was early production. I can on the other hand, show off afew of the unit images (although forum won't accept boats becuase of file size) Also, you should edit your first post instead of multi-posting next time (using the edit button at the bottom when you're logged in)

Heres 3 Images, The Sniper, Light Tank, and Chopper. Also my avatar is the basic Infantry.

If you're wondering what the sniper is wearing, it's a Ghillie Suit. They're sneaky li'l buggers.
Attachments
Chopper
Chopper
chopper.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
Light Tank
Light Tank
lighttank.png (8.8 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
Sniper
Sniper
sniper.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
mukablo

Post by mukablo »

Have you played this game with AI computer players and do they know inteligently how to use all that Modern Combat has to offer? Or is this being developed for human vs. human only? thanks
ps. thanks for the sneak peak at a few of the units. They look Great!
PsychoticKittens

The AI isn't compatable with this. They lose out first turn since they can't pick villages and get their first units. They also have no idea how to recruit so if you give them a side for a player that left they'll only have what the player recruited no more. Once Real Ranged is added they'll be even less compatable since they dunno how to use that either. and they don't know how to teleport from side to side or load units into boats so they can't get from NA and SA to the other 5 continents unless they have alot of air units, and then they can't capture villages.

In general its better to have people who will play the whole way through, or that you can save and reload with. This is made for people with alot of time, that play wesnoth alot, and are patient enough to wait their turn for long periods of time. Its got its ups and downs.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

y don't u just make void tiles (the nothing ones, not the chasm ones) and make them look like deep water? it's been done in 3 ways to die but with void that looks like chasm
PsychoticKittens

because its just as easy to give the units the inability to move on deep water, which then also funnels combat to make naval fighting better.
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

PsychoticKittens wrote: Alliances temporarily team you up with another player, no problems from ZoC, help from friendly abilities, and some form of teamwork. Unfortunatly for people who want to win by alliance, if your alliance is the last group of players left it will be auto-disbanded and you'll be forced to fight eachother.
:shock: That's just so.... barbaric and boring... Alliance-winning is fun, and from experience from the diplomacy feature in WesCiv (you can make alliances with players in it too) I have found that experienced players tend to form even teams anyway.

I would personally just stop the game there if me and my ally defeated the enemy and then had to fight each other...
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
PsychoticKittens

That was changed, its now that you can only team up with one other player permanently. I don't much like that though, since if you're gonna try to rule the world you should rule the world, not share it. "Modern Combat" not "Modern Peace"
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

Well of course, no one would play it without combat.

I don't understand. If players are on teams they are still fighting the OTHER team. How does that take out the combat? That should be enough fighting for one game.

You could just make an option at the beginning of the game that lets the first player choose to allow alliances or not since you don't like team games.
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
PsychoticKittens

I didn't say I don't like team games, I just said that it doesn't fit the "World Domination" idea. I got voted out of that though.