Modern Combat: 1.0.1 Released!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PsychoticKittens

Re: Modern Combat

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Turuk knows ALL.

Except when this will be released, nobody knows that. :P
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Speaking of which, when are you going to continue the Western Era? After this, or what?
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Guess who knows?

The Western Era is on hold, as his irritation over work lost due to computer issues means that PK was much more interested in moving this collaborative project forward for the time being. He may return to it at some point when he has the time or the inclination, but right now he is going to work on getting this UMC working properly.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
PsychoticKittens

Its more or less because I don't feel like spending so much effort drawing those things. They take me hours to draw each one~ Drawing these took me much less, so it didn't put such a hassle on my will to work. :eng:

But that's off topic! :augh:

This does have its own subsequent era, obviously, and it has art (not my best, but art nonetheless) and sound effects ta-boot. I might even actually Animate things. ~ oooooh aaaaah *croud applauses*
PsychoticKittens

A Guy's dad wiped the files from the computer, so we lost all of his stuff. Dunno when it'll be released now.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

It's a shame, but I'm working very fast to recreate everything. Shouldn't take too long.

EDIT:Found a save file, I can recover everything.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Well, I seem to be progressing along on this, though everything's disorganized.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
PsychoticKittens

I'll give a tidbit of what he's currently coding:

Diplomacy!

Ceasefires are buggers.

Edit: Wait No, for now he's moving on past that since it just won't work.

EditEdit: And now he's trying to do it a different way.
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on June 21st, 2009, 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dox

Post by Dox »

This sounds absolutely amazing, I cannot wait for this to come out.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Hopefully it will be such a big world that takes so long to do anything in it will dissuade noobs from playing it...

Interesting plan, sounds like it's aiming for a Galactic Empires style small fan group.
PsychoticKittens

That's how stuff I make tends to be. Afew friends and I play often, with random people getting interested when they see it. Although those people rarely follow through like my friends do and play it much. I do this to keep myself busy and entertained, getting other people to play later is just a bonus~.

Edit: For the purpose of getting more people though, I'm making smaller maps that are more viable with less people.
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on June 20th, 2009, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Araja

Post by Araja »

Like me and me and my friend Pandora's user maps, built for us with others finding it interesting, sometimes.

I like your style :)
PsychoticKittens

Anyway, since A_Guy is expecting some form of playability soon, I'll go ahead and give out more information.

There are pretty decent choices when it comes to diplomacy, most of which are code enforced.

Alliances temporarily team you up with another player, no problems from ZoC, help from friendly abilities, and some form of teamwork. Unfortunatly for people who want to win by alliance, if your alliance is the last group of players left it will be auto-disbanded and you'll be forced to fight eachother.

Ceasefires don't quite work yet. They leave things like ZoC and non-shared vision, but make it so that shooting the partner in the treaty causes some form of negative on the attackers part (we've tried instant end of combat, killing the unit who attacked, and if nothing else works we'll just make the attacker pay for damages)

Tributes, I find, will be very enjoyable. You can demand a tribute from a lesser player with a short (and explicitive free) message. Edit: Player Specified Messages were removed, players will be able to pick from a list of messages in Beta2 Something like "Gimme all yo monies or ah keel yoo!". Then they decline or accept and you can do whatever either way since the conditions are NOT code enforced. Alliances and Ceasefires may have an addition of side-tributes to make it worth the other players while (or yours). You can also give tributes requesting you not be wiped off the face of the planet, making it lucrative for other players to leave you alive can easily give you time to build up a formidable force if you're a heavy economic player.

Along with diplomacy there is research involved to improve current units, or open up units that are just too powerful to have from the start (like stealth aircraft and nukes.) Research won't be tradeable or stealable, so you'll have to do it yourself. Its just point and pay, no time required but you'll still have to do it yourself.
Last edited by PsychoticKittens on July 2nd, 2009, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I don't like the fact that you can't win by alliance. I see this game ending because the people don't want to continue after their "alliance" "won." Was it difficult to code that, or did you just not feel like dealing with it?
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
PsychoticKittens

well, we actually coded against it to force the alliance to break FIRST, although alliances aren't fully coded just yet, they're being worked on.

I felt that if you wanted teams in the first place, you'd put teams (since that is possible in the beggining). Otherwise it should be a FFA in the end. You can't dominate the world if you have abunch of allies holding you down!