SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.9!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.0!

Post by Pentarctagon »

when i try to play many of the SXGE scenarios it tells me that theres an unrecognized unit, so i was wonder ing what era i have to download to be able to play.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Attack, Ramblin, Trapped - Default units only
Channels, Figure, Rush, Spiral - requires Mercenaries
Extend - requires BEEM (Extended Era)
Mythos - requires EoM (Era of Myths)
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
voris

Post by voris »

Pentarctagon wrote:when i try to play many of the SXGE scenarios it tells me that theres an unrecognized unit, so i was wonder ing what era i have to download to be able to play.
I thought I got all of them but I'll have to check more closely. There were many name changes and such between 1.4 and 1.6... thanks for the heads up!
voris

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.2!

Post by voris »

One of the "features" released last night with 2.17.1 was that whenever a player died, side one lost gold equal to however much gold the dead side had left. Whups! This bugfix takes care of that and puts things back the way they were. Now each side loses their own money only when they die. :)

Additionally, we still have the features introduced by 2.17.1 which I planned to post about today when my browser was no longer misbehaving:

There is now an Abilities Store. I will tweak pricing based on feedback and probably add some other abilities in the future. I'm also thinking about making some of the abilities have other drawbacks besides just price. Like maybe alignment requirements.

Items you sometimes can't buy either because you already own one (abilities and weapons) or because you might not need it (healing) use color coding now. Green shows it can be bought and it is greyed out when it can't be bought. The text also changes from listing a price to showing "already bought" or "not needed". I'm thinking about also adding the "greyed out" look to anything you can't afford but for now this is only used on things you either can buy only one of and already have or healing when you don't need it.

Speaking of healing and whether you need it, the main shop screen now displays your current hitpoints, poisoned, and slowed status along with color coding (red if things look bad, green if they're good) so you can readily see whether you need to worry about healing. I'm thinking about maybe adding a reminder to heal as soon as you enter the shop if your hitpoints are critically low (less than 50% maybe?) since I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone walk out of the shop with only a few hitpoints and all their gold spent only to say "forgot to heal!"
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Sounds like good stuff, voris. I especially like the reminder to heal. I say under 40% is good.

xtreme-one

Post by xtreme-one »

hi, I think that SX is an amazing multiplayer game. but when i start games w/ the new version. my computer says "insertion failed" what could this be??? :annoyed:
I also wondered if u could add ghosts and lvl2/3 off that?
MCP

Post by MCP »

f it.
SpoOkyMagician

Re: SurvivalXtreme: Version 2.17.7!

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

No offense or anything, but the game is getting close/near to the impossible state. The goal was to kill the bosses. Yet, I am not seeing how it is possible at the moment. I do agree that the game should of been harder. But again, it seems impossible with the changes. Seriously, has anyone even beat the game on the hardest mode? (I haven't seen any proof yet)

(BTW I'm referring to the big maps. I haven't played the older/smaller maps yet.)

If you have (without going back a few moves of course. That doesn't technically count as a victory.), post a replay. :?

edit: Don't get me wrong of course. I know its called Survival Extreme for a reason but... still... But other then that, all the updates and stuff are awesome. (They big maps anyway.)

Too bad you cant make the AI play itself. That would prove it would be possible. Well, you could but it wouldn't shop unless you turned ai off temporally and turned it back on once in awhile. I doubt anyone would bother doing that on the big maps.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Well, you don't have to play on the hardest difficulty. Are you playing with the max number of people? I haven't played much since 1.6 came out because I haven't had the time, but I also haven't heard that it is impossible. I'll have to try it when I have some free time (next month :( )

SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Yea. All 5 players. Although, I haven't soloed it yet myself with all 5 players yet. Even still... Oh and no, I was just playing on "experienced"... Not the hardest... (Dunno what its called) But, I'd hate to see it on the hardest... I am told it gets harder twice as fast... There is no way... But again, prove me wrong with a replay. :?
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
MCP

Post by MCP »

Experienced is do-able.
Originally in a Mabuse map, Mad Mode was really, really hard. In fact if I beat a map on Mad mode, I would be so angry at it I'd never play it on mad ever again.
Back in 1.4 with clonkinator's sx, even mad mode was too easy and too tedious. So now that Mad mode has become really hard, that's good.

If it's too hard, just play at an easier setting.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Well, I am gonna solo it myself and use all 5 players. Teamwork could be the issue... I'll see how it turns out then.

edit: hmm... My first attempt failed horribly. However, my second attempt was trying something different. While playing, i started to learn a few things. However, I kinda cheated this time. (Killed off 4 players for 800 gold for player 1.) I am still alive at the moment. I am on turn 55 on expert. Killed a lot of the bosses so far. I will continue to play and see if its even possible to win this way. if not, the game has to be impossible... Although, I do see one issue that will become a pain... My advance xp is insainly high atm... its up to 800 to level up now... It's a pain to level up but I am surviving... Ill edit once i finish/die.

edit: Man... I died... (Turn 65ish) I trapped myself inside cave... Even with getting an extra 3200 gold, I failed... It's not looking possible atm... I saved the replay. I wasn't really using the calculation button like i should of at first. I was just rushing until around turn 50ish. You could see I started getting out of the other cave carefully/wisely. Anyway, here is the replay. I could of done better but still...

edit: Damn... I didn't even kill the leader when I had the chance... (just noticed while watching replay.)
Attachments
SXTheEvilDead_Expert_Fail_replay.gz
Meh... My solo attempt on SX Expert.
(181.89 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
(User Page)
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

It should be harder to win having killed off 4 players than to use all 5 normally. Why? Because it gets HARDER with each PC that dies!!! You made it 4X harder by killing them off in the beginning. I don't know the exact calculations so it may be more or less than literally 4 times harder, but the difficulty goes up with each PC death.

voris

Post by voris »

MCP wrote:f it.
Did I miss something? :)
voris

Post by voris »

spookymagician wrote:No offense or anything, but the game is getting close/near to the impossible state. The goal was to kill the bosses. Yet, I am not seeing how it is possible at the moment. I do agree that the game should of been harder. But again, it seems impossible with the changes. Seriously, has anyone even beat the game on the hardest mode? (I haven't seen any proof yet)

(BTW I'm referring to the big maps. I haven't played the older/smaller maps yet.)
I can't say for sure, but I'm sure it would help Mabuse out a lot if you mentioned just a touch more detail like which map exactly, at which point you're seeing trouble, are you starting with map settings (not changing starting gold, leaving shroud on, etc.) and how many are you playing with. It's also useful to know if you're doing weenie things like starting with 5 just so you can kill off two of them for gold. The core SX macros are designed to discourage that by giving the AI players big bonuses when a human player dies... :)

Edit: Never mind, looks like you did that a couple posts down. That'll teach me to hit the reply button before reading all the way down...