Quick BEEM Battle! IV

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Voodoo

Quick BEEM Battle! IV

Post by Voodoo »

"Quick BEEM Battle! IV" Tournament

From 22nd September - 12th October

This is the 4th edition of the "Quick BEEM Battle!" tournament and the first one to be open to the Official Forum. This tournament has also an important role for testing BEEM.
The first and bigger news is that Darnek joined the "BEEM Team" as Head Tester and he will be the organizer of this tournament. If you have any problem about this tournament, please post here and we'll solve it.

About the tournament, it will be divided into two 4-players-groups, one for WIF (Wesnoth Italian Forum) and one for the Official Forum. At the end, the two best players will play against each other to decide the Champion of the "Quick BEEM Battle! IV"!
This tournament is played in little maps (the name "Quick" should have suggested it to you! :P) as a whole knockout stage. There is ONE match a week for every player. The two players of the match decide by themselves when to play the match. They can use the forum, the private messages or whathever they want to decide when they play the match.
For example. Player1 and Player2 have to play to first match between 22nd September and 28th September. Then they have to decide when to play the match, which day. They can choose the day they prefer, from 22nd September to 28th September.
If we dont't reach 8 players for 22/09, the tournament will be postponed of one week.
Il you want to join, just post in this thread and choose a faction.

Before the rules, let's see the matches' schedule:

WIF Group

Player1\
---vs----------->..........\
Player2---------------------\
----------------------------->------>..... (WIF Champion)
Player3\--------------------/
vs ------------->........../
Player4/

FORUM Group

Player5\
---vs----------->..........\
Player6---------------------\
----------------------------->------>..... (FORUM Champion)
Player7\--------------------/
vs ------------->........../
Player8/

Final Match: "Wif Champion" vs "FORUM Champion"

*: is the host of the match (it will be decided randomly)

Matches:

22nd September - 28th September. Map: Caves of the Basilisk

-Player1 vs Player 2

-Player3 vs Player 4

-Player5 vs Player 6

-Player7 vs Player 8

29th September - 5th October. Map: Den of Onis

-Semi Finals

6th October - 12nd October. Map: I'll decide it later

-Final Match

Please read the rules with attention:

1) The last version of BEEM must be used (actually 1.2) with the "Balanced All Eras" era. You can download it from the Official Server.

2) Every player plays once a week, please follow the scheduled matches.

3) You have to choose the faction you want to use at the moment you join the Tournament.

4) Every match lasts 30 turns, time for each turn: 180 seconds.
Use these rules: Fog of War: YES, Shroud: YES, Random Start Time: YES, 70% experience, 100 starting money and 2 money per village

5) One of the two players MUST save the match's replay and then post it on the forum.

Hall of Fame:

-3 Victories

Reika (I,II,II editions)

Have fun ;)
Last edited by Voodoo on September 17th, 2008, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darnek

Re: Quick BEEM Battle! IV

Post by Darnek »

Hi, i'm Darnek.

If you have some question ask to me or Voodoo, and we will answer you in a short time.

Good game to all.

Darnek :wink:
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

No one is interested to play this tournament? Cm'on! I can't believe it!
This is the official forum of BfW, it should be of full of users who want to play!!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Beside the "Balanced Extended Era" era, I added the "Balanced All Eras" era: here I'll put all the new factions from all eras. It'll always be the recommended era for multiplayer matches/tournaments.
When I read this I was a bit incredulous, although I admit I haven't tried it out yet.

I'm surprised none of the MP Developers like Noy have commented on this yet.

They would probably tell you something like about how Map design/settings are part of the balance having more than four or so factions that have wildly different styles for those maps will create greater and greater difficulty of maintaining true balance with each faction you add. When I say true balance, I mean eliminating the kinds of tactical advantages in a particular matchup in particular situations that may not be obvious to anyone other than highly skilled players.

Having said that, I'm glad you are interested in improving the balance of Extended Era but I just haven't had a chance to try it out yet (been busy). ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Darnek

Post by Darnek »

Thank You for the information, Sapient. Your message is really important for the developement of BEEM. :wink:

After this tournament, we will work to the maps too. :wink:

Thank You very much. :wink:

Darnek :wink:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Sapiant has said about what I have thought about it too. As maintainer of EoM, I have worked specificaly on balancing EoM (within itself) for a long time now. It's much better than when I got it, but still not realy near finished yet. Then one day out of nowhere someone comes up and says, "I like this stuff, but it's not balanced, so I'm going to make a balanced version of it!" and makes a large string of of changes I didn't realy read through. I would not have been quite as incredulous if it had just been for EoM, but it seemed to indicate that balancing EoM, EE, Default, and whatever else you've thrown in would be a simple matter of making said list of changes, or adhereing to some point system.

Now I do not know for certain that you are wrong, but my long experiance with the game tells me otherwise.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Sapient wrote:
Beside the "Balanced Extended Era" era, I added the "Balanced All Eras" era: here I'll put all the new factions from all eras. It'll always be the recommended era for multiplayer matches/tournaments.
When I read this I was a bit incredulous, although I admit I haven't tried it out yet.

I'm surprised none of the MP Developers like Noy have commented on this yet.

They would probably tell you something like about how Map design/settings are part of the balance having more than four or so factions that have wildly different styles for those maps will create greater and greater difficulty of maintaining true balance with each faction you add. When I say true balance, I mean eliminating the kinds of tactical advantages in a particular matchup in particular situations that may not be obvious to anyone other than highly skilled players.

Having said that, I'm glad you are interested in improving the balance of Extended Era but I just haven't had a chance to try it out yet (been busy). ;)
Yeah I know that also balanced maps are needed, but I think things are a bit simpler. I mean, once you have a balanced map for EE, then it's balanced also for BEEM. That's because there is a limited number of "territorial tactics" you can use in BfW. Once you have a balanced map for Sylvans, Dwarves, Loyalists, Drakes, Kalifa, Undeads... then if you add Vampires the map is still balanced.

But there also other ways to overcome the maps problems.
In the 3rd edition of the "Quick BEEM Battle", I used 4-players-groups with 6 matches for every player. When one player plays "in house" (it means he creates the match on the server) he can choose the map. So every player plays 3 matches with his own map and 3 matches with the prefered map of the opponents.
Of course, I made a list of avaible maps.

It's near impossible so make a perfect-balanced-map-of-every-faction. You can make it NEAR balanced for every faction but it's normal if one or two factions can take a little advance. I mean it's ok because if during a tournament you play 2 or 3 different maps with is a "middle effect" (sometimes you will have an advance, sometimes you will have a disadvance).

Nevertheless, it's true also that in a whole knockout stage like the 4th edition of the "Quick BEEM Battle" that's not still true.. but I think that in this case, the first international tournament for BEEM, we can overpass it ^_^

I add that if you (or everyone else in the forum) know some well balanced maps, I'll be glad to add it in the BEEM!
I think that maps Den of Onis are already very good balanced :)
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Velensk wrote:Sapiant has said about what I have thought about it too. As maintainer of EoM, I have worked specificaly on balancing EoM (within itself) for a long time now. It's much better than when I got it, but still not realy near finished yet. Then one day out of nowhere someone comes up and says, "I like this stuff, but it's not balanced, so I'm going to make a balanced version of it!" and makes a large string of of changes I didn't realy read through. I would not have been quite as incredulous if it had just been for EoM, but it seemed to indicate that balancing EoM, EE, Default, and whatever else you've thrown in would be a simple matter of making said list of changes, or adhereing to some point system.

Now I do not know for certain that you are wrong, but my long experiance with the game tells me otherwise.
We are OT here, I'll answer you here
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21860 ;)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That does not answer anything.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Then maybe I didn't get the point.
What are you trying to tell me? I don't understand what's the meaning of "balancement" for you.
Please answer in the other topic. This is the topic of the tournament, that is the topic of BEEM. Thanks :)

And... if anyone wants to join the tournament is very welcome ^_^
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Ok guys, if no-one wants to join the tournament, it will be player only with WIF members.
I'm very sorry of this, I think the Official Foum lost an oppurtunity to help BEEM grow. It's very sad to see no-one in interested in playing a bfw tournament.

This is the url of the "Quick BEEM Battle! IV" topic in WIF
http://wif.altervista.org/index.php/topic,759.0.html.

This topic can also be closed.
Thanks.