[solved] Linking to this part of the forum...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

eyerouge

[solved] Linking to this part of the forum...

Post by eyerouge »

Directed to the admin / mods of the forum:

Several players on the ladder have asked me to put a forum online for it. I have been reluctant in doing so, not because I'm not able or it's hard (installing phpbb takes like 10 minutes) but because I never really saw the point and also the fact that it would divide the wesnoth community and/or make it harder to follow it by adding yet another forum for just that purpose.

My original conception was that a forum on the ladder site wasn't needed because wesnoth already has a perfectly working forum already - this one. Now, since players suggest that I put a forum online, it seems to me that it's more logical to point them to the multiplayer part of this forum, maybe via a direct link to it from the ladder or something like it.

My question is if that would be ok? I can't really what they'd discuss that was ladder specific or wasn't multiplayer-ish enough for this forum, so it makes no sense to create a separate forum at this time. At the same time I wouldn't want to turn the MP forum into a place where the ladder is discussed in half the topics (not likely, but still spamming enough for the forum), so maybe it's a bad idea after all.

Edit: Actually this part of the forum has a description of it that suggests that it's used for something totally different. At the same time, it's actual content contradicts that. It seems as if there isn't really a place on the forum to discuss multiplayer gaming if you don't take Strategies & Tips into account. After all, this is a dev. part of the forum.
Last edited by eyerouge on February 28th, 2008, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
grrr

Post by grrr »

I guess some nice forum mod could give you your own ladder subforum here? I don't see whom that could hurt, and yes - you're right in one point: I certainly won't register to a 2nd wesnoth-related forum (so chances a *completely new* ladder forum would take-off are rather slim from my pov).
JW

Post by JW »

You could always create a ladder thread in the users forum. There's probably one or two buried from previous attempts.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

official policy regarding ladders

Post by ivanovic »

In short:

Our official policy is that there is no and will not be any kind of official ladder supported by the whole Wesnoth team. All you can do is have *up to* one thread dedicated to your ladder but you should *at least* mention in the topic that it is an unofficial ladder. You will not get a whole subforum or such since we think this would be stating official support for the ladder idea, which we do decline. If you start more threads, those will be locked.
eyerouge

Post by eyerouge »

Oki. Good to know, settles it once and for all. :)
ping

Post by ping »

Why so hostile? English is not native to me and i may have missed something but it does not strike me that everouge need to be treaten with locking of threads? What he/she have been doing so far seems notthing but respectfull and positive for the comminity?

A lot of regulars (some under different names) and players in general have taken an interest into it. I remember the watching replays of 1v1 and 2v2 tournament it was a lot of fun but it seem hard to organise it such that the tournament flows. This initiate here seems to work and procedure some good and fun matches and as far as I have seen the “tone” of it all have been of enjoyment. I agree that it would be sad if all matches was ladder and that a login exists which count losses and wins for all players but this voluntary.

On a related note I think it could be good if login existed with just a joined date and a free text people could fill out. There are many reasons for this but mainly that it would help new players. It is very hard for a new player to get a good game going. Players keep “white list” of who they want to play because there is many disconnects and rather rude players. I’m not saying new players will get more games with experienced players. Wesnoth is highly skilled depended and players of similarly skills have the most fun games.

Regulars knows this and in general find good games I think, but for a new player to find another new player that does not quit turn 5 is rather hard. With logins people can keep black list instead of white list which would be better (I leant the white list / black list words from soliton (not saying anything about what he means as I don’t know). It will make the semi known to known transaction better as well – oh you played 4 months according to profile want to have a game… My believe is that players act more friendly when they have a nick and know a few things about each other from a profile text. Beside with registration (and join dates) you only run into the same rude person once no need for a star or karma setting.
The default setting mark in version 1.3 is very good as well, it stresses what a map was designed for and I hope too see less 30% exp games as I think that are another thing that scares off new players. Also making a mp profile could link to a word about wesnoth and how to “navigate” around the server / how to behave / how to get help and such.

That said I find wesnoth a very fun game which have a great dev-team that does an excellent job and a very good community in general.

EDIT: some spelling