The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Karo

Post by Karo »

TruePurple wrote:Apparently when ever flying creatures attack a ship it gets really buggy. I witnessed another game where they discussed having that problem and explained how to comment out the flying creatures. Unfortunately I don't recall/have those instructions.

In a game myself with two others a flier attacked my ship and the other two players got knocked out of the game.

So apparently its unplayable without those fliers disabled.
Go into the High Seas file and find the folder that contains the macros. Find anything with "flying" in it and delete the section containing it. I believe it's just the enemies.cfg, and possibly misc.cfg.
TruePurple

Post by TruePurple »

BTW I think its just the experimental beta, that it may work 1.28 but don't know. Noy says thats not the case, that it didnt work in 1.28 either. In which case its strange fliers haven't been removed in mod as of yet.

Can I just use comment in front of each line? Or how does that work? Where is the high seas folder?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

It never worked in 1.2

The reason flyers caused a game crash when they land on your deck in 1.3.14 is most likely the result of a known wesnoth bug which doesn't like teleporting units mid-combat.

If it still happens in 1.3.15 I will make a new version. I'm just lazy.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

Dear Bob the Mighty,

I can think of a lot of adjectives to describe your wesnoth identity, but lazy isn't one of them. High Seas is buggy, but it was all worth it for the one complete game I did play, even though I lost to TL, I did get a chance to betray Noy and land a battallion of heavy infantries to attack his ship while he was raiding a plantation. His cries of anger and resentment sounded very satisfying and my only regret is that we set the winning points so low because the next turn TL won.

Excellent scenario... Now if it could just be combined with "A New Land" into a grand campaign we might just have a new entertainment for poor internet children around the world! ;)

Keep up the good work!

-suvorov
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

suvorov wrote:Excellent scenario... Now if it could just be combined with "A New Land" into a grand campaign we might just have a new entertainment for poor internet children around the world! ;)
A more doable/interesting combo is probably combining the High Seas engine with Bob's RPG era and having an even more epic naval game (campaign?) where you have to buy ships and possibly crew (or perhaps cooperative on one ship). Of course, it would be up to Bob if he ever wanted to recycle the High Seas ship concept on a future project.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Karo

Post by Karo »

Made a few slight modifications to The High Seas:

- Removed the slave items (they weren't working in the first place)
- Reintroduced lifeboats (missing due to a typo)
- Added 2 ships for purchase at shipyards (currently unbalanced)
- Increased damage done by Pirate Galleons
- Removed flyer bug
Attachments
buildings.cfg
A less modified version of buildings.cfg, with only the lifeboat restoration
(37.81 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
buildings.cfg
Removed slaves, fixed lifeboat, purchasable ships
(35.26 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
ships.cfg
Pirate Galleon modification, new ship
(11.74 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
enemies.cfg
For the flyer bug
(5.51 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
nataS

Post by nataS »

Stuck in void bug:
There was someone at the wooden bridge too, with everything full my captain and two tugs ended up in the void and can't get out.
They have movement points but can't move and no board or unboard ship option is available.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

eventually, the ship can be filled up. the easy way to prevent this is when someone boards the ship and a unit exists at the destination, they swap locations with each other.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Well, it's not just that the ship fills up, but at the 8th continuous entrance into the ship without moving units around will give you units stuck in the void. Either Bob should make it so that a unit that chooses to enter when that 8th one enters that it checks for the location and teleports it back, or put the plank on the bottom of the ship to give it a few more units before they get stuck.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Ken Oh wrote:Well, it's not just that the ship fills up, but at the 8th continuous entrance into the ship without moving units around will give you units stuck in the void.
Obviously. My point is that shuffling units around to fit them all in would be a complex task and only delay the bug from appearing rather than solving it, since it can still fill up eventually.
Ken Oh wrote: Either Bob should make it so that a unit that chooses to enter when that 8th one enters that it checks for the location and teleports it back, or put the plank on the bottom of the ship to give it a few more units before they get stuck.
Those are two other possible ways to address the problem. But I prefer my method because it keeps another player from being able to block you out entirely.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

What about making lower deck? :P
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
DDR

Post by DDR »

A simple check to see if the gangplank is occupied would solve the problem...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

DDR wrote:A simple check to see if the gangplank is occupied would solve the problem...
read threads much before posting?
Slann

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by Slann »

Bob, are you working already on this map?. I want to say that is fantastic, but no many people know how to play. This is an important problem.
Devling Fan

Re: The High Seas (Naval MP Scenario)

Post by Devling Fan »

Teams should share points and possibly even share ship having player on helm control ship movement.