World Championship of Wesnoth

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Murloc

World Championship of Wesnoth

Post by Murloc »

What would you guys think of a World Championship of Wesnoth?

The tournament will be 2 vs 2 and the guys on each team must be of the same nationality. Personally i think it would be really fun to see what country has the best players, or rather the best team.

I do see the challange with some nations being over represented, like US, England, France and so on. And i still havent found a good solution to that. Its really late, so im just posting now so i dont forget it. Its still just an idea.

But i want some input on this still. Espescially if anyone see a solution on how to decide players on each team. I mean we would want to have the best players from each country. So im thinking that each country must decide what players to represent them. Also i think we could change players inside teams if a team wants to, as long as the player is from the same nation.

Like Im from norway. And if im one player and another random is on the norwegian team. We could play first match, but then i cant show. Then i see no problems with another norwegian stepping in.

All teams would have one teamleader, the decision maker.

But like i said, its still just an idea. Just needed to get somthing on paper bfore i went to bed :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I beleive there was a 2 vs 2 Tournement of Champians, I remember that there were seriouse sechedualing issues.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Murloc

Post by Murloc »

this is understand. I just wanted to feel it out sort of, before i started thinking to much about it.

As it is today even 1vs1 tourneys have problems with people not showing up and so on. I think the answer is to have a prize of some sort. Not sure what that would be, but that would surely make people show up more :)
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

I could represent Australia (I live there obviously)
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
DDR

Post by DDR »

like chess-by-mail, we could have... wesnoth-by-email! :twisted:

This would take a month for a thirty-turn game, though. But, you could play multiple games. Print them out, and mull over them while eating breakfast. I bet we would see some really wicked strategy there...
tsr

Post by tsr »

Murloc wrote: I think the answer is to have a prize of some sort. Not sure what that would be, but that would surely make people show up more :)
I think that would ruin the fun for some of us I know I wouldn't show up as I wouldn't like to be associated with playing a fun game for the sake of winning a prize (otoh I haven't managed to commit to any of the tournaments for the last year anyway).

But that might be just me ;)
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I think it's a great idea. One or two countries might run away with it, though. I think France and the US are both pretty well represented. But that's OK. If one country keeps winning easily we could always split it into east and west or something.

(I may be willing to play for the UK, but I might not make the team :)
Any UK players want to do some trials?)

EDIT: Did Becephalus once suggest a Eurasia vs Oceania competition? Might be easier to organise.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
Qes

Post by Qes »

I sorta like the idea. The "Weslympics"

Different events could be held.

Survival Triathlon:
Individuals on Temples of the Nagas - Use Map Settings
2 other survivalist maps (who lasts the longest combining length of turns survived in all three events wins the Gold.)

Heroism:
Individuals in Arena of Heroes (who lasts longest) - Use Map Settings

The Joust:
1v1 Standard Map play (cavalry only units allowed) - Use Map Settings

Round Robin Play
Teams in Two v. Two Standard Maps (elimination in tournament mode) - Use map Settings

Melee(s):
FFA of 8 individuals (survivors move on to next round until only one is left standing)

Glory Hunting:
4 v 4 Team Play Only one entry per nation allowed. Trounament play.

Duels:
1v1 Tournament Play.

Medal's could be awarded for each, Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Perhaps little/special Forum representations of the Medals would be awarded. "Gold medal winner in Duels" or "Gold medal finalist in Melee" etc.

I always enjoy the "togetherness" that the world seems to become when the Olympics are on and its not being ruined by some scandal or other.

This could be fun.

-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
IB

Post by IB »

2v2 takes too long. Unless you want to enforce turn time limits and matches played by date x or you forfeit.
Murloc

Post by Murloc »

Well yes, there would be strict rules.

And there seems to be some support for this project :)

So i think im going to start finding some way to decide who plays on each teams. I think having one player as the team leader is the best so far. That way each team can decide what to do. Trials and so on..

Still as mentioned before, There is hard to organize this. And i think that would be the hardest challange.

And if this goes as planned, maybe Doc_paterson is willing to make a place in * * * The Hall of Eternal Champions * * *? :roll:
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Murloc wrote: And if this goes as planned, maybe Doc_paterson is willing to make a place in * * * The Hall of Eternal Champions * * *? :roll:
That's up to the Champions. You must seek an audience with them, and pray that they accept your proposal. Otherwise, I believe your life is forfeit.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Qes

Post by Qes »

I volunteer myself for Round Robin, Melee and Heroism entry as an American Weslympian. I might consider the triathalon.
-Qes
Yes I use windows.
Yes I'm aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows.
Elvish Vanquisher

Post by Elvish Vanquisher »

The only problem you have is finding a day when all the people in the game can do for about three to four hours. Like the idea but because of time zones my afternoon is america's morning so you might have to do tournaments in each continent. However i would gladly represent the UK.
FireMaster

Post by FireMaster »

I volunteer to do Duel,Heroism and Survival as an Australian Weslympian

I WILL DEFEAT YOU QES! SWAMP ELVES VS QESICANS!
Just because I'm a master of fire doesn't mean I'll light your "uber candle"
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

FireMaster wrote:I volunteer to do Duel,Heroism and Survival as an Australian Weslympian

I WILL DEFEAT YOU QES! SWAMP ELVES VS QESICANS!
be sure to add a 10-10 berserk to all your units before it starts.