A balanced map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I gave it its name.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I was actually only seriously pointing out this one. But I removed the rest due to Noy's post.
* Isar, a German river
Which is obviously wrong anyway, I only thought of that because seeing bert1's commentary on the first turns of Isar's Cross, which centered on a few villages in the water I associated the map itself with water.
Last edited by romnajin on July 2nd, 2007, 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

See I've got a question for you Romanjin... How is that helpful at all? Seriously? Why did you need to post something from Wikipedia which has NOTHING to do with the name of the map? Did you even read any of those wikipedia names? Do you really think we named it after "Inverse synthetic aperture radar"

I've stated on the forums before where the name is from, a simple search would have sufficed. Your post is another example of the white noise that we want to cut down on the forum. If you have something useful to contribute, by all means do so.

And for the record, In its first version Isar was named Cross of Iron. A long time ago, playing against the undead one game against a random player I was down on EV having lost a good portion of my attack force:
Noy wrote:Isar wasn't anybody special. He was a unremarkable Elvish fighter, fighting for his leader, Supreme Commander Noy. On one fateful evening, with the undead hordes seemingly poised for victory, Isar the Valiant did not retreat, but stood up againt the tyranny of the undead. He held off the attack of two dark adepts and one skeleton throughout night, providing the forces of Supreme Commander Noy much needed to regroup and counterattack in the morning, ultimately leading to victory.

Isar however perished during his valiant defence, but his namesake lives on in the territory he died to protect. He is a towering symbol to all elvelings on how one elf can make a difference, no matter how hopeless a situation may seem.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... light=isar
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.