Diamond of Doom- new 1v1 map ~ F8

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Diamond of Doom- new 1v1 map ~ F8

Post by F8 Binds... »

This is my 3rd 1v1 map... Inspired by blitz, only smaller with combat east-west. Basic settings. Comments welcome.

[map]WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWgWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWggfghWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWfgghfmggkWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWchgggtrrrcgfmWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWcswYggrrhgg\rgrrrWWWWWWW
WWWWWdcQcrgrrfmdfgkgrfgrhtWWWWW
WWWvg1QQ/crhdcccgkkghaggrggfWWW
WfhgghNgccfkccssccmkkcggrhggmfW
WWmfggrggakgmkccscchfccQN2gvhWW
WWWWgtrrgfhgkggdcfdrrr/QQdgWWWW
WWWWWWhrgrrrkgfhmrrggwcccWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWrmgg\rgrrgggYcsWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWfkcgrftggfhWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWghmfhggWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWgggWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW[/map]

(cavewall=shroud)
Last edited by F8 Binds... on May 21st, 2007, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I like this one a lot. You are getting better.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yup it does remind a lot of blitz.

but 1v1 are so boring... theyre useful only when theres noone on eth 1.3 server again.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Nice job. Could be a little rough for the Undead.

Also- Low village count, but I take it you're happy with that.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Chris Byler

Post by Chris Byler »

17,16 can be stolen by P1 by a unit with 1 movecost in hills and 10 mp (recruit it at 7,11). On a map with so few villages this may be decisive (most people will probably play it on at least 2 gpv, maybe higher; I'd probably go for at least 3 gpv with only 10 villages on the whole map).

That may only be possible in AoH, and most units will still only be able to do it if they are quick (sky drake, goblin knight/pillager, elvish rider going around the hills, maybe others). But a gryphon master can do it guaranteed, and is unlikely to be dislodged before reinforcements can arrive.

So I'd suggest moving that village (and the symmetric one, and probably some of the terrain around them) one hex further back from the midline. (I think a quick gryphon master could *still* make it on turn 2, but a non-quick gryphon master could wind up being a big waste of gold, so that might not be a problem.) Alternatively you could throw in a couple hexes of some cave terrain, which everyone has to go around except for units that are too slow to village-steal anyway.

Maybe it's simpler to just say "don't play AoH on this map". :)

Also, row 5 seems to be displaying incorrectly - there's an extra hex jutting out to the right. Anyone else having that problem?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Chris Byler wrote:17,16 can be stolen by P1 by a unit with 1 movecost in hills and 10 mp (recruit it at 7,11). On a map with so few villages this may be decisive (most people will probably play it on at least 2 gpv, maybe higher; I'd probably go for at least 3 gpv with only 10 villages on the whole map).

That may only be possible in AoH, and most units will still only be able to do it if they are quick (sky drake, goblin knight/pillager, elvish rider going around the hills, maybe others). But a gryphon master can do it guaranteed, and is unlikely to be dislodged before reinforcements can arrive.

So I'd suggest moving that village (and the symmetric one, and probably some of the terrain around them) one hex further back from the midline. (I think a quick gryphon master could *still* make it on turn 2, but a non-quick gryphon master could wind up being a big waste of gold, so that might not be a problem.) Alternatively you could throw in a couple hexes of some cave terrain, which everyone has to go around except for units that are too slow to village-steal anyway.

Maybe it's simpler to just say "don't play AoH on this map". :)
Not even the official maps are made to accomodate AOH. This is not to say that you'll have a terribly unbalanced AOH game on any of them, but I think that a map has to be made specifically with AOH in mind for the designer to want to think about all of the factors that present themselves (in an era where L2s can be recruited). I don't know of many (or any actually, but there must be a few) decent players who spend time on AOH, and I don't think that AOH-based map criticisms matter much to the majority of players. Generally the players playing with AOH are doing so with large amounts of gold and low exp, and don't care about or understand concepts of playerside or factional balance.
Chris Byler wrote: Also, row 5 seems to be displaying incorrectly - there's an extra hex jutting out to the right. Anyone else having that problem?
Yep.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Fixed. :D

I really appreciate the commentary. I may add a village if I can find a spot... However as it is right now, "Ich bin kaputt." Just went on a 30 mile bike ride in the mountains... (not mountain biking... but there was a 20 degree slope in there :wink:)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Hello fellow biker :) I went on thre over 10 mile rides today, each on a different rig ;)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

problem is though... you live in the flats... I live in the mountains... otherwise known as CO. :D

(where do you find 20 degree slopes in Minnesota? Glad to see there are other people who carry my passion.)
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

In Duluth and in St. Paul although not very high. Duluth is built on a 700ft hill I lived halfway up (Lots of, say 25% streets). And the Mississippi River Valley has 500ft or so bluffs on my side where I live (Lots of say, 15% streets).

But no it is not the same as biking in the Mtns. Duluth has steeper in-city biking though, than anywhere you would find in Colorado. Its comparable to Lisbon or San Francisco. there are no big bodies of water in COlorado forcing people to build right on a steep hillside.

To be fair almost all of Minnesota is fairly flat. Just not the places I have happened to live.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Becephalus wrote:I like this one a lot. You are getting better.
Couldn't agree more. Nice work.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Shifting sides was fun (North/South). I wonder if it would make the map unbalance if 16,10 & 16,11 & 16,12 became a ford, to increase the ease for troops to go from side to side.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I see your thinking, but I of a sort tried to dedicate that to drakes as their one zone that they could use to surprise the opponent by crossing that deep water. Just don't take it hard. :)
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

F8 Binds... wrote:I see your thinking, but I of a sort tried to dedicate that to drakes as their one zone that they could use to surprise the opponent by crossing that deep water.
Sounds fair enough. Let's negociate : just 16,11 ?
F8 Binds... wrote: Just don't take it hard. :)
I'll kill you for that.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

I think making that hex a sunken castle or great tree icon would look much better than ford. What ya'll think?