Here is a bracket I made

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Here is a bracket I made

Post by Becephalus »

Hopefully this will clear some things up. If there are any errors be sure to tell me.

EDIT: oops this was not supposed to be its own topic, oh well.

Last edited by Becephalus on May 15th, 2007, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Ah, so this is how the tournament is progressing!
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

That looks pretty good... except that I'm not on it! :cry:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

It looks like we're going to resolve the whole Ultimatum/Thrawn/F8 mess by inserting ereksos into that section. He'll be Wintersmith's opponent in Round 2.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Fine with me. I don't think I deserve to be in the second round without playing the first round.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Wintersmith

Post by Wintersmith »

Have tournament formats other than single-elimination ever been considered? Single-elimination is a frustrating format for good players who get matched against other good players in early rounds; in this situation, it is unavoidable that a good player will get knocked out early.

This is non-ideal because:

1) It would be good for the tournament to determine a complete ranking of the players involved, rather the just determine a single winner. In single-elimination the second-best player could lose to the eventual winner in round one. Hence this format doesn't provide ranking information.

2) We good players think we deserve to play more than one or two games in a tournament. (Case in point: Wintermute was knocked out in round 1, and I myself didn't make it past round 2.)

I think Swiss format, or some modification thereof, would be a much better option than single-elimination.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Have you not noticed how hard it is to keep even this style tourney running? Although this does give me some ideas about runnign an super simple monthly league. I also updated the bracket.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Wintersmith wrote:Have tournament formats other than single-elimination ever been considered? Single-elimination is a frustrating format for good players who get matched against other good players in early rounds; in this situation, it is unavoidable that a good player will get knocked out early.

This is non-ideal because:

1) It would be good for the tournament to determine a complete ranking of the players involved, rather the just determine a single winner. In single-elimination the second-best player could lose to the eventual winner in round one. Hence this format doesn't provide ranking information.

2) We good players think we deserve to play more than one or two games in a tournament. (Case in point: Wintermute was knocked out in round 1, and I myself didn't make it past round 2.)

I think Swiss format, or some modification thereof, would be a much better option than single-elimination.
You should take a closer look at the bracket if you think it was created at random. Do you think you'd ever see Dragonking vs. Becephalus in Round One? (nope)

The only time that a really top-tier player is going to fall in Round One is if their opponent is a lot better than I had guessed, and/or uses their hidden skill to capitalize on early, careless mistakes that said top-tier player probably wouldn't have made had they known what they were getting into from the start (this can be a deathblow with a little luck in one of the other 2 games)- though this is not to say that the better-known player would necessarily have won the series anyway. There were some close matches between good players in Round One that couldn't be avoided; sometimes there's little choice when creating the bracket. I'd also like to remind you that it is not "single elimination-" it's a series with your opponent in which you have to lose two to four times (depending on the round) to be eliminatated.

As I've told people before, please do run your own tournament if you don't like the way that this one is being run. If you want to have a 32 person, double elimination tournament with a loser's bracket, by all means, give it a go. Avoiding the "bogging down effect" is really the key to success, and if you can solve that problem while creating a fun atmosphere, the community will be all the better for it.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme