Temples of the nagas -version 1.25 (NEW MAINTAINER!)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

F8
thought an interesting idea would be to give it skirmisher,
I really think that would just make it too annoying. The first boss isn't suppossed to be that hard...just enough to slow down one player in the initial rush for the early temple plunder.

Nosmos
i find a bit unbalanced is the -20 % cold res of the last wave
sure they are nagas but this really gives factions with a cold mage a big advantage, 0 cold res for all the nagas would be better imho
Well, chances are with 4 factions that you'll have some access to cold damage...and there are several items to help along the way. Even without the cold damage, fire still burns them and blades still cut them. :) It's a long road to get to that spawn, and each faction has advangates somewhere along the way. It doesn't seem right to change the nature of the entire spawn based on one type of damage...nagas are nagas...after all, it is their temple.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Identity wrote:
Clonkinator wrote: And the thing with the zerk-amulet: It is a really nice item, but if you lose it the scenario get's insanely hard to beat. And you usually lose it for sure if an AI-recruit collects it... :x
The AI can't pick up artifacts. They can move units on top of them, but the item remains until a player's unit moves over it. Getting the zerk item on a very high movement unit generally ensures its survival and its use nearly every turn throughout the game.
The AI can pick up the items. I wasn't talking about the temple guardians, however, but about the sides 2,3,4,5. If you set them to AI (e.g. if you want to play without another human player but still with 3 allies) they still can pick up items. Although I don't really suggest to play the map with AI allies on harder difficulties. And yes, the zerk-item does make an unit very strong, but it's still mortal. And if you're unlucky for some reason, or if you don't know which kind of enemy appears at which location you might lose that unit nevertheless. But however, maybe that annoying thing with losing items could change soon...
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Clonkinator wrote:The AI can pick up the items. ... Although I don't really suggest to play the map with AI allies
:lol: ahh, yes, the attackers can pick up items. But on a scenario like this, I think that saying something like "the AI can pick up items" is pretty easily interperted to mean a bug in the game allowing the guardians to pick them up. I wouldn't even dream of playing any multiplayer game with an AI on my team.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Nosmos

Post by Nosmos »

jb wrote:.

Well, chances are with 4 factions that you'll have some access to cold damage...and there are several items to help along the way. Even without the cold damage, fire still burns them and blades still cut them. :) It's a long road to get to that spawn, and each faction has advangates somewhere along the way. It doesn't seem right to change the nature of the entire spawn based on one type of damage...nagas are nagas...after all, it is their temple.
true each faction has their advantages/disadvantages during the whole game but every other wave has some problem units for every faction (like fire or impact versus undead), but the last wave has nothing
even that plague range attack is cold
holy instead of cold would be an idea, i mean they are templars so holy would fit :)
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Had a lot of free time today, so I decided to play through TotN again. I left the game open and turned off my screensaver so I could do it in 1 sitting. Adding in the breaks I took, it took a total of 8 hours to beat. Started at 12:30pm and ended at 8:30pm :D.

The film SHOULD work (at least, it worked for me!).

I think the last wave is a bit weak, especially compared to the wave before it :/
Attachments
Temples_of_the_nagas_replay.zip
(90.35 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Temples of the nagas - Updated

Post by Mythological »

I've updated new version 7 of the Temples of the Nagas on the both add-on servers and in the starting post of this thread.
The changes are :

- the 1st wave of the immobile guards are level 1 units, so getting the early bonus is much harder
- the map has been changed to be more knalgan friendly and to have more easily defendable positions
- wave bosses have a hero icon to be more easily recognized
- all of the wave 8 immobile guards are level 3, as they should be
- the items that give extra hitpoints ( the shield and the equipment ) now grant proportial healing so that units who get the items dont have to be healed unless they were injured before getting those items
- the base income of the players in now +2 in both 1.2 and 1.3 versions
- the last wave nagas are not weak to cold
- some other minor WML changes

Kalis wrote:Had a lot of free time today, so I decided to play through TotN again. I left the game open and turned off my screensaver so I could do it in 1 sitting. Adding in the breaks I took, it took a total of 8 hours to beat. Started at 12:30pm and ended at 8:30pm :D.

The film SHOULD work (at least, it worked for me!).

I think the last wave is a bit weak, especially compared to the wave before it :/
Kalis : you are right about the last wave being weak . The bosses do not use the weapons to their full potential - that is one of the things to be changed in the future
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

I've updated new version 7 of the Temples of the Nagas
as always, fantastic work Mythological :)
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

very good work myth!
Love the new nagas!

One suggestion:
elvish bow, if given to a unit without ranged attack, could it give some sort of ranged attack?
something like 8-5 marksman or something?
Just got into a game where a guy picked it up with a melee unit thinking it gave a ranged attack, which is a perfectly reasonable action...
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Temples of the nagas - version 8

Post by Mythological »

The new version 8 of Temples of the nagas has been uploaded on both add-on servers. The files attached to the starting post of this thread have also been updated to the latest version of TotN, so you can download them here.

Changes :

- minor changes of the map in favor of factions that don't have water units
- a terrain mask that fires on turn 48 has been added. The terrain mask makes large portions of the map turn into swamp and water, making the last enemy wave that consists of nagas much harder to beat
- the last wave naga bosses use their weapons more effectively
- enemy bosses have user descriptions ( to make their names visible in 1.3 )
- units who pick up the items get hero icons which make them more easily distinguishable from the others
- the elven bow now gives a 10-5 ranged pierce attack with marksmanship instead of the upgrade of the unit's ranged attack if the unit who takes it doesn't originally have a ranged attack ( as Kalis requested )
- changed some AI parameters
- some minor WML and grammar fixes

Jb and me think that there is no need for any further changes so Temples of the nagas v8 will be the final version of this multiplayer scenario

Enjoy playing it

Never say never
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Just to add to what Mythological was saying, for anyone who's played this all the way through, you may want to do so again as the ending has been totally revamped. The terrain mask he is talking about is pretty cool and worth checking out.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

hey myth and jb.
just one strange thing I noticed: not sure if it's a bug or feature.

I hosted the game at +2 income, and I noticed I had 4 income to start as a result. In other words. So hosting at +3 would = 5 base income to start.

Is this a bug or feature? :D Just checking!
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

it is intended that way : "normal" income in the slider means 2 income, so + 2 means 4 starting income

Never say never
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Yup. It's always been like that, though, at all maps, including the official ones.
Nosmos

Post by Nosmos »

just 2 things :
- the leadership (config says it should be level 5) of the lords ring doesnt seem to work
- perhaps it would be good to use the new terrain mask 1 turn earlier, positioning is really annoying because you have to switch and look what will change and what will stay ;)

and the plague yeti was a great idea :)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Nosmos wrote:just 2 things :
- the leadership (config says it should be level 5) of the lords ring doesnt seem to work
This one comes from a bug of wesnoth. It should be fixed in the next release (1.3.10; it is already fixed in SVN)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr