Traitor's Island 2v2 (Version 5)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

no thats not what he is refering to.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Nah, the one I was looking for was a shared keep 2v2. You couldn't recruit until the other leader moved out of his spot.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Double-posting to announce that version 3 of Traitor's Island is now available on the add-on server in Sapient's MP Mappack.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Well jb and Sapient Tratorously set me up with some noob ally who gets his leadeer killed on turn 3. But I won anyway :)

Whos the traitor now!?!?!
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

the game was a coin flip, your leader should've died as well. I hope your eternal soul was worth the wesnoth luck.

Its a fine map to kill time with, but not as serious a game. Slightly more serious than a rumble.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Pfft.

Becephalaus learned who was the REAL champion the next game, who doesn't need funny maps to win.

Where are your Dark Adepts now?
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Noy wrote:Pfft.

Becephalaus learned who was the REAL champion the next game, who doesn't need funny maps to win.

Where are your Dark Adepts now?
plotting their revenge.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Hmmm... Ok, here's the latest news on trying to balance this map. But first, an explanation.

A lot of people have asked me what I am trying to acheive with this crazy little map, and I tell them it is a "strategic comedy." It is not supposed to be a royal rumble (which is essentially a map where your leader's combat ability is more important that the rest of your entire army). Imagine being stuck in the back of a clowncar with your ally, and then you'll have a good idea of the strategic feeling I'm trying to capture here.

Now for the balancing issues in Version 4. The good news is it looks like the excessive mushroom forest and a little canyon have made the undead into a viable fighting force. But, now drakes are a bit too powerful. But the worst news is, Northerners now suck big time-- their only units worth recruiting here are assassins who are fairly useless against undead and trolls whose main job is to protect the orcish archers who just can't keep up with damage of the enemy magic users.

I was about to give up all hope of balancing it, when I realized that the Age of Heroes Era would simultaneously strengthen the Northerners and weaken the Drakes on this map. This is probably the only map that would be *more* balanced with Age of Heroes, but there you have it. The main drawback of AoH is it turns the map into more of a leader fight, which was one of the things I was trying to avoid. The net result of this is that any faction will be fairly balanced against the others with the assumption that you don't choose a poor leader type with that faction.

As a final note, I haven't tested it much on Age of Heroes yet, so let me know what you think.