Heavy Infantryman Pwn3d

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yogi Bear wrote:There is a really easy way to solve this: Let's try. Cuddlefish plays dwarves, one of the good players loyalists. Then we will see if recruiting HI is a bad idea or not. How about that instead of pointless "i am right and you don't know what you are talking about"?
The good players shouldn't have to waste time on every single person who thinks the game is unbalanced because they don't understand the strategy.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

appleide wrote:Appleide covers himself in ice, runs in.
Soliton wrote: The problem you're having is that you simply state things without any arguments backing it up as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Maybe it is to you, however if you want to have any chance in convincing someone else you better back your statements up.
CuddleFish wrote:a dwarf fighter can stand toe to toe against a HI at anytime except for daytime, dwarf fighters are cheaper, have better defense %, and have a better movement type
And ???
Except on hill and mountains an HI would survive longer than a dwarf fighter from enemies without impact, cold and fire, ie most enemies...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Noyga wrote:Except on hill and mountains an HI would survive longer than a dwarf fighter from enemies without impact, cold and fire, ie most enemies...
Most?

A quick count reveals that out of the recruitable units in Default, about 16 can bypass HI resistances, while 25 cannot. Furthermore, each faction against which the Loyalists might be placed has at least two units with impact, fire, or cold attacks.

Also, "Except on hills and mountains" is a pretty big exception.

A HI has 20% more resistance than the Dwarf to Blade and Pierce, but the Dwarf has 20% more to Fire and Cold and 10% more to Impact. Dwarf Fighters are also much more mobile than HI, moving faster on mountains, hills, forest, shallow water, swamp, tundra, cave, sand, and fungus, while being just as fast as the HI on all other terrains. The Dwarf has more defense on village, cave, shallow water, swamp, sand, mountains, castle, and hills. Otherwise, its defense is equal to the HI except for a 10% loss on forest.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

problem:
some devs think they are gods, they react violently to anyone with a different opinion

and to stay on topic, imo the only place where knalgans have trouble beating loyalists is on rumble maps, where HI have 50% def (insane)...
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

CuddleFish wrote:some devs think they are gods, they react violently to anyone with a different opinion
Don't feed the troll. :roll:
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

No Cuddlefish, thats not it. Devs get really pissed off when people come in here and tell them what to do, when its obvious that you don't have a grasp of the game. You have never stated any facts, you just throw around statements and claim that they are fact. People have challenged you to prove your claims like playing a couple of games, but I've seen no response out of you at all. You still haven't answered my question Cuddledfish:

What other unit requires five units to kill at minimum as a faction's best counter?

I'll give you an answer, none. And that how many thunderers it took to attack a HI. I'm the one who made this change, after playing probably 20+ games, where loyalists almost always won because the HI was completely unassailable by dwarvish attacks. I brought it forward and the three mp devs agreed that it was a serious problem, so we made the change.

Also most people who have something useful to say, ask it in a constructive manner, which you most certainly do not. They don't go and say what you did in a condecending way. Crying moderators are unfair, probably makes it less likely anybody will take you seriously at all.
Elvish_Pillager

Noy wrote:What other unit requires five units to kill at minimum as a faction's best counter?
Dwarvish Fighter against Northerners (except at Night and in bad defense), or Dwarvish Guardsman against lots of things, or Skeleton or Skeleton Archer against other Undead.

(although, I must say, I do agree with Tomsik... :|)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Noy wrote:What other unit requires five units to kill at minimum as a faction's best counter?
Dwarvish Fighter against Northerners (except at Night and in bad defense), or Dwarvish Guardsman against lots of things, or Skeleton or Skeleton Archer against other Undead.

Those are not the "best counters." Although this is a multiplayer question, so maybe the whole concept of factional balance might go over your head.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Ok, to just stop this pointless (imho) topic, I'm going to say one thing:

We balance factions, not units.

Thank you, have a good day.

I agree with Tomsik as well.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
appleide

Post by appleide »

Noy wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: Dwarvish Fighter against Northerners (except at Night and in bad defense), or Dwarvish Guardsman against lots of things, or Skeleton or Skeleton Archer against other Undead.

Those are not the "best counters." Although this is a multiplayer question, so maybe the whole concept of factional balance might go over your head.
So what about dwarvish guardsman vs Northeners? The assasin is the only way I can think of to deal with him, and you need to support the assasin with grunts/trolls too, to be able to remove the guardsman. i'd say it will take 3-4 Northeners over two turns to take out one guardsman in a village or maybe mountain.

(just so I dont get mistaken for condescending... I'll give everyone a smilie face : :))

Agrees with tomsik
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
JW

Post by JW »

appleide wrote:So what about dwarvish guardsman vs Northeners? The assasin is the only way I can think of to deal with him, and you need to support the assasin with grunts/trolls too, to be able to remove the guardsman. i'd say it will take 3-4 Northeners over two turns to take out one guardsman in a village or maybe mountain.

(just so I dont get mistaken for condescending... I'll give everyone a smilie face : :))

Agrees with tomsik
Archers, Apple?
Elvish_Pillager

JW wrote:Archers, Apple?
You fancy killing it with 5-2 at your best time of day? If you want to kill it in one turn, you need to surround it with six archers at Night when it's on 30% defense and it's still not a very sure thing. If you only want to use three archers to one guardsman, it'll take you at least two turns and if it's on a village or mountain like Applide suggested, it'll take you much longer - four turns for just the mountain, and that's assuming that it stays Night for four turns in a row! On the flip side, in those four turns, the Guardsman should be able to kill one of the Archers.

It seems to me that assassins are indeed the way to go against guardsmen.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
JW wrote:Archers, Apple?
You fancy killing it with 5-2 at your best time of day?
What 5-2? 4-2 at day, 6-2 at dawn/dusk, 7-2 at night.
Elvish Pillager wrote: It seems to me that assassins are indeed the way to go against guardsmen.
They are.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
appleide

Post by appleide »

Dragonking wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote: It seems to me that assassins are indeed the way to go against guardsmen.
They are.
Incidentally the Guardsman is the second best counter in the Knalgan factions against the assasin. (3 attacks blade.). So you'd need more than a single assasin to take out the guardsman. And if you want to kill the guardsman in a single turn, the assasin is utterly useless. You'll have to resort to using 6 orcish archers... Or 6 grunts/trolls if you got heaps of money to spend.

800th post ><
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Oh my....

appleide: assassin = poison ; poison => dead guardsman.
This is a reason why assassin is a must when you are facing guard - not _only_ assassins, but one assassin to poison it and OR prevent form healing in village OR let guard lose 8hp per turn.

And there is no such thing as 'killing guardsman in one turn' in 95% of the cases.