Heavy Infantryman Pwn3d

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Re: HI Pwn3d

Post by JW »

CuddleFish wrote:HI are not overpowered (against Knalgans), most of the time they have 30% to 40% defense, which means their blocking is as horrible as the drakes, if you put that into perspective, their 30% impact resistance isnt alot, a dwarf fighter can stand toe to toe against a HI at anytime except for daytime, dwarf fighters are cheaper, have better defense %, and have a better movement type

not only can knalgans stand toe to toe against HI, they have superior mobiliy, on medium and big maps this offers the knalgans superior village grabbing and fog clearing (some of you will never understand this cus you dont know how to use footpads and gryffs)
do you seriously think you're more intelligent at this game when it comes to balancing issues than Noy?

Noy is an MP dev. He obviously knows the game and how it plays. He's also a very good player, so you might want to assume that he knows 10x more about wesnoth than you do, not the reverse.

Good day.
Last edited by JW on October 5th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

JW wrote:Are you stupid?
No. He isn't.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
JW wrote:Are you stupid?
No. He isn't.
What I meant to ask was, "do you seriously think you're more intelligent at this game when it comes to balancing issues than Noy?"

It just came out that way accidentally. Editing.
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

dont try to supress me with your dev "godliness"
you were the ones who once asserted that "wesnoth is perfectly balanced"

QUOTE Noy
"every time someone says wesnoth is imbalanced, a little piece of noy dies"

*cough* hypocrites *cough*
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

If you boys plan on throwing mud at each other, take it to PM's. We don't need to see you embarass yourselves.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
<player>

Post by <player> »

Why do you have to change the Heavy Infantry?

The dwarves just need a unit(poacher could have fire arrow attack) to counter this unit. Besides the Heavy Infantry thing kind of sucks in comparasion to trolls
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

CuddleFish wrote:dont try to supress me with your dev "godliness"
you were the ones who once asserted that "wesnoth is perfectly balanced"
This pissess me off.

NEVER have I ever said that its perfectly balanced, neither has any of the devs.

And any long term player will say that the developers are some of the best players
Proof?
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12481

Soliton a 31-7 record. HMM
DK 14-8

In the 1v1 tournament soliton lost in the semi Finals. DK is in the finals. Becephalaus and I play each day, as do JW and I. Who are you exactly? Do you actually think you have the skill to play at the top level? really, be honest, do you?

You know if you asked this in a nice way, like "could you tell me the reason why X was changed? I think its unbalanced." I and everybody else would treat you kindly and consider your question respectfully. Instead you come in here proceed to tell us how to do our jobs and be rude and condecending about it at the same time.
JW

Post by JW »

first off, a "<3" emoticon for Noy.

second, cuddlingfish, you seem to have lots of "issues" with the official game. Why don't you change what you want, release your own version, and see how many people prefer it to what these devs make?
CuddleFish

Post by CuddleFish »

*posts something just to piss off noy and jw*

...anyways... i dont think the HI is worth 19 gold
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

If i thought the HI is not worth 19 gold, i wouldn't recruit it.

If i thought loyalists (or using the HI) are underpowered compared to dwarves and the best players don't, then i would in the first place think they will have reasons for it.

If i see the best players play and they recruit HI against dwarves and win, then i would think "hey, i must be missing something with the HI".

There is a really easy way to solve this: Let's try. Cuddlefish plays dwarves, one of the good players loyalists. Then we will see if recruiting HI is a bad idea or not. How about that instead of pointless "i am right and you don't know what you are talking about"?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

That's job of MP devs, let them do what they think is right, they have experience in balancing.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

CuddleFish wrote: ...anyways... i dont think the HI is worth 19 gold
The problem you're having is that you simply state things without any arguments backing it up as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Maybe it is to you, however if you want to have any chance in convincing someone else you better back your statements up.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

JW wrote:Cuddlefish, you seem to have lots of "issues" with the official game. Why don't you change what you want, release your own version, and see how many people prefer it to what these devs make?
Now that is a win-win solution...
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It really isn't.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Appleide covers himself in ice, runs in.
Soliton wrote:
CuddleFish wrote: ...anyways... i dont think the HI is worth 19 gold
The problem you're having is that you simply state things without any arguments backing it up as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Maybe it is to you, however if you want to have any chance in convincing someone else you better back your statements up.
CuddleFish wrote:a dwarf fighter can stand toe to toe against a HI at anytime except for daytime, dwarf fighters are cheaper, have better defense %, and have a better movement type
Appleide gets burnt, runs out.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.