The Dwarvish Treasure - Version 0.5

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

suokko wrote:Yeti problem could be that yetis have negative movement and while AI tries to solve move it runs some path finding core forever. That would be serius bug in AI but could possible cause of game crashing.
That sounds clever and likely even if they have not got negative but 0 moves. It worked fine for me though but maybe it is because I was the host.
suokko wrote:When hero kills creeps in AI turn player cannot select which path he wants to go. That appened to me twice with red mage leveleing and I eneded u pwith silver mage which isn't bad think with teleports all around world :)
That is not a scenario specific problem. It happens in normal MP games as well. You can only select your advancement during opponent turn when playing AI. :wink:
suokko wrote:It's very nice scenario.
Thank you :D
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Capn' Wankel wrote:Hey Baufo we have a little bug issue. I have been playing ur game a lot lately. The game went on infinite computer thinking mode when a yeti tried to attack a thunderer. I didn't think that the Yeti would attack but this is the second time this has happened.

The first time was on turn 2 when an assassin walked up and poisoned the yeti then on the computer's turn he attack with the yeti and it went in to think mode right when the yeti stopped attacking.

This last time the yeti attacked at the end of turn 14 and then right after the end of the attack the computer went in to think mode never to return.
Hmm since everybody seems to experience this problem I must find a solution. I will try Tomsik's suggestion to give the yeti 1 move but place terrain where it need 2 moves around it.
Capn' Wankel wrote: Another thing I found was when someone dies to a walking corpse he goes back to the start but his dead body turns to a walking corpse that gives no upgrade or health when killed. (dunno if there is anything u could do with that...not a real big deal if u ask me)
That's easy to fix. It's because I fire my die event for units with description "creep" not for units with type WC. I think I will fix it though.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Koles

Post by Koles »

I confirm the problem with Yeti. Everything was just fine untill yeti attacked. I was a host and I still had this problem. I hope you fix it today :D
Trolls Trolls Trolls :-]
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Koles wrote:I confirm the problem with Yeti. Everything was just fine untill yeti attacked. I was a host and I still had this problem. I hope you fix it today :D
I will try, the problem is that I don't really know how :P
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

0.1a

I need your testing experiences!!! Hope yeti bug is fixed (yeti has now got a "arena" where it is trapped in 2mp terrain while it has only got 1mp). Available at the campaigns server (drazzib.com at the moment).
Capn' Wankel

Post by Capn' Wankel »

Uh drazzib = french? I don't speak french. Sorry but I am a dumb american. Is it taboo to just post the map on the forum? In this thread?

Thanks again
Capn' Wankel

Post by Capn' Wankel »

Hey Baufo I just got done with another round of the bugged up Yeti map (Not the fixed map u just posted) and still had a great time except that there was a fire breathing drake with a sizeable offensive advantage.

Have you thought about removing the drakes? Or even just the burner? I think that the advantage lies with how many attacks that he is able to do by default being more than everyone else kinda tips the scales. Then when ever he gets a ranged attack upgrade he receives more of an advantage in maximum dmg every time he upgrades his ranged attack. Just somethin to think about.

Unless u put everybody on random character generator hehe.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Capn' Wankel wrote:Uh drazzib = french? I don't speak french. Sorry but I am a dumb american. Is it taboo to just post the map on the forum? In this thread?

Thanks again
Sure it is possible. But it is sooo easy to get it from the campaign server. Just enter drazzib.com when the game asks you for the url (usually campaigns.wesnoth.org).

PS: If you can't figure it out I will make another zip and post it.
PPS: I don't know french either
Koles

Post by Koles »

I have finished the 0.1a version and the game did not crashed :D

However I've observed that sometimes creeps are spawned onto the cave wall. It is not a big problem but looks weird :P
Trolls Trolls Trolls :-]
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Koles wrote:I have finished the 0.1a version and the game did not crashed :D

However I've observed that sometimes creeps are spawned onto the cave wall. It is not a big problem but looks weird :P
I am glad to hear that the scenario works now. I am not happy with the moving Yetis though.

The spawn of creeps on cave wall is caused by other units blocking the spawn. If so the game tries to find another unoccupied location next to the spawn hex. It does not care if the terrain of this hex is cave wall.
Capn' Wankel

Post by Capn' Wankel »

Hi Baufo this is Fist from the server...if you haven't made the connection yet hehe.

Seems that the yeti problem is fixed. From my first game with this fix I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing to have them move around a bit.

Some comments after having played this scenario non stop the ENTIRE weekend lol.

1) It seems as though if nothing else changes there should be more hp and more attack power from the 3 stone trolls in the middle.

2) It seems as though all larger enemies need to have ranged attack. Everybody so far has gone with large ranged attack as a player and it becomes easy to kill without being killed if the yetis and the stone trolls don't fire anything back.

3) Playing multiplayer with less than 6 ppl FULL TIME (NO DROP-OUTS) makes it an incredibly long game (50-60 turns) to get around the map and finally kill all 6 yetis to unstone the trolls. And then once you have done that it is easy for someone to just camp next to a stone troll and await the last yeti kill. Aside from a few more hp for killing that last yeti it is pretty much more advantageous to just wait at the doorstep.

4) A different set-up for troll spawning points might be nice so that they are more evenly distributed to the characters giving more of an even chance for each player to kill them.

5) It seems that there are some characters better suited to building damage multipliers than others....it would be nice to work out a way to create a more level playing field wether that be a shop to build a character in the beginning or otherwise limiting the choices from the beginning.

Anyways I am still addicted to this campaign and will be playing it some more tonight. There are a ton of different ideas on how to keep improving this. And I will be posting more when I have some really good ones to bring up.

Thanks again Baufo for making such a great map.

-Lee
Capn' Wankel

Post by Capn' Wankel »

PS- If you see a dwarvish treasure game hosted by Fist then please join in as an observer and when you are done viewing the beginning turns I will put you in if someone drops out (Happens all too often).
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Capn' Wankel wrote:Hi Baufo this is Fist from the server...if you haven't made the connection yet hehe.

Seems that the yeti problem is fixed. From my first game with this fix I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing to have them move around a bit.

Some comments after having played this scenario non stop the ENTIRE weekend lol.

1) It seems as though if nothing else changes there should be more hp and more attack power from the 3 stone trolls in the middle.

2) It seems as though all larger enemies need to have ranged attack. Everybody so far has gone with large ranged attack as a player and it becomes easy to kill without being killed if the yetis and the stone trolls don't fire anything back.

3) Playing multiplayer with less than 6 ppl FULL TIME (NO DROP-OUTS) makes it an incredibly long game (50-60 turns) to get around the map and finally kill all 6 yetis to unstone the trolls. And then once you have done that it is easy for someone to just camp next to a stone troll and await the last yeti kill. Aside from a few more hp for killing that last yeti it is pretty much more advantageous to just wait at the doorstep.

4) A different set-up for troll spawning points might be nice so that they are more evenly distributed to the characters giving more of an even chance for each player to kill them.

5) It seems that there are some characters better suited to building damage multipliers than others....it would be nice to work out a way to create a more level playing field wether that be a shop to build a character in the beginning or otherwise limiting the choices from the beginning.

Anyways I am still addicted to this campaign and will be playing it some more tonight. There are a ton of different ideas on how to keep improving this. And I will be posting more when I have some really good ones to bring up.

Thanks again Baufo for making such a great map.

-Lee
Thanks for your GREAT feedback. :D
I have not had enough time for really testing it much lately. So here is what I think.

1) Hmm since there are still the two water monsters that guard the entry too once the yetis are killed you will need at least 3 turns to pass them. But I might think about a slight HP increase and a ranged attack for them (see below)

2) Thank you for pointing that out. I think you are completly right. I will try to add more ranged creeps. Actually I wanted to make each second yeti a fire dragon (from TRoW) but as this unit is campaign specific it would force everybody who wants to join a game to download the scenario (+era) first. Maybe I will just add a nice ranged attack for the yetis.

3) I know that the game takes horrible long but I have found out that is also very playable with just 3 players (leaves slots 2,4,6 empty).
The only reason for the point system was that only players who have done some work (killed something big) could take the treasure. If you think the point limit is to low I am going to increase it, a bigger bonus for the last yeti kill is a good idea though.

4) Hmm is this a problem? I have not really noticed it yet but next game I will have a carefull look at it. Then I will decide what to do.

5) I know the era is not balanced (or how you would like to call it) yet. Could you be a bit more specific? What units do you think are better which worse?
Arhnayel

Post by Arhnayel »

Hello Baufo !

I played this map few times those last days with some friends and here are our feedback :

1) heroes too powerfull are drakes because of their fire ranged attack and their very powerfull close combat attack. Elves (arhcers, warriors) are quite powerfull too. But some wizards (darkness wizard, chaman) are very weak in the first turns for their attacks are low or do no damage to undeads creep. Maybe giving those characters a better attack ? Or lower drakes / elves ?

2) too much monsters of weak power. When you rise your melee attack, you kill nearly 2-3 monsters each computer's turn (and 1 at your own turn). And raise your hp by 20-30. So when you have to fight trolls, dwarfs, spiders and yetis, it's too easy. Maybe putting a turn limit ? Having a hp limit ? same for increase damage (we add a great red mage with 50-8 fire :/ he killed an ancient wose in 5 shots, the wose had 567 hp...). Not enough "challenge" if you see what I mean. Maybe changing the monster creation at turn 10-15 for no more lvl 0 and only lvl 1, then at turn 20-25 only lvl 2, then only lvl 3 at turn 30-35 (and they only give you simple bonus, big bonus should be reserved to yetis, potions, heroes etc.).

3) Big monsters should be more powerfull. As Capn'Wankel said, not enough ranged attack monsters so you can shoot the last monsters very easily.

4) Also a limit to the maximal amount of strikes. Having a character with 7+ strikes is insane. You say hello to a yeti and kill it in one turn :/

5) It should be impossible to poison dwarves, spiders, yetis, last big trolls. Too easy to kill a yeti you poisoned. Just wait few turns (go kill some lower creeps) and then kill it when it has only 10 or less hp.

I think that's all ! Anyway, it's a very cool map ! We had lot of fun ^^ Great job !
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
suokko
Inactive Developer

Post by suokko »

I think makeing creeps slowly stronger and stronger might make th rgame very intresting. Also manipulating creeps resitances might balance the starting advantage.

btw, fencer is quite easy to level and use skimisher ability to go past last guardians. also silver mage and drakes are very strong.