Suggestion for Paladin.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Maybe paladin should have mace instead of holy sword (and of course impact damage), and a little higher hp. I think his mace attack could be even stronger (9-5 instead of 8-5). It would make him more universal, but he still be quite strong against some undeads.
The best form of attack is counter-attack.
FleshPeeler
Location: A mystery wrapped in an enigma smothered with a three cheese blend.

Post by FleshPeeler »

Sandman wrote:Maybe paladin should have mace instead of holy sword (and of course impact damage), and a little higher hp. I think his mace attack could be even stronger (9-5 instead of 8-5). It would make him more universal, but he still be quite strong against some undeads.
That makes sense. How about a mace for melee and a ranged Holy attack of 6-3 or 7-3?
What if nobody ever asked "What if?"

FleshPeeler . . . Editting 5 times per every 1 post.
JW

Post by JW »

FleshPeeler wrote:That makes sense. How about a mace for melee and a ranged Holy attack of 6-3 or 7-3?
Let's give him Fly movetype while we're at it.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

And a bag of chips.[/unnecesary]

Hmmm...:
- Illuminate
- Self Heal
- Ranged Holy attack
- Cures
- Mace

Well, if we go with the pumped-up fantasy special one1one: Ranged Holy, Blade melee and heals should do it.

If we go with the grittier kind of Pâladin: Mace and Illuminate should do it.

I want a gritty Paladin. Impact is a good damage type (and it fits with the whole clerical side of war if you want to go that way), and Illuminate has been met with some support.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
toms

Post by toms »

With a mace and Illuminates, he is just a mage of light on a horse. My suggestion is to give him just a mace as an addition to his weapons. (10-3?)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Except no healing... or magical holy attack... yeah, completely the same.

"With these abilities, he is just a fish on a horse! Fishies shouldn't be riding horses! My suggestion is to give him water move."
toms

Post by toms »

Water move may be not the best idea, but he could get mountain move. That would give him even more movement flexibility, and he could also act as a powerful scout.

But anyway, why not Illuminates?? It would make him useful against non-undead too.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

I worry for people sometimes.

Post by Kestenvarn »

:|
JW

Re: I worry for people sometimes.

Post by JW »

Kestenvarn wrote::|
I concur.
Cuyo Quiz

Re: I awry for people sometimes. Some of them appreciate it.

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Kestenvarn wrote::|
You are a nice guy Kest, you really are, but there are some things beyond the scope of blunt straightforwardness.
...mage of light on a horse.
Except i don't want him blasting Undead at ranged. Also, Holy is pretty much overkill vs. Undead, and i would rather keep Holy attacks in more frail units as the Mages to compensate this.

On the healing department, i think that is sorta cheesy, thus i want only a Mace to bash Undead in a moderate way, and Illuminates for the special factor.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

the problem with impact is the ghost isnt hurt more by it... and i imagine the paladin running around disapearing ghost (or freeing the souls that are trapped).
i like the ranged holy attack idea but probably makes it too good a unit
2^x-1 mod x
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Oh look, this thread just produced something worth noticing.

I like Cuyo's idea. It simply works. He would be sufficiently distinguished from the GK but still useful. Illuminate and the impact damage would obviously make him effective against undead but unlike holy they can be used against other opponents as well. He wouldn't be the 'kicks undead arse 24 hours a day' that he is at the moment but he would damn handy to have about when up against undead.

To reply to Jew unit's objection, while he may not be so great against undead who resist impact, he can still use that illuminate to weaken them and support others in finishing them off.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Zhukov wrote:Oh look, this thread just produced something worth noticing.

I like Cuyo's idea. It simply works. He would be sufficiently distinguished from the GK but still useful. Illuminate and the impact damage would obviously make him effective against undead but unlike holy they can be used against other opponents as well. He wouldn't be the 'kicks undead arse 24 hours a day' that he is at the moment but he would damn handy to have about when up against undead.

To reply to Jew unit's objection, while he may not be so great against undead who resist impact, he can still use that illuminate to weaken them and support others in finishing them off.
But... I think he should lose his charge attack, illuminate, Impact, and have holy damage also dealt from his mace, this holy damage is weaker than the mace damage, but be better against ghosts and such.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Disagree. The whole point of the impact is to replace the mega-against-undead-but-crap-against-everything-else holy. If he loses charge the GK will still be the favoured unit.

I regret starting this thread.
appleide

Post by appleide »

You should agree too, it is definately not right for the paladin to be completely useless against the ghost.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.