Decline in MP Quality

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CuddleFish

Decline in MP Quality

Post by CuddleFish »

It seems recently that there aren't any good players online....

instead the lobby is filled with people who:

-leaves right after the game starts
-leaves in the middle of the game
-leaves when they are losing
-sends their land units into water... and then complain about their luck
-charges horsemen into spearmen.. and then cursing
-builds ONLY ulfserkers... and then get slaughtered and leave the game
-takes 30 minutes per turn
-insults other players
-spams the map with millions of labels
-sets the starting gold to 1000
-makes the team order: 1,1,2,2
-sets exp rate to 200%
-makes 6 player games on HUGE maps
-makes games in the classic era
-joins creep war games when they KNOW they didnt download roze's maps
-etc...

i'm just pointing something out...
"Quantity has a quality of its own" Joesph Stalin
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Decline in MP Quality

Post by Thrawn »

CuddleFish wrote:It seems recently that there aren't any good players online....

instead the lobby is filled with people who:

-leave right after the game starts
-leave in the middle of the game
-leave when they are losing
-send their land units into water... and then complain about their luck
-charge horsemen into spearmen.. and then cursing
-build ONLY ulfserkers... and then get slaughtered and leave the game
-take 30 minutes per turn
-insult other players
-spam the map with millions of labels
-set the starting gold to 1000
-make the team order: 1,1,2,2
-set exp rate to 200%
-make 6 player games on HUGE maps
-make games in the classic era
-join creep war games when they KNOW they didnt download roze's maps
-etc...

I'm just pointing something out...
*Points 1-3 I've always seen, and attribute to rudeness/less time than they think they have (I've had to leave games right as they start, so.)
---what annots me more are the people who don't message that they are leaving :grr:
*Points 4-7 I attribut to new people not realizing how exactly things work until after the fact and stupid people, who are always around.
*Point 8 is rudeness
*Point 9 depends on what the labels are-I've seen really homophobic stuff, but some label use is great--I use labels to point things out, celebrate victories, mourn defeats, and label suicided units, etc
*Points 10-14 are again noobnesses
*Point 15 confuses me: can't people play on maps they haven't downloaded? I do...:?

As to that, If you use the main one, I've played some decent people, though when I take games seriously I don't lose 8)

generally

:!: "People who" takes verbs without 's' endings
:!: Capitalize beginnings of sentances

sorry, but the grammar...:sighs: I hope this doesn't seem mean, but...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
JW

Post by JW »

Sorry, I haven't been playing much lately. :wink:
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Whats wrong with large maps and the classic era?
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Anyar wrote:Whats wrong with large maps and the classic era?
it has the groups listed by race, right? If so, completely unbalanced--teh only groups played would be humans and then (maybe) elves. Think about it: dwarved lose the outlaws, which become human. Drakes lose saurians, and they lose drakes. Elves lose mermen, mages...get the picture?

big maps take a really long time...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There's a reason that the Classic era was removed from official in 1.1.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:There's a reason that the Classic era was removed from official in 1.1.
good!

Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Thrawn wrote:
Anyar wrote:Whats wrong with large maps and the classic era?
it has the groups listed by race, right? If so, completely unbalanced--teh only groups played would be humans and then (maybe) elves. Think about it: dwarved lose the outlaws, which become human. Drakes lose saurians, and they lose drakes. Elves lose mermen, mages...get the picture?

big maps take a really long time...
Yeah that is true. Unbalanced games ARE fun sometimes though. And about big maps taking a long time... How do they degrade the quality of multiplayer? You can see the size of the map when selecting games...
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Also, Roze should now (as of 1.1.4) be able to implement his maps such that other people don't have to download them.

Also, I usually kick or ban players who persist in rudeness, if at all practical.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

all I've been getting is players leaving when things starting to look bleak, or leaving right at the start, which IMO is the worst.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

What i find most annoying is players who start games automatically when someone joins, without bothering to make sure they wanted to join that game, or are ready to start etc.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

CuddleFish wrote:-leaves when they are losing
I'm not sure why this one is a problem. Is there any benefit in dragging out the inevitable? The server doesn't keep stats after all...
Last edited by irrevenant on June 6th, 2006, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

irrevenant wrote:I'm not sure why this one is a problem. Is there any benefit in dragging out the inevitable? The server doesn't keep stats after all...
When they just leave and don't resign or say they are leaving that's annoying. I always resign if I'm in a truly lost position myself.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Arguement 1: Where's your honor? You choose to leave like a pussy when you know you can't win. (What's worse is leaving when they think they don't have an advantage anymore)

Arguement 2: By leaving before the game ends, you are showing your too immature to play a full game without giving up.
dasy2k1

Post by dasy2k1 »

im new to westnoth and allready i have been getting anoyed with the multiplayer.

mainly with people leaving as soon as the game starts, i hardly play a game to completion now as it gets boring when you are the only human player left the rest are all AI

i for one like big maps when i have time to play them (not so good if the turns are severliy limeted)
6 players on a large map can be really fun, (2 players on a large map is just boring)
especially is there is a 7th player who is AI and has loads of starting gold,

teams of 1 1 , 2 2 are ok if the map works with that, some only work well with
1 2 1 2

6p maps are good as 1 2 1 2 1 2 or 1 2 3 1 2 3

and unfortunatly bad grammer is somthing we have to put up with, many of the players recently speak either french or spanish as a primary lanugage, so cant be expected to speak perfect english,
also many people myself included make many typing errors when typing fast , the most frequent being teh for the