Good music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eldmannen

Good music

Post by Eldmannen »

Hello

I think that the music that is in Wesnoth is pretty good music, I also think that it is great that it is in the Ogg Vorbis format.

Good work guys!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

you post everywhere "its great, you use that and that, wow!" or non-wesnothian ideas, its normal?
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

Wesnoth music is not bad IMO, just need more improvement. Undead music merges with undead quite well i think that's the most suitible music for that race. orc, elf, loyalist,dwarf,drake all need to change their musics and orc's drum music is abit too noisy.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

NightBlade wrote: and orc's drum music is abit too noisy.
IMO orcs theme is the best music in BFW
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

the undead music is the most suitable. But wouldnt it be great if the game had a built in mp3 player...(like AOW:SM) You know just add song to your play list and listen to them in the game.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

pigandforks wrote:the undead music is the most suitable. But wouldnt it be great if the game had a built in mp3 player...(like AOW:SM)
No it would not, mp3 is a terrible format; pretty much the worst audio format in use today. Plus, it's patented, and this would raise severe legal questions. But mostly, I don't want to bloat the program with code to decode an audio format I never use--all my music is ogg or flac!
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

yeah i guessed there would be some sort of legal issues and im not saying mp3 is great but i am saying it is very common. Sometimes you have got to think more about what people want, what is "in" rather than what is best. but i look at the world from a marketing view point and ive only been studying it for a year isnt it funny the power these things have over people.
scott

Post by scott »

pigandforks wrote: you have got to think more about what people want, what is "in" rather than what is best.
Aha! You need to read TWP (see my sig). The game is only committed to what is best, and TWP explains why.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
pigandforks

Post by pigandforks »

haha i also guessed that would be coming. But i thought i would still express my opinion. I mean i think that people who are more interested in what they are doing than making money are fantastic. but i tend to think about the money and i think that current trends in the world would plave mp3 in a pretty good place wouldnt you agree. But it is obvious that wesnoth is not about mass marketing and is rather focused more on a niche market who are more, how should i say, computer geeks. I dont mean that in a bad way i am a bit of one my self.

Also i have nothing against ogg vorbis. Its just if you asks some people they are like what the crap is that. but everyone knows what mp3 is.
scott

Post by scott »

pigandforks wrote:haha i also guessed that would be coming. But i thought i would still express my opinion. I mean i think that people who are more interested in what they are doing than making money are fantastic. but i tend to think about the money and i think that current trends in the world would plave mp3 in a pretty good place wouldnt you agree. But it is obvious that wesnoth is not about mass marketing and is rather focused more on a niche market who are more, how should i say, computer geeks. I dont mean that in a bad way i am a bit of one my self.

Also i have nothing against ogg vorbis. Its just if you asks some people they are like what the crap is that. but everyone knows what mp3 is.
You speak the truth. Companies pay tons of money to use the mp3 format, and I don't think it's going away either. Consider this: what if we had a choice between .xcf and .psd, but we couldn't use .psd for free even though the whole world knows about photoshop? In light of that, it almost seems foolish to continue to use mp3, but music players are stuck with it. Ogg didn't exist back then, and they can't make players that no longer support people's music. iTunes lets you encode in (besides mp3) its own format but not ogg or flac. It's too bad. What jukebox program does let you rip cds in ogg or flac?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I think JetAudio does ogg. I use JetAudio a lot because it can play media of almost any type.

--Timothy
Laogeodritt

Post by Laogeodritt »

If I may voice my opinion on Wesnoth's music~

I find that, while well-composed, certain parts or instruments sound rather artificial, synthesized or unnatural. Some of the music, while it may fit the species, doesn't really fit the theme of battle or war. And... wel, I suppose some of them are a bit short.
Novatlan

Post by Novatlan »

I totally agree with you. A bit of the current music does not fit quite well into the game.
The new music done by Timothy and Aleksi is simply great , but as composing is a very time consuming work, it will be a long time until everything will be finished.
I offered my help as a composer für some music, but unfortunately at the moment there doen't seem to be any interest at all.
I think it would not disturb the work of Timothy and Aleksi if some smaller music files (for example map themes, general background music) would be done by other composers. This works perfectly well even in big games like WCIII. I think a variety of differentz composing styles enrichens the musical experience, expecially in a game ike BFW, where there are so many different factions to make music for. But of course this is a decision which has to be taken by the composers as they are in charge for the music.

Novatlan