New music tracks proposal

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gabrielsilver

New music tracks proposal

Post by gabrielsilver »

Hi all,

my name is Gabriel Silver,

I am your passionate player, as well as composer of music for images and films.

I recently composed an album called "Landscapes" which I think would merge perfectly with "Battle of Wesnoth".
For this album I used Vienna Symphonic Library, in my opinion the best sound library currently available.

Below is the link with 6 tracks, please listen to them all, you can choose a few or all of them if you want to add music to Battle of Wesnoth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsQtEbO ... bmJFVAMzCF

I can provide you original .ogg. or .wav files if needed.

Thank you all,

Gabriel Silver
lipk

Re: New music tracks proposal

Post by lipk »

Hi Gabriel,

Nice work on the album!

"Enchanted Forest", "Waiting for Dawn", "Dream of Peace" and "Arctic Heart" probably wouldn't add much to the repertoire, as there are quite a few songs which are fairly similar in sound/mood already. "Landscapes" and "Fantasy Bell" on the other hand are two excellent candidates for inclusion in my opinion.

I'm not really calling the shots though, I hope someone with a bit more expertise/authority will chime in.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

In general, I think tracks would have to be of quite considerable quality to be added to the default playlist (which already has a lot of tracks in it, I think a couple hour's worth of music). However, I'm thinking some of these may work as incidental music in campaigns (especially as leitmotifs for specific characters or even writing motifs), but I'd need to find a place for them. In that circumstance, it might also need to wait for the potential SP campaign rework/reorganization, which is currently on the table.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Don't forget that we don't have just mainline content, but also UMCs. This means that add-on authors can use your tracks right now, if they want to. So...
gabrielsilver wrote: January 6th, 2020, 11:40 am I can provide you original .ogg. or .wav files if needed.
Can you please upload them? Don't forget that, to be uploaded on the server, music tracks must be released as public domain, or under the GPL license, or under one of the Creative Commons licenses, so that's another point to clarify. Which license do you want to use?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

To add on a couple details: For mainline Wesnoth, all music uses the .ogg format, and must be licensed as CC BY-SA 4.0.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gabrielsilver

Post by gabrielsilver »

Hi all,

thanks, as soon as possible I will export the .ogg tracks and I will upload them to the server, I will notify you upon completion.

For me there is no licensing problem, as required I will apply a CC BY-SA 4.0 license, I will follow the informations provided with this guide:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wesnoth:Copyri ... tributions.

Thanks,

Gabriel Silver
gabrielsilver

Post by gabrielsilver »

Hi all,

I have just uploaded a new addon called "Landscapes Music"

Since this is my first addon, could someone check if content is availabe and if licensing is OK or if is something still missing?

If you detect any error please inform me and I will provide a new version of the content.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel Silver
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Looks good to me.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello gabrielsilver,

I couldn't use the youtube link, but I downloaded your add-on, and your tracks are great. I really liked Dream_of_Peace, but I think Fantasy_Bell quickly gets to something not quite available in the current soundtrack and would be a good addition.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi gabrielsilver! Great work. I love the music you have written and it really fits the wesnoth style!

(I was only going to check what you did but after hearing the quality of enchanted forests I am stunned. I was some good music but I am very impressed.)
  • Enchanted forests is gorgeous and really puts me in the world of elves and dwarves.
  • Waiting for Dawn is really nice as well, though personally too much trumpets for me haha.
  • Landscapes has an epic tone of war-drums and battlelines being drawn up. I think the latter part sounds more modern but so potentially not as wesnoth
  • Dream of Peace is exactly that. Perfect.
  • Fantasy Bells evokes an mystical vibe of forest wandering and has a perfectly stunning use of bells.
  • Arctic Heart doesn't feel overly arctic. Its very nice and makes me think of the sound of leaves falling.
Overall, very impressive work. If you have made more music I would love to hear it! :D

I think in general longer tracks are used in wesnoth but would fully endorse these being added! I would say in particular Enchanted forests, Landscapes and Fantasy Bells could fit best in wesnoth. But either way I am sure there are a number of add-ons that would be interested in having music of this quality!
gabrielsilver

Post by gabrielsilver »

Hi all,

Thank you for all your detailed feedback. I am available for any additions or changes, for example, if needed, I could increase the duration of the tracks according to the needs of the gameplay.

If you have preferences on some types of music/setting, I could gladly create new ones based on your requests.

Thank you so much for your passionate comments.

Gabriel Silver
gabrielsilver

Post by gabrielsilver »

Hi,

I have just published the last two tracks of the album "Landscapes": Rainfall and Heavens.

Rainfall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdTCMHoEwgg

Heavens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvwWOGH7bQ

If someone is interested to use them for any game development I can upload these tracks with the same license of the others.
Thanks

Gabriel Silver
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

gabrielsilver wrote: January 21st, 2020, 2:21 pm If someone is interested to use them for any game development I can upload these tracks with the same license of the others.
Yes, please. I'm sure that UMC authors, sooner or later, will use them. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Absolutely! These sound great!
gabrielsilver

Post by gabrielsilver »

Hi all,

sorry for late answer but I had a lot of work to do.

However the new tracks have been uploaded.

ENJOY!!! :)