Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ghype

Re: Voiceover for An Orcish Incursion Development thread

Post by ghype »

ghype wrote: January 14th, 2019, 12:52 pm don'T take me wrong , the quality is wrong. it is alright for a UMC campaign. but for mainline...
i must apologise, there was a typo. I ment "the quality isn't wrong" as in it is not bad.

about theuncertainman his voice samples, these are fantastic quality wise. thats all someone would ask for.
I can imagine these would work even better if there would be a not so loud background music from some of wesnoth themes. just to fill the emptyspaces
theuncertainman

Post by theuncertainman »

ghype wrote: January 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm
i must apologise, there was a typo. I ment "the quality isn't wrong" as in it is not bad.

about theuncertainman his voice samples, these are fantastic quality wise. thats all someone would ask for.
I can imagine these would work even better if there would be a not so loud background music from some of wesnoth themes. just to fill the emptyspaces
Thank you, and yes that's less harsh. I think it's important that we give polite feedback. :lol:

Cheers for the kind words. Is the echo in the room noticable? Is there anything I can do to improve these recordings? I really want to do more voice acting, but sadly in student accommodation its difficult to have a padded environment.

Also holy crap, this Audio Technica microphone looks awesome - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/au ... -your-buck

My AT2020USB+ records at 16 bit, 44.1/48 kHz.
This AT202USBi records at 24-bit, 96 kHz.

USB mics are really improving :D
ghype

Post by ghype »

yes, i can hear the reverb but its very subtle (around 50ms).

you can fix this easily by either shrouding yourself into a big towel (like place it on top of your head and the mic so no you got no wall reflections) or simply ask some one to hold it for you. Just be careful to not let the towel touch the mic
theuncertainman

ghype wrote: January 14th, 2019, 8:13 pm yes, i can hear the reverb but its very subtle (around 50ms).

you can fix this easily by either shrouding yourself into a big towel (like place it on top of your head and the mic so no you got no wall reflections) or simply ask some one to hold it for you. Just be careful to not let the towel touch the mic
Sadly that's what I've been doing. I stood foam tiles around the tile and covered myself with a thick blanket. :(
ghype

Post by ghype »

do you have a closet?
theuncertainman

Sadly my cupboard is not something I can climb inside. I'll find a way to pad the room a bit more.
ghype

Post by ghype »

The question regarding the closet was more a rhetorical one, since you probably considered that when you already used the towel trick.

For commercial records the towel trick will work fine since you will be adding reverb effect on vocals anyway. I know some songs that made tens of millions plays using the towel trick ..

But for this kind of stuff, maybe it is enough to move your recording set up into a room that is filled with stuffs. I assume your bedroom is a square-ish room and there is not a lot of stuff/furniture in the room, hence you get the reflections which can be heard int he records
But if you go into a room that is cramped with staff, that has a lot of things on the wall, curtains, rugs on the floor, sofas. Anything that makes the room less irregular regarding the reflections will help the your recordings.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

An impact filter of a microphone will work as well as a towel or a closet :eng:.
*ducks*
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi everyone. Good to hear that the progress is continuing very well! Quite an interesting conversation about how to improve sound quality. :) Personally I have neither a semi-decent microphone or any skill at recording sound so I will stick with the coding side of the project for now ;)

But what you all have done is quite impressive!

@gyphe - Thank you for your feedback, it is always good to have extra ideas and also support. It is good to know that other people are actually interested in this project. :)

@theuncertainman - I listened to your recordings of Elornas and am really impressed!! They all sound great quality, very well done.
theuncertainman

Heindal wrote: January 15th, 2019, 5:10 pm An impact filter of a microphone will work as well as a towel or a closet :eng:.
*ducks*
Sadly it's just not enough in my current accommodation.

I'll continue recording if no one has any concerns with my lines for Erlornas. If you guys think I should redo any lines just let me know.
ghype

Post by ghype »

they are all quite alright and if you guys really gonna have some low volume background music during the voiceovers, not eve I am gonna notice the small reverberation ...
theuncertainman

Erlornas Scenario 2.7z
(3.9 MiB) Downloaded 447 times
Scenario 2 done. Let me know if any changes or improvements need to be made.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

theuncertainman wrote: January 16th, 2019, 5:33 pm Erlornas Scenario 2.7z

Scenario 2 done. Let me know if any changes or improvements need to be made.
Awesome, again they all sound really good! :D

I personally like all of the takes you have done. Which would you prefer I put into the game to be used? I would say 2_1 take2, 2_2 take3,2_4 take2, 2_6 take2 but I have relatively little expertise in the area of sound, so let me know what you all think.

I will start putting them into the campaign now so we can hear what it sounds like! :D
theuncertainman

I was going to leave that up to you. I tried a more arrogant/annoyed Erlornas, then a more milder voice. It depends on what you prefer.

Also if you have s preference for how I should voice him I'll start focusing on that. At the moment I'm just guessing.
theuncertainman

Incomminnng. Scenario 4 and 5 will be done tomorrow.
Erlornas Scenario 3.7z
(6.5 MiB) Downloaded 546 times